News   Jul 29, 2024
 92     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 418     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

A dumpster is a bit extreme, but I don't take the position some people here have that a stopped UPS van is "attempted murder"
Park that UPS truck across train tracks and cause a deadly incident and they’ll be criminal charges.. Why are bike lanes different?

Of course the best way to prevent bike lane blockers is to make them physically difficult to block. And that's why bikes lanes should never rely solely on painted lines, nor low curbs like pictured below.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-23-at-11.01.41-AM-300x300.jpg
20230529-bike-lanes-toronto-2.jpg

Instead, higher, precast bicycle dividers, like from https://www.sandersonconcrete.ca/high-profile-bike-lane-dividers should be the norm, not the exception. If every sidewalk must have a raised curb, why not bike lanes?

Last edited:
I guess I could soften it to being the responsibility of the city, as well as design guide producers/regulators/the province, and the engineering profession responsible for the same. It is not really the fault of the victims, or even of the users of the infra, if injury and death results from predictable use of that infrastructure.

It's intentionally a bit provocative. We need to treat unsafe infrastructure and the resulting deaths and injuries as the fault of the people who are responsible for designing, building and maintaining that infrastructure. That is the attitude that will result in improvements to infrastructure rather than treating predictable outcomes as 'accidents'.

In this case, the city allows contractors to get away with putting bins in cycling lanes, otherwise it would not have occurred.
Again, even if bike lanes are clear 100% of the time, the root cause was a construction truck that was in a hurry and had poor sight lines. Unless we’re going to turn in Tokyo and have crosswalks physically above the intersection, you’ve just shifted the problem down a few hundred meters.

Park that UPS truck across train tracks and cause a deadly incident and they’ll be criminal charges.. Why are bike lanes different?

Of course the best way to prevent bike lane blockers is to make them physically difficult to block. And that's why bikes lanes should never rely solely on painted lines, nor low curbs like pictured below.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-23-at-11.01.41-AM-300x300.jpg
20230529-bike-lanes-toronto-2.jpg

Instead, higher, precast bicycle dividers, like from https://www.sandersonconcrete.ca/high-profile-bike-lane-dividers should be the norm, not the exception. If every sidewalk must have a raised curb, why not bike lanes?
Are you comparing a train that has hundreds of people and weighs thousands of tons To a bicycle? I think that’s an incredibly extreme hyperbole

News Release

July 29, 2024

City of Toronto parking fines to increase on August 1 to support safer roads and reduce congestion

On August 1, the City of Toronto will increase parking fines for 123 offences to help curb illegal parking, stopping and standing in designated areas. Increasing fines can help reduce congestion by discouraging drivers from parking and stopping their vehicles in high-traffic areas and encouraging people to consider other modes of transportation such as walking, cycling or public transit to promote a smoother flow of traffic.

Some examples of the increased and new fines include:

• parking without paying at a parking meter (increase from $30 to $50).

• parking a prohibited vehicle on a bicycle path (increase from $60 to $200).

• non-electric vehicles or electric vehicles parked and not actively charging in an electric vehicle charging stall will be issued a $75 fine.

Are you comparing a train that has hundreds of people and weighs thousands of tons To a bicycle?
Dead is dead. Since the rules for freight trains changed in the early 2000s, most trains have one (or at most two) person on them. Is that operator's life worth more than a cyclist?

How about we all just follow the rules. I don't park my car on the sidewalk or cycle down the DVP.

News Release

July 29, 2024

City of Toronto parking fines to increase on August 1 to support safer roads and reduce congestion

On August 1, the City of Toronto will increase parking fines for 123 offences to help curb illegal parking, stopping and standing in designated areas. Increasing fines can help reduce congestion by discouraging drivers from parking and stopping their vehicles in high-traffic areas and encouraging people to consider other modes of transportation such as walking, cycling or public transit to promote a smoother flow of traffic.

Some examples of the increased and new fines include:

• parking without paying at a parking meter (increase from $30 to $50).

• parking a prohibited vehicle on a bicycle path (increase from $60 to $200).

• non-electric vehicles or electric vehicles parked and not actively charging in an electric vehicle charging stall will be issued a $75 fine.
Increased fines are great but I think won't do much unless there's a greater enforcement. I wonder if a citizen led reporting systems would help. Don't need a bounty, just allow citizens to report the infractions. Quick google search says Ausin and NY tried to do this though I'm unsure if it worked. Will dig into it later

Reactions: DSC
Dead is dead. Since the rules for freight trains changed in the early 2000s, most trains have one (or at most two) person on them. Is that operator's life worth more than a cyclist?

How about we all just follow the rules. I don't park my car on the sidewalk or cycle down the DVP.
I was assuming you meant a passenger train, the point still stands a train takes MILES to stop.....

Speaking off, I have multiple times ran across bikes on the highway, just last week on the Gardiner most recently. I agree personal responsibility would help but any solution that relies on that will fail. Numerous people here have mentioned the decline and increase danger of commercial drivers. I feel like better enforcement would fix SEVERAL issues on the road!

Increased fines are great but I think won't do much unless there's a greater enforcement. I wonder if a citizen led reporting systems would help. Don't need a bounty, just allow citizens to report the infractions. Quick google search says Ausin and NY tried to do this though I'm unsure if it worked. Will dig into it later

In respect of construction bins in bike lanes, that is a matter for by-law enforcement rather than parking enforcement (I clarified this with the City).

I think the PEOs are pretty good though adding a couple more, and transferring a couple to focus on bike lanes would be worth considering.

Design wise, you will see more separation over time and and that includes those striped areas at the end of legal parking zones........they will generally become streetscaping.

Back