News   Apr 26, 2024
 184     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 255     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 448     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Some screen grabs from my dash cam of the Brimley bike lanes.

Impressions

I didn't like the lack of separation at intersections. Drivers turning right are forced to cut through the bike lanes. Same thing for buses when they pull over at stops. And when traffic stops to wait for someone tuning left at a local intersection, some drivers tried to sneak by on the right, crossing the unprotected lane in the vicinity of intersections. The St. Clair intersection is worst of all in this respect because left turning drivers force thru traffic to swerve right and across the lane.

Ideally, these lanes would use the grassy shoulders for full separation along the entire length.

Northbound

Note the lack of separation at the bus stop:

NB1.PNG

Driver forced to cut across to turn right. Not sure if the grassy shoulder here is wide enough to host the lane. Plus the bus stop, utility poles and sidewalk would need to be moved:

NB2.PNG

NB3.PNG

Old habits - a cyclist was using the sidewalk (to the right of the middle grey utility pole):

NB4.PNG

Southbound

SB1.PNG

TTC bus cutting across the lane to drop off passengers:

SB2.PNG
SB3.PNG

Drivers turning right forced to cut across the lane:

SB4.PNG
SB5.PNG
SB6.PNG
SB9.PNG

SB10.PNG

Two more:

SB7.PNG
SB8.PNG

Last edited:
" "kali, post: 1582339, member: 81254"]
Some screen grabs from my dash cam of the Brimley bike lanes.
sb7-png.261847

"

Cyclists must gather up speed going downhill to be able to get up the other side. No funds to make the cycle lane at the same level as the sidewalk, because they used it for the automobiles instead.

^There are much more serious problems with that bike lane than an incline which most reasonably fit cyclists can easily climb.

more like drivers who are forced to cross the bike lanes to make right turns and the buses forced to do the same to pick up passengers.

Does "bike lane" mean no physical separation from cars?

Since they have a separate category 'separated bike lane', I would say yes.

Separated means what it says, so bike lane w/o that term, I assume, means painted.

Though I haven't actually seen the designs.

Can we please embed twitter rather than images?

I get nipped at from everyone.

I've been asked to add images

I've been asked to add Twitter links to images

Now I'm being asked to take away images.

LOL, can't win.

Last edited:

Back