News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 653     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

September 2015 update:

Looking northwest toward Richmond and Victoria.
20828188223_f7695f23d2_c.jpg

The line painting has brought to my attention the ridiculous bus stop spacing for downtown "express" services here: there's a far side stop at Church, a nearside stop at Victoria and a farside stop at Yonge. That's 3 stops in 300 metres!

Last edited:
The TTC's stop rationalization drives me batty.
It's like they assume people can't walk.

The Express buses are quite funny in this regard.. In my neck of the woods there's a stop at Marine Parade / Lake Shore and Palace Pier / Lake Shore. This is about 40m away. The worst part is people actually wait at both stops!!

Update: The westbound Richmond cycle track now has bollards and some green paint at key points (ie the Richmond/Jarvis intersection).

The eastbound Adelaide cycle track lane painting started overnight and now stretches from Victoria St to Berkeley.

I took the Richmond from Parliament west today. It really is a beautiful lane. A few bits are missing bollards towards the east side of the new construction, but the west span is beautiful. They've added signs indicating explicitly that turning cars should yield to bikes. A nice touch.

Reactions: PL1
It's like they assume people can't walk.

The Express buses are quite funny in this regard.. In my neck of the woods there's a stop at Marine Parade / Lake Shore and Palace Pier / Lake Shore. This is about 40m away. The worst part is people actually wait at both stops!!
if the stops are there why is is surprising that people use them. Sure 40m is not far but why would anyone walk from one stop to the other just because they are close together? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Richmond lane has more green markings. I saw 5 other cyclists in it at one point this morning, a new high. There is a traffic counter installed on Richmond just west of Sherbourne.

The Adelaide lane has more white marking today, and fewer cars driving in it as a result.

I expect the more complete the lanes become, the more they will be used properly.

if the stops are there why is is surprising that people use them. Sure 40m is not far but why would anyone walk from one stop to the other just because they are close together? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
I usually walk towards the bus as with these express routes, you have a better chance of getting a seat.

I took the Adelaide lane this morning and there were more bikes than cars making the turn from Bathurst onto Adelaide. In fact there was a bit of a traffic jam with construction blocking the start of the bike lane and some kind of giant truck manoeuvring into place as usual.

I took the Adelaide lane this morning and there were more bikes than cars making the turn from Bathurst onto Adelaide. In fact there was a bit of a traffic jam with construction blocking the start of the bike lane and some kind of giant truck maneuvering into place as usual.

Were there any bollards up, or bike traffic counters how far east did you go? I only see the Adelaide lane from east of Bay St

I took the Adelaide lane this morning and there were more bikes than cars making the turn from Bathurst onto Adelaide. In fact there was a bit of a traffic jam with construction blocking the start of the bike lane and some kind of giant truck manoeuvring into place as usual.
The transition at Bathurst Street is a bit of a mess on the best of days. With the "jog" in Adelaide street to the north, it seems almost every cyclist cuts through the sidewalk/grass to transition between the two. The infrastructure is so great going westbound on Richmond. I wonder if a contra-flow lane on Portugal Square might help here.

The transition at Bathurst Street is a bit of a mess on the best of days. With the "jog" in Adelaide street to the north, it seems almost every cyclist cuts through the sidewalk/grass to transition between the two. The infrastructure is so great going westbound on Richmond. I wonder if a contra-flow lane on Portugal Square might help here.
I've thought the same thing. In fact, I usually go left (illegally) on Portugal Square and then approach the Bathurst/Adelaide intersection from the north. That signal takes way too long to change, so this way I have the option of making a vehicular left turn onto Adelaide. Once the railpath extension starts funneling bike traffic down behind CAMH and along Adelaide, this intersection is going to become completely unmanageable.

I've thought the same thing. In fact, I usually go left (illegally) on Portugal Square and then approach the Bathurst/Adelaide intersection from the north. That signal takes way too long to change, so this way I have the option of making a vehicular left turn onto Adelaide. Once the railpath extension starts funneling bike traffic down behind CAMH and along Adelaide, this intersection is going to become completely unmanageable.

I was coming down Bathurst (having made a right from Richmond), so I lined up with the cars in the left turn lane, but most bikes were in the bike lane, partly into the intersection and set up in a kind of Copenhagen left/hook turn scenario.

Has there been an official route behind CAMH established for the Railpath extension? I can see how that would work but there'd need to be a connection around Sudbury/Dovercourt, right?

As for Portugal Sq, I guess you could cut through the church parking lot to end up at the crosswalk ...

Back