News   Oct 16, 2024
 158     0 
News   Oct 16, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Oct 16, 2024
 506     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

the Minister says next week the policy will be enacted so i doubt there will be any discussion by then

Not correct.

Its part of legislation that will be introduced next week.

While not impossible, it is profoundly unlikely the government will get the bill through 3 readings and royal assent in less than a week.

In other depressing news. Parkside Drive Bike lanes won't see the light of day

report to the infrastructure committee next week

note the estimated 1-4 minute increase in travel time which makes this impossible to pass

To be clear, the report recommends approval of Cycle Tracks on Parkside, in principle.

In principle, because the City has yet to complete detailed design, and isn't ready to implement the recommended changes yet, which are tentatively proposed far as early as 2026-2027, but likely one year later.

I expect the report to pass Council, baring any surprises.

As to whether the province would veto changes here, in the future, should their proposed law pass............

I'm not so sure. While its possible......

This is Parkdale-High Park. A place with an NDP MPP and Gord Perks as Councillor; one in which the PCs are hardly competitive.

Now, some of the drivers are from other ridings, of course.

The riding to the north is York-South-Weston.......which is held by..... Michael Ford.

“Work together”… when has Mayor Tory or Chow worked with Queen’s Park and the Ministry of Transportation on bike lanes? And I'm not necessarily saying Chow should, but don't make claims that cooperation is best when you're impacting the roads of the province's capital city without consulting Queen's Park. I'd rather Chow exclaimed, regardless of official jurisdiction, "stay in your lane".

In other depressing news. Parkside Drive Bike lanes won't see the light of day
For Parkside Drive, I would do two things. One, I would push this wall further into the park to widen the sidewalk and install a separate bidirectional bike lane between the sidewalk and wall.

parkside.png

Next, we need to throttle down the speed of vehicular traffic. There's no point in speed cameras and 40 kph speed limit signs if the road itself is capable of 60 kph or more speed. So, speed bumps, chicanes and more traffic lights to show Parkside down. And consider to make Parkside one way north in the PM, one way south in the AM. Likely not possible, but it would be fun to see those out of towners squirm.

Last edited:
I wrote my MPP and cc'd the Minister's office and the mayor's office.

I think this is really unreasonable overreach into local affairs. It's not like the province doesn't have matters of provincial significance to attend to, and the standard projects are being held to makes this a de facto ban on new bike lanes that remove car lanes, even if the road is not at capacity (which is often the case with 4 to 3 road diets).

Interestingly, from the article wording it doesn't appear to ban removal of car lanes if you don't replace them with a bike lane.

Oh look, here's this emergency vehicles only corridor created 2 years ago which could be turned into a bike lane.

Interestingly, from the article wording it doesn't appear to ban removal of car lanes if you don't replace them with a bike lane.

Oh look, here's this emergency vehicles only corridor created 2 years ago which could be turned into a bike lane.
Yup, or we install more RapidTO bus (+bike) lanes. :)

I really don't like riding in them, but much better than riding in traffic.

DJI_0035-HDR-2.jpeg

Kingston Road looking west at Scarborough Golf Club Road

I lived further north than North Bay for years. People commuted to work by bike there.
Well, if enough of them care about the issue they'll vote accordingly.
1. All bike lanes need provincial review no matter what
If the province wants to be involved in bike lanes, then they should go all in with setting a provincial standard. For starters, bike lanes are never indicated by paint alone on any road with 40 kph or faster speed. Paint is not infrastructure.

Right the wording has been changed from the news articles a few weeks ago.
The whole "removal of car lanes" section was removed

Right now, as written, If a bike lane has any impact on traffic, even the slightest, its dead.
Simple as that

Reactions: rbt

Or one could turn parking lanes into bike lanes, or sidewalks. It is TOTALLY ridiculous to transfer very local planning decisions from a local council (and community council) to the provincial MOT - who are clearly incapable of managing the major transit projects THEY DO have responsibility for. If the Fords want to take over how some or all local roads are used then THEY should look after them completely - and pay the costs.

"Multi Use Path".

That's the terminology. Think of Queens Quay or the Martin Goodman trail. No one is building bike planes, we extend sidewalks into a promenade with a multi use path.

Who would have thought 15 years ago that the combination of the Ford brothers would do so much harm to Toronto.
Kind of makes you miss the old days when Rob Ford's buffoonery was relegated to his irrelevant fiefdom of northern Etobicoke where he was easily ignored.

Has Bonnie Crombie said anything about this outrage? Why is she invisible?
I think so far only the Greens have said something about it?

Unfortunately, I think this is just one of those things that you might want to avoid talking about because it's exactly one of those populist policies that are actually popular but counterproductive. Maybe if it is framed as overreach and overriding municipal authority, some favours *might* be gained...

Back