News   Jul 17, 2024
 468     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 612     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

How about we do both? An article in the Star today noted that Toronto had by far the lowest Property tax rates in the GTHA. I say we return to large annual tax hikes (5-6%) and use that extra money to rebuild and expand our infrastructure.

Agreed. We should be doing that.

Metrolinx will be giving the city a couple hundred million a year for SOGR and other smaller capital expansions with the transit taxes as well.

Certainly useful funding but I don't think the City/TTC should be operating with the assumption this funding is guaranteed; not until the provincial budget passes that includes it.

How about we do both? An article in the Star today noted that Toronto had by far the lowest Property tax rates in the GTHA. I say we return to large annual tax hikes (5-6%) and use that extra money to rebuild and expand our infrastructure.

I don't live in the city but I do think that people who do get beaten over the head a little bit with this notion of the "lowest property tax rates" thing.

It is, factually, correct. The mill rate in Toronto is lower than anywhere else in the GTHA. Yes, my mill rate in Brampton is significantly higher than the guy in the office next to me who happens to live in Toronto.

The fact is, though, he does not write cheques for mill rates he writes cheques for actual tax bills. His house is much smaller than mine but he pays in annual taxes nearly double what I pay. Yes, it is because his house has a higher market value than mine but he certainly does not "feel" like he pays much lower taxes than me.

There is an argument that part of what makes city living at all affordable is the lower mill rate. Not sure how big a factor it is but if you started to catch Toronto's mill rate up with the other GTHA municipalities you would see an impact on house prices/values in the city.....depending on general market conditions, it could slow the growth in property values or it could even turn them negative (not on its own but it is a factor)......since, again, market values play a part in the total dollars collected equation, it becomes a bit of a circular argument.

Last edited:
I'm not talking mill rate, I'm talking average bill. The Average bill is $1,100 below the average bill in other GTA municipalities. Your friend of course owns a much more expensive home, so will be paying a much larger tax bill than you.

I'm not talking mill rate, I'm talking average bill. The Average bill is $1,100 below the average bill in other GTA municipalities. Your friend of course owns a much more expensive home, so will be paying a much larger tax bill than you.

What is the average property tax bill in Toronto?

Council now debating whether to defer the funding or not.

Thats all it seems they ever do - defer funding or defer having to make deciisons - or send things for city staff to report back on. What do these councillors really do? Other than being career politicans.

Something like $3,400, I forget the exact number.

now doubt skewed downward by the uniquely high number of condos. I bet when you compare like to like (ie. compare avg condo in Toronto to rest of GTA and average SFD to average SFD) then the actual bills being paid are either the same or higher in Toronto....just a guess.

Man listening to Matlow it's not that he's exactly wrong but his attitude answering some of these questions rubs me the wrong way. For example (notwithstanding right or wrong) he attacks the high ridership numbers as hypothetical but his lower projections are factually correct when both numbers come from places like the TTC or Metrolinx.

My candidate for mayor, Karen Stintz, is on fire questioning Matlow. Go Karen Go!

Ugh she is annoying.

Is it a fact that... [insert political decision]?

Is it a fact that... [insert another political decision]?

Is it a fact that... [insert more politics]?

What about the facts from the expert planners who don't agree with her pet project?

Last edited:
now doubt skewed downward by the uniquely high number of condos. I bet when you compare like to like (ie. compare avg condo in Toronto to rest of GTA and average SFD to average SFD) then the actual bills being paid are either the same or higher in Toronto....just a guess.

and suddenly condo owners don't count? only people living in single family homes are real taxpayers? whether you live in a condo or a house you need to access city services.. Single Family homes in Toronto are by the nature of their location much more valuable, and that obviously means higher taxes.

and suddenly condo owners don't count? only people living in single family homes are real taxpayers? whether you live in a condo or a house you need to access city services.. Single Family homes in Toronto are by the nature of their location much more valuable, and that obviously means higher taxes.

Wow.....i really need a map showing me where I said anyone did not count...got one?

What I said is, if you compare like to like, I don't think people in Toronto are actually paying lower tax bills. So the condo owner in Toronto is paying a tax rate that when combined with their condo value likely results in a higher tax bill than a condo owner in a similar condo in the 905....same for single family dwellings.

All I said is that with the higher number of condos in Toronto, the overall homeowner tax bill is probably skewed downward....but as you choose, feel free to say I said something different. ;)

Back