News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 617     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Which is exactly why the Cycling folk at the City need to ensure bike lanes and tracks get enhanced repair service. As far as I can tell, the road repair folk treat all parts of the road with equal importance but a pot-hole or a sunken utility cover that might 'annoy' a motorist could kill a cyclist.

UPDATE: I emailed Becky Katz at the City just after I posted the above and she responded very fast with this bit of good news! "They [cycling maintenance team] have a new bikeway patrol team who is still learning what issues to flag, so your email is very helpful.

I can't say enough good things about Becky.

I find her professional, genuine, committed to cycling and making it safer and more inclusive.

She's also warm and friendly and has a decent sense of humour!

1625866701772.png

The rest reads as an awkward attempt to stifle the Mx train storage proposal.
Metrolinx screws over Rail Deck Park, and so the city screws over their train storage plan in return. Meanwhile the average people of this city see absolutely no benefit from either decision. God I hate our politicians (yes technically, Metrolinx aren't politicians, but does anyone believe they make any independent decisions at all anymore?).

Concrete curbs are being installed on Thorncliffe Park Drive. To most of you, this might sound like just another bike lane improvement.

But for me, I cannot tell you how freaking excited I am, As a resident and student of Thorncliffe Park, it's been a journey to advocate for improvements for my neighbourhood. This has been a goal of mine ever since these bike lanes first went in. There was a need for safer travels especially for the youth in the community, I took on the task along with a few helpful friends from Cycle Toronto, to let the city and councillor know there was a need. I gathered support from my friends and community, and after a year. It happened, along with extra parking which was also asked by drivers for a long time. I think this is a really good outcome, but there will always be more that is needed to connect. The Overlea Bridge is still a key link to Flemingdon, and that's why our work isn't finished but this is a really really good start.
Thorncliffe.jpg

This has been a goal of mine ever since these bike lanes first went in. There was a need for safer travels especially for the youth in the community, I took on the task along with a few helpful friends from Cycle Toronto, to let the city and councillor know there was a need. I gathered support from my friends and community, and after a year. It happened, along with extra parking
This is wonderful. You have gone above and beyond most of us here. I am so glad that your advocacy has brought such improvements to your neighborhood and I really look forward to seeing you make improvements to our city going forward. Thank you so much!

Concrete curbs are being installed on Thorncliffe Park Drive. To most of you, this might sound like just another bike lane improvement.

But for me, I cannot tell you how freaking excited I am, As a resident and student of Thorncliffe Park, it's been a journey to advocate for improvements for my neighbourhood. This has been a goal of mine ever since these bike lanes first went in. There was a need for safer travels especially for the youth in the community, I took on the task along with a few helpful friends from Cycle Toronto, to let the city and councillor know there was a need. I gathered support from my friends and community, and after a year. It happened, along with extra parking which was also asked by drivers for a long time. I think this is a really good outcome, but there will always be more that is needed to connect. The Overlea Bridge is still a key link to Flemingdon, and that's why our work isn't finished but this is a really really good start.
View attachment 334112
Looks like the city looked at their inventory to see what is the "cheapest" solution.

If a cyclist hits it, there will be spillage.

What they should have have done, but of course the current city will never do, is look for a gentle curved sloping curb.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.48.41-AM-1200x809.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.48.35-AM-1200x809.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.49.04-AM-1200x809.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.53.00-AM-1200x845.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.53.23-AM-1200x954.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-11.20.15-AM-1200x723.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-11.19.58-AM-1200x723.jpg

From link.

Looks like the city looked at their inventory to see what is the "cheapest" solution.

If a cyclist hits it, there will be spillage.

What they should have have done, but of course the current city will never do, is look for a gentle curved sloping curb.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.48.41-AM-1200x809.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.48.35-AM-1200x809.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.49.04-AM-1200x809.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.53.00-AM-1200x845.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-9.53.23-AM-1200x954.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-11.20.15-AM-1200x723.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-11.19.58-AM-1200x723.jpg

From link.

Yes, let's make the curbs easier to drive over. I'm sure truck drivers will be happy. :)

This intersection is getting worse. If you try to wait your turn in your car to turn right onto River you're bound to have another car come up your right side and clip you.
Still bad. Even the municipal drivers don’t know how to use this intersection, see my photos below taken yesterday from passenger seat. Any car trying to legally turn right from the centre lane is going to get t-boned by cars in the bike lane.

DE22C97A-8722-4674-8F6F-073D9C4D84B5.jpeg

ED3E648B-C1F2-48CE-AAE6-C18F4534F2AB.jpeg

You need and should report this to Becky Katz, becky.katz@toronto.ca. But also let KWT - the local city councillor know. Thank you very much.

I did. No help so far.

Easy and obvious solution too. extend the bike protection much closer to the intersection so cars stay in the centre lane. Paint the street in front of the streetcar stop so it's clear that's a shared space for passengers and cyclists. The city needs to stop treating bike lanes like they're just fancy right-hand turn lanes.

Easy and obvious solution too. extend the bike protection much closer to the intersection so cars stay in the centre lane. Paint the street in front of the streetcar stop so it's clear that's a shared space for passengers and cyclists. The city needs to stop treating bike lanes like they're just fancy right-hand turn lanes.
The reason they haven’t in this case is that this is a temporary bike lane and as such the TTC bus must be able to reach the curb for pickup. The city told me that if the Dundas lanes become permanent that a bump out and barriers would be installed.

Still bad. Even the municipal drivers don’t know how to use this intersection, see my photos below taken yesterday from passenger seat. Any car trying to legally turn right from the centre lane is going to get t-boned by cars in the bike lane.

View attachment 335467
View attachment 335468

I did. No help so far.

While the new bike lanes on Dundas west of Broadview fill a crucial gap, the street is really poorly laid out for everyone, because of the streetcar tracks. Ideally, two through driving lanes, left turn lanes, and separated bike lanes would improve flow and reduce confusion, and that is the common layout for newer bike routes on formerly four-lane streets.

Unfortunately, the once-in-100 years opportunity to widen Dundas’ ROW through Regent Park to allow for proper bike lanes and a better road configuration — along with TTC track work to allow a left turn lane without obstructing streetcars – has been lost when the redevelopment happened without the wider ROW.

While the new bike lanes on Dundas west of Broadview fill a crucial gap, the street is really poorly laid out for everyone, because of the streetcar tracks. Ideally, two through driving lanes, left turn lanes, and separated bike lanes would improve flow and reduce confusion, and that is the common layout for newer bike routes on formerly four-lane streets.

Unfortunately, the once-in-100 years opportunity to widen Dundas’ ROW through Regent Park to allow for proper bike lanes and a better road configuration — along with TTC track work to allow a left turn lane without obstructing streetcars – has been lost when the redevelopment happened without the wider ROW.
If they will be extending the 505 Dundas streetcar EAST of Broadview, they could build eastbound tracks on the south side of Dundas to continue through Broadview. They could create a bicycle path on the grass, just south of the trees. They can continue using the left lane for streetcar left turns and right turns, IF they give the streetcars TRUE transit priority to do so.

1626558113172.png

From link.

If they will be extending the 505 Dundas streetcar EAST of Broadview, they could build eastbound tracks on the south side of Dundas to continue through Broadview. They could create a bicycle path on the grass, just south of the trees. They can continue using the left lane for streetcar left turns and right turns, IF they give the streetcars TRUE transit priority to do so.

View attachment 335618
From link.
There really has been NO serious talk about extending the 505 further east so it's REALLY a bit early to start planning streetscape. The have lots of unrealised but detailed plans, e.g. QQE. - best they finish them first.

Back