News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 486     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

How exactly is the blue line overbuilt if there has been a business case to extend it since the 80's?

You kinda answered your own question.

40 years and all available money went into maintenance and subsidized fares, not an extension. Clearly the business case wasn't very good.

Last edited:
You kinda answered your own question.

40 years and all available money went into maintenance and subsidized fares, not an extension. Clearly the business case wasn't very good.
That's a good way of twisting my comment.

That's a good way of twisting my comment.

You brought the facts to the table; I just interpreted them differently.

Line G (New York), Blue Line (Montreal), and Sheppard Line (Toronto) are all examples of the same high-priced mistake.

Last edited:
You brought the facts to the table; I just interpreted them differently.

Line G (New York), Blue Line (Montreal), and Sheppard Line (Toronto) are all examples of the same high-priced mistake.
I genuinely don't know how delusional someone has to be to believe this. I kind of get the Sheppard line, but the other 2?

I genuinely don't know how delusional someone has to be to believe this. I kind of get the Sheppard line, but the other 2?
I save the term delusional for the complete wack job. Not just for someone you have a minor grievance with. For instance I don't always agree with you but I don't use the term delusional to describe you because that would be disrespectful and not helpful to discussion. OneCity on the other hand...

I save the term delusional for the complete wack job. Not just for someone you have a minor grievance with. For instance I don't always agree with you but I don't use the term delusional to describe you because that would be disrespectful and not helpful to discussion. OneCity on the other hand...
But it is a delusional statement, The IND Crosstown was opened between 1933 and 1937, the line is at least 86 years old, built at a time where the car wasn't really a thing, NYC's population was booming, and the density of Manhattan was becoming severely limited. The line still sees 150K passengers per day on a 9.5km long line.

The blue line in Montreal is a 9.7km line that sees about 150K PPD.

This equates to about 15K Pass/line km. They're both doing just fine as subways.

I assume residents know that taking the bust 2 stops to buy groceries, or kids going a few stops to school, can never be improved by an LRT with stop spacing 4 times farther apart. You save a few seconds of travel time, but increase walk time by minutes.

Really?

All Scarborough residents are no more than two bus stops from the closest grocery store or school??

What a magical place Scarborough is!

Sounds like they don't need a subway nor LRT. Just some new GO stations, which I'm sure will be walking distance from anywhere in Scarborough. ;)

Last edited:
Really?

All Scarborough residents are no more than two bus stops from the closest grocery store or school??

Sounds like they don't need a sbuway or LRT. Just some new GO stations, which I'm sure will be walking distance from anywhere in Scarborough. ;)
Maybe they just need bike lanes to the closest GO train or smart track station.

Really?

Sounds like they don't need a subway nor LRT. Just some new GO stations, which I'm sure will be walking distance from anywhere in Scarborough. ;)

Lol in Scarborough getting to the local Walmart by transit is an hour long affair

Lol in Scarborough getting to the local Walmart by transit is an hour long affair

In the old city of Toronto, stores were within a block or two of residents, walking distance. In the newer suburbs, the stores are far from residents, meaning the requirement of the car. Changing these days, but need changes to zoning to do that.

It is kind of true that Scarborough residents are a few bus stops away from the local grocery store. With the exception of Northern Scarborough, overall Scarborough isn't some suburban dystopia like Mississauga or Markham are. There is commercial/retail areas spread throughout.

But let's analyze it a bit further. A few bus stops away from groceries and amenities it may well be, but for most there is also a 10 minute walk to get to that bus stop.

10 Minutes walking, 6-7 minutes waiting at bus stop, plus another 5 or so minutes to travel a few bus stops begins to add up. Both ways while holding groceries on the return trip? In negative 10 degrees winter weather?

That is not a competitive trip compared to the car. Neither LRT and especially not the subway will address that.

In contrast, here in Midtown I can go to the grocery store and back in the time it takes the Scarborough resident to walk to the bus stop.

It is kind of true that Scarborough residents are a few bus stops away from the local grocery store. With the exception of Northern Scarborough, overall Scarborough isn't some suburban dystopia like Mississauga or Markham are. There is commercial/retail areas spread throughout.

But let's analyze it a bit further. A few bus stops away from groceries and amenities it may well be, but for most there is also a 10 minute walk to get to that bus stop.

10 Minutes walking, 6-7 minutes waiting at bus stop, plus another 5 or so minutes to travel a few bus stops begins to add up. Both ways while holding groceries on the return trip? In negative 10 degrees winter weather?

That is not a competitive trip compared to the car. Neither LRT and especially not the subway will address that.

In contrast, here in Midtown I can go to the grocery store and back in the time it takes the Scarborough resident to walk to the bus stop.

My experience in Scarborough is that there are some areas where you're a few stops away from a grocery store - but it may not be the store you need. There are plenty of areas that are more than a few stops away.

Stops in Scarborough can also be fairly far apart. Two bus stops isn't always a short distance.

If we're talking about getting downtown, expanded GO service would be, by far, the most common sense thing to implement.

Back