News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 803     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

^I can see it being very popular for people going from Kennedy to, say, York University.

For any begin/end point in the northwest of the city, it’s likely preferable to Line 2 as it will shorten the long bus ride north from Bloor.

For any begin/end point south of about St Clair, Line 2 will remain attractive, especially westbound where one has a chance of getting a seat on the subway at Kennedy.

For anyone currently taking the bus across Eglinton, it will be a better experience, but I’m not sold on those flexities as an experience that will pull people off the subway. Not really a superior ride over a long distance as a standee, even with the subway being as crowded as it gets. Totally subjective, I realise, and will depend on speed and load factor, and reliability.

- Paul
I don't think demand is very high for Scarborough to York U travels. Although it is probably faster and more comfortable to take it from STC > Kennedy > Cedarvale > York U than to take the 939B across the city. It would probably attract riders not because of the location but the reliability problems from Line 2's failing block signal system and the desire to get on the first train at Eglinton instead of Bloor-Yonge.

Low floor vehicles will always feel rougher but without those tight curves, I don't think it would be as bad as the streetcar routes. I always found those streetcars jerky.

Grew up in Scarborough. And my sister went to York university and I once had a job at Yorkdale. People take transit in all sorts of directs. Which is why a network is good. Which is why more people than we think likely will use this line. It’s hard to assume the future travel patterns and demands of people

Grew up in Scarborough. And my sister went to York university and I once had a job at Yorkdale. People take transit in all sorts of directs. Which is why a network is good. Which is why more people than we think likely will use this line. It’s hard to assume the future travel patterns and demands of people
North York Relief Line ?

I live in Scarborough and when the crosstown is built i will be using that to get into the downtown core. I'll go from kennedy station to yonge n eglinton and then proceed south from there

I live in Scarborough and when the crosstown is built i will be using that to get into the downtown core. I'll go from kennedy station to yonge n eglinton and then proceed south from there
Why don't you just take the GO from Kennedy, now that it only costs $3.70 and is a lot faster.

Why don't you just take the GO from Kennedy, now that it only costs $3.70 and is a lot faster.
For most Scarberians they first have to get to Kennedy which is already $3.10 if using Presto so a TTC plus GO journey one way is $6.80. As well the Soufville Line doesn't run all day and only runs at 30 Minute intervals. To incentivise GO use not just in Scarborough but Toronto in general will require higher frequency (i.e. the RER targeted 10-15 Minutes) and either free transfer from TTC or discounted transfer.

For most Scarberians they first have to get to Kennedy which is already $3.10 if using Presto so a TTC plus GO journey one way is $6.80. As well the Soufville Line doesn't run all day and only runs at 30 Minute intervals. To incentivise GO use not just in Scarborough but Toronto in general will require higher frequency (i.e. the RER targeted 10-15 Minutes) and either free transfer from TTC or discounted transfer.
Actually, if you take GO, your TTC fare is $1.60.

Last edited:
Actually, if you take GO, your TTC fare is $1.60.
My mistake. However the poor frequency and lack of all day service is still a major hurtle to getting people to adopt GO as viable transit alternative. You won't see people flocking to GO until that is fixed. For example I useally have to wait 20-30 minutes for the 54 to arrive, so I am not going to wait another 20-30 minutes for a GO Train to arrive as well; and this is pretty much the same sentiment as other people have. As well there is no gurentee you will make you connection due to nature of bus travel. Passengers will be much more open to waiting only say 10 minutes if they missed there train, then having to wait half an hour which by that time you could probably be at Yonge-Bloor on the Subway. Of course there is also the aforementioned lack of all day, 2-Way service as well.

Last edited:
A long and relatively fast line, located as centrally as Eglinton, will not suffer from shortage of riders who want to take it. Lots of people will find it useful for all or part of their trips.

But, with TTC having decided to life-extend the T1's rather than buy new stock, there won't be any ATC compatible trains to run on Line 2 for a couple decades, or more....

- Paul

The T1s are great subway cars imo and they will probably have no problems lasting into another decade. ATC is the only problem however to this all..

The problem is that the Crosstown is north of where people want to go. If people want to go downtown they are not going across Eglinton and then south as doing so would add about 15 minutes to their commute. It is much faster and easier to take Line 2 when heading downtown.

Crosstown is only good for heading to Yonge if you are headed close to Yonge and Eglinton i.e. Yonge and Lawrence or Summerhill. It is out of the way if you are going Downtown.

Never been to the Ontario Science Centre, I guess. Hopefully, they will do something about that asphalt desert barrier between the Science Centre Station and the Ontario Science Centre itself.

There will be people who prefer to be above vs under Ground for their ride as well. I might take a above ground ride if it increases my commute by five minutes but I get to see the sun and use my phone.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion. Until the Ontario line opens in 2027, ill continue to use line 2 to get to downtown. Then switch to line 5 and the Ontario Line because there could be delays in line 2 when they swich to ATC, I get to use wifi in the surface section and the Ontario line might be faster and closer to my destination in downtown

Back