News   Jul 17, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 631     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

You cannot give RH a subway, downtown one and the LRT for Scarborough. It would look unfair, even though it would be apt based on density and potential riders.
Since when was the Provincial government ever fair? Look at how badly they screw Toronto compared to northern communities, when you look at taxation versus spending.

Shhhh don't tell the northern communities that, they are livid the province doesn't give them everything they want. Someone from Timmons freaked at glen Murray on Twitter for not twinning highway 11 all the way to Timmons... The liberals are very, very unpopular up there despite sinking more money into the north than most previous governments.

Sad to say, I'm starting to agree with you. Sure LRT might make more sense ... but there comes a point where it's simply being destructive to try and change it.

I use to really like Josh Matlow. In fact, up to two years ago I looked at him as a potential future mayor of Toronto. I still have a lot of respect for the guy, but now he is looking desperate to me. I like David Soknacki too, but the fact this guy is pushing for a plan that has been scrapped and isn't favoured by any level of government is telling me this guy is wasting time on this Scarborough transit debate again. Let's move onto bigger and better transit projects like the needed Relief Line. The LRT plan was a good plan, yes, but in the end, a subway extension plan won. Going back to the LRT plan that the provincial and federal governments do not endorse is silly at this point and for me makes politicians like Josh Matlow and David Soknacki look foolish.

And to be honest, if Vaughan is getting subway stations, Richmond Hill has planned subway stations for the future and we'll most likely see subway expansion into Mississauga in the future, by building a few stations into the heart of Scarborough we can FINALLY shut this so called 'Scarborough deserves a subway' debate forever. If the LRT goes in, in 30 years it wouldn't shock me if the future Toronto city council will be debating about subway expansion up to the Scarborough Town Centre. Let's just built the Bloor-Danforth extension up to Sheppard Aveune and move onto more needed transit projects.

Last edited:
Since when was the Provincial government ever fair? Look at how badly they screw Toronto compared to northern communities, when you look at taxation versus spending.

Doesn't the City of Toronto pay somewhere along the lines of $11 Billion in taxes to the province that it doesn't see in services? Whenever someone from the north (or anywhere else in Ontario) starts rambling on about how Toronto is this monolithic entity sucking the money from the provincial coffers, kindly ask them to write their MP to vote on legislation giving that $11 Billion a year back to the city. I would very much like to use that money towards gold plated subways under every street in this city.

I doubt we will see too many increases in price, the current estimate is rather high and the extension is rather basic.

The final price also depends on things outside of TTC control such as the high-rise market. Perhaps we'll get a conveniently timed recession and an unexpectedly low tender.

Last edited:
I use to really like Josh Matlow. In fact, up to two years ago I looked at him as a potential future mayor of Toronto. I still have a lot of respect for the guy, but now he is looking desperate to me. I like David Soknacki too, but the fact this guy is pushing for a plan that has been scrapped and isn't favoured by any level of government is telling me this guy is wasting time on this Scarborough transit debate again. Let's move onto bigger and better transit projects like the needed Relief Line. The LRT plan was a good plan, yes, but in the end, a subway extension plan won. Going back to the LRT plan that the provincial and federal governments do not endorse is silly at this point and for me makes politicians like Josh Matlow and David Soknacki look foolish.

And to be honest, if Vaughan is getting subway stations, Richmond Hill has planned subway stations for the future and we'll most likely see subway expansion into Mississauga in the future, by building a few stations into the heart of Scarborough we can FINALLY shut this so called 'Scarborough deserves a subway' debate forever. If the LRT goes in, in 30 years it wouldn't shock me if the future Toronto city council will be debating about subway expansion up to the Scarborough Town Centre. Let's just built the Bloor-Danforth extension up to Sheppard Aveune and move onto more needed transit projects.

Matlow is a very vocal advocate of the Relief Line, as well as Eglinton Phase 2.
He's my councillor. I emailed him once about local development issues, and he called me to discuss it, so he's very good with communicating with his constituents.

With regards to Scarborough, I think we should probably stick with the subway, I believe there is a case for it. Having said that, the LRT plan was and still is much further along than the subway route in terms of having the EA complete and being ready to start construction. The real shame is that we didn't choose a plan and stick with it. If we had originally choose the plan we're currently on we'd be years ahead, instead we're at square one and possibly years away from the start of construction.

If we switch again to LRT it could probably open quicker than the subway, but SRT riders would have to ride on buses for years, and people will have NO faith in our politicians or transit planners for being unable to stick with a decision.

If we stick with the subway it's still so many years away from opening that people don't really care or believe it will ever happen.

Shhhh don't tell the northern communities that, they are livid the province doesn't give them everything they want. Someone from Timmons freaked at glen Murray on Twitter for not twinning highway 11 all the way to Timmons... The liberals are very, very unpopular up there despite sinking more money into the north than most previous governments.
Good grief ... Timmins population 45,000. 350 km of highway? Just looking at the AADTs - http://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/techpubs/TrafficVolumes.nsf/fa027808647879788525708a004b5df8/f51986ea499a13b08525745f006dd30b/$FILE/Provincial%20Highways%20Traffic%20Volumes%202010%20AADT%20Only.pdf

Most of the section south of North Bay is a pathetic 7,000 ... but that's huge compared to the 2,500 or so for much of the route north of North Bay! Compare to the 2-lane highway 7 between KW and Guelph which they've been promising to twin since the 1960s and is about 20,000.

The complete lack of perspective of those in the north, about how much financial assistance they get from the province is shocking. That being said, I don't see any tweets to @glen4ont on the subject.

Last edited:

I'd have been happy to stick with the LRT plan, so that it's build by 2015 (or 2020 after McGuinty and Ford messed it up). But now that we're going subway, I agree.

I fear that Matlow will look like a fool in 30 years time, just like Jack Layton and the NDP look like fools now, for their enthusiasm for killing the DRL in the 1980s, because they were afraid it would lead to development downtown (and there's a question I'd like to put to Olivia Chow if she knocks on my door!)

Can't they just pave a temporary bus route somewhere a long the ROW.

I'd like to see a buses-only road run from Kennedy, through the Gatineau hydro corridor, to McCowan. At least that way buses from STC can bypass the Danforth-Brimley-Eglinton area.

If the SRT is going to be shut down before the subway is open, especially if the timeframe we're talking about is in years, this type of solution (in the $50M range), would be a wise investment. And in the total budget of the subway extension, $50 million is a rounding error.

Back