News   May 06, 2024
 492     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 679     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Good that they used subtitles (unlike the TYSSE stations) but Mt. Dennis station isn't even actually on Weston Rd.
But it's nearby. Weston is a short walking distance from the Mount Dennis main entrance.

1608146317283.png

Good that they used subtitles (unlike the TYSSE stations) but Mt. Dennis station isn't even actually on Weston Rd.
Just like how Pioneer Village station is a few hundred metres from the Pioneer Village, Caledonia station being a few blocks west of Caledonia Road, Greenwood station being a block from Greenwood Avenue, and Kennedy station being a few hundred metres from Kennedy Road.

Just like how Pioneer Village station is a few hundred metres from the Pioneer Village, Caledonia station being a few blocks west of Caledonia Road, Greenwood station being a block from Greenwood Avenue, and Kennedy station being a few hundred metres from Kennedy Road.

Not just train stations but airports too. Toronto Pearson is in Mississauga.

meh, the WTC station is one of the busiest in NYC and presumably one of the busiest on the continent.
First time I used it, it was quite stunning, having started in New Jersey, given how dilapidated the stations there are (or at least were ... the new Harrison station was taking shape last time I went past it pre-covid - must be near finished by now). It was like travelling through time!

It's a surprisingly busy station - arriving there off-peak! Subway station, or NYC terminus for a commuter railway - hard to tell. I wonder if there are plans to increase service ... they could be running a Newark airport shuttle directly to there if they could find the track capacity. Though I guess many just change at Newark now.

Last edited:

Sorry, I thought Mount Dennis was quite a bit further from Weston Road. But then why not just call it Weston? There's no other station with that name.

Just like how Pioneer Village station is a few hundred metres from the Pioneer Village

Which is one of the reason it should not have even been named that in the first place.

Kennedy station being a few hundred metres from Kennedy Road.

Different situation as Kennedy is a suburban station with large parking lots, etc, so a location farther from the street is more expected.

Sorry, I thought Mount Dennis was quite a bit further from Weston Road. But then why not just call it Weston? There's no other station with that name.

Which is one of the reason it should not have even been named that in the first place.

Different situation as Kennedy is a suburban station with large parking lots, etc, so a location farther from the street is more expected.
There literally is another station called Weston, served by UP and GO...

Metrolinx wants to unify station names between GO and TTC (at least the GO stations within the city of Toronto), and since Weston GO already exists, they decided to call the crosstown station Mt. Dennis.

There literally is another station called Weston, served by UP and GO...
To be fair, the station at Mt. Pleasant will still be called Mt. Pleasant despite Mt. Pleasant GO existing, and Eglinton-Yonge will just be called Eglinton Station despite Eglinton GO also existing, (also York U GO/TTC Station can also be counted, but since Metrolinx wants to remove the GO station, that choice makes some sense). The idea of making TTC stations unique from GO stations isn't exactly the most obvious detail that's being pushed, and Metrolinx is kind of doing a bad job with name unification.

Eglinton West Station Bus Loop Re-opening - December 20, 2020

From link.

bus_loop_reopening_-_dec_20.png

What Work is Taking Place?
On Sunday December 20, 2020, the Eglinton West Station bus loop will re-open. TTC bus service will resume inside the Eglinton West Station bus loop.
The two temporary covered bus platforms on the north and south sides of Eglinton Avenue West are expected to be removed in early 2021; however the platforms will no longer be in service as of Sunday, December 20, 2020. Please review the complete notice or visit www.ttc.ca for more information.

What to Expect
TTC bus service will resume inside Eglinton West Station. Overnight noise can be expected when the bus loop re-opens and traffic changes are being implemented. Extended construction hours for TTC underpinning works and pedestrian tunnel construction are currently underway and will continue. Expect delays when travelling through the intersection.

HOURS OF WORK
  • On Sunday December 20, 2020 the Eglinton West Station bus loop will re-open
  • Overnight work may be required when the bus loop re-opens and traffic changes are being implemented
  • Extended construction hours are currently underway for TTC underpinning works and pedestrian tunnel construction
  • Work may be delayed due to inclement weather and/or unforeseen circumstances

TRAFFIC DETAILS
  • Traffic on Eglinton Avenue West will remain one lane in each direction during off-peak hours between Atlas Avenue and Park Hill Road
  • Public vehicles are permitted to access both curb lanes during peak hours, providing two lanes of traffic in each direction
  • Once the temporary bus platforms are removed, traffic on Eglinton Avenue West will return to two lanes in each direction between Atlas Avenue and Park Hill Road, with the exception of the dedicated eastbound lane for TTC buses
  • The advance eastbound left turn for buses travelling into Eglinton West Station will be reinstated

PEDESTRIAN DETAILS
  • No changes to the existing pedestrian access route to Eglinton West Station
  • Pedestrians will enter Eglinton West Station for access to TTC bus service
  • Crossing guards will be stationed at the bus loop entrance Monday–Saturday, 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Sunday, 7:30 a.m.to 8:00 p.m., during the first weeks of the bus loop re-opening

TRANSIT INFORMATION

Temporary Bus Platforms:
The two temporary covered bus platforms installed on Eglinton Avenue West, west of Eglinton West Station, are expected to remain in place through early 2021, however the temporary bus platforms will no longer be in service as of Sunday, December 20, 2020.

Wheel-Trans Bus: Wheel-Trans service will return to Eglinton West Station

63A Ossington Bus Route: Regular service returns to Eglinton West Station. The temporary 163 Oakwood bus route will be discontinued.

109 Ranee Bus Route: Regular routing returns to Eglinton West Station.

32 Eglinton Bus Routes: All buses will return to regular routing. The 32D Eglinton bus will terminate at Eglinton West Station.

Eglinton Station: The 51 Leslie and 56 Leaside buses will return to regular routing, using Duplex Avenue to access the bus terminal at Eglinton Station.

Signage is in place to direct TTC riders. TTC ambassadors will be on-site to help transit riders navigate the area during the first weeks of reopening.

For more information on changes to TTC service during the closure, please visit www.ttc.ca.

Metrolinx wants to unify station names between GO and TTC (at least the GO stations within the city of Toronto), and since Weston GO already exists, they decided to call the crosstown station Mt. Dennis.

To be fair, the station at Mt. Pleasant will still be called Mt. Pleasant despite Mt. Pleasant GO existing, and Eglinton-Yonge will just be called Eglinton Station despite Eglinton GO also existing, (also York U GO/TTC Station can also be counted, but since Metrolinx wants to remove the GO station, that choice makes some sense). The idea of making TTC stations unique from GO stations isn't exactly the most obvious detail that's being pushed, and Metrolinx is kind of doing a bad job with name unification.

I think there will be some changes in various (GO) station names around the opening of the Crosstown, that's usually when most things get shifted around.

Had my last 2020 look at the east end and will not be looking at it again until March or April 2021 at this time. It was a poor day to do it, and never got out of the car to do some photographing I wanted to do. It been about 7 weeks since I had my last look and haven't miss much.

Photos for the Kennedy station will be in the Kennedy thread when I get to them.

Eglinton road is slowly moving back to where it was before construction started. Drove through the new Don Mills intersection and it shows how much land was used to built the underground work. A good chunk of Eglinton at Kennedy is back in place with part of the overpass still been close since this is a staging area for the rebar that is still needed in the area.

Some more overhead has been installed west of Don Mills and still been worked on. Same applies east of Birchmount with a number of rolls of wire at Kennedy portal.

Of the stations that are built or being built, only 2 have the safety railing on them and no ramp to the platform for any of them from what I saw. Only drove westbound and could miss something on the south side.

Still a lot of rail to be install and not sure why rail that was anchor down is not anymore and sitting on supports. Crews were placing the rubber on the rails like TTC does and placing some rail into place. A good chunk of eastbound track is in place at the Leaside portal, but no westbound. A number of locations had trap over the rails as though concrete been pour there.

With luck and good weather, all the rail should be in place come my 2021 visit as well the overhead. Same goes for the stations.

All the LRT signals at intersection are now cover up.

By the summertime, all the surface tracks will be ready for testing and that only can happen once all the underground stations can allow the cars to travel through them under their own power. Maybe we will see the grass track area then as well.

Not a fan of how they built the rail support and sure hope that not the plan for Hurontario LRT line. Then Hurontario rails will be incase in concrete, not exposed like Eglinton.

I can totally see Metrolinx elevating the line over Leslie Street in the next 4-7 years to provide more reliable service to Science Centre, and to the Ontario Line connection. It's relatively simple, because it would be a short 300m bridge structure, then the rest would be a separated guideway to Don Mills similar to the one built at Black Creek. It would be a relatively simple and effective solution to providing reliable service. The stop at Leslie (Sunnybrook Park) should be removed to be as cost-effective as possible..
1609460319907.png

But elevating the entire line in Scarborough, It might be a while (2040), or might not even happen at all. It's simply more time, money and construction. But it should happen... eventually.

Back