News   Apr 26, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 508     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It would actually be quite useful if there was one map for GO and TTC.
It's the norm in many world cities to doing so. Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Brussels, etc, etc. They also break apart the systems onto separate maps too with just the stations indicated for the other systems' lines, rather than overwhelm visitors from, say, Toronto who couldn't handle such detail.

This is becoming less true with every passing year. UPX and Lakeshore both run every ~15 minutes and multiple other lines will follow, with frequencies rivalling the subway where lines converge. Fares will be integrated in some form. GO is going to continue becoming more relevant to the city of Toronto in the future, and will probably be almost as relevant as the subway itself. Definitely more so than the streetcar network.
I think by the time the go network is examined and fare integration happens paper maps will have gone the way of the dodo and people will be using phone apps to navigate public transit. I already do if I'm going somewhere haven't been before, pulling oiut a maop is waste of time when you can just pull out your phone and check an app l;ike city maopper whioch is avalable in many cities world wide and changes when you open it in another city., for example when I opened it in Wollongong Austalia it asked me if I wanted it for Sydney transportation.

I think by the time the go network is examined and fare integration happens paper maps will have gone the way of the dodo and people will be using phone apps to navigate public transit.
You're welcome to think what you want...no comment there...but how about road signs, and door numbers, and printed money? How about books, and written agreements, and libraries. All gone too?

I think when we live on the Moon, we can have aliens over for dinner. They'll just use their cell phones and apps to find us.

You're welcome to think what you want...no comment there...but how about road signs, and door numbers, and printed money? How about books, and written agreements, and libraries. All gone too?

I think when we live on the Moon, we can have aliens over for dinner. They'll just use their cell phones and apps to find us.
Some of those will still be needed printed money is being used less and less now as more people3 use debit and credit cards and apps like apple pay , goolgle pay and samsung pay. There are even some bunesnes now not acepting cash, most hotels won't accept it at all anymore. As for books and writing assignments I can't give you answer but as I said who needs a printed map when they can take their phone oput of ther pocket and get detailed instrutions on wher to go instred of looking at amap and trying to figure out everything.

I think by the time the go network is examined and fare integration happens paper maps will have gone the way of the dodo and people will be using phone apps to navigate public transit. I already do if I'm going somewhere haven't been before, pulling oiut a maop is waste of time when you can just pull out your phone and check an app l;ike city maopper whioch is avalable in many cities world wide and changes when you open it in another city., for example when I opened it in Wollongong Austalia it asked me if I wanted it for Sydney transportation.

You must have much better data roaming charges than I. I wouldn't pull out a paper map, but I do expect a physical map to be posted in places like transit stations when travelling.

You must have much better data roaming charges than I. I wouldn't pull out a paper map, but I do expect a physical map to be posted in places like transit stations when travelling.
I use Wi-Fi to access it and most of the mapping services function offline once you put in your destination, so you don't need to use data. All TTC subway stations have a map in them that shows all of the TTC and go routes inside of the city of Toronto if someone actually needs to use it for some reason. I think it depends upon which generation you are a part of now are you the one that uses technology for everything or are you still doing it the way you have always done it and don't see the need to change. Another example is for example with my family when we did road trips we used to go to CAA and get a triptix then it switched to using Google maps or MapQuest and now it's using the GPS either on the window of the car or built into the car for directions.

Last edited:
In fact, some cities like London UK, with massive intricate systems, publish both discrete and complete maps. I was just studying one last night and thought to download it for this discussion:

https://londonmap360.com/london-train-map

If London can do it with a system approx ten times the size of Toronto's, then why can't Toronto? Eh?
Good point, and I don't mean to suggest that having a comprehensive map that includes regional rail means that you can't have a subway only map. More that if a city has the latter it should absolutely have the former as well. London gets that, Toronto doesn't.

Not sure if there would be that much space on a map
We could put every subway, LRT, commuter, and BRT line in the entire GTA, existing and proposed, and it would still be less complex than maps for cities like London.

The ubiquity of smartphones doesn't negate the need for a comprehensive, easy to navigate official rapid transit map posted in trains and stations. The official map can be in app form as well.

GO service relevant to the city isn't some far off thing. UPX has 15 minute service today. Lakeshore has 15 minute service today. Other lines already have (almost) all day service. They should be on the maps.

Interesting that you mention Citymapper. It's a great app, and for Toronto the map shows the subway and GO lines but no streetcar lines (at least in the default view). It also gives you the option to see the official rapid transit map. So again, apps don't negate the need for that.

Last edited:
who needs a printed map when they can take their phone oput of ther pocket and get detailed instrutions on wher to go instred of looking at amap and trying to figure out everything.
Ya know, those aliens we can have over for dinner when we live on the Moon won't have to go far to truly fug us up and conquer us. Just block the phones of the zombies who need it for everything they do.

Not to mention that a map isn't displayed large enough on a full desktop screen, let alone on something you keep in your pocket. But hey, enjoy the countryside looking through slits...

And I don't have a smartphone, don't want one, don't need one, and the zombies who walk around with it telling them what to do truly annoys me.

You'd recommend using a calculator to multiply 2 X 2. Post a freakin' paper map fer Crisakes. What's wrong with you? It's done around the world, in places with a hell of a lot greater cell phone penetration than here. And a hell of a lot cheaper too...

Imagine that! Not having to look like a fool having to use your 'pocket companion' to prove how virile you are. Mind you, reading, let alone reading maps, is becoming a lost art.

And who needs art? There's an app for that...

Ya know, those aliens we can have over for dinner when we live on the Moon won't have to go far to truly fug us up and conquer us. Just block the phones of the zombies who need it for everything they do.

Not to mention that a map isn't displayed large enough on a full desktop screen, let alone on something you keep in your pocket. But hey, enjoy the countryside looking through slits...

And I don't have a smartphone, don't want one, don't need one, and the zombies who walk around with it telling them what to do truly annoys me.

You'd recommend using a calculator to multiply 2 X 2. Post a freakin' paper map fer Crisakes. What's wrong with you? It's done around the world, in places with a hell of a lot greater cell phone penetration than here. And a hell of a lot cheaper too...

Imagine that! Not having to look like a fool having to use your 'pocket companion' to prove how virile you are. Mind you, reading, let alone reading maps, is becoming a lost art.

And who needs art? There's an app for that...
Most of your argument makes no sense at all comparing art to getting around on public transportation. Most people people don't use maps any more just because you want to use one doesn't mean they will print them forever. Just like how phone and credit cards and banks are charging for paper bilis to be sent to you instead of getting it as an email.

Numerous options for offline mapping, the easiest being Google Maps app: Hamburger menu (top left), Offline Maps. From here you select the area you are interested in; I typically grab about 100km around the hotel. It's also helpful for those times you're in a location without a signal.

I also keep OSM+ offline maps updated (Open Streetmap based) as it often has more detail for foot tracks than Google.

That said, as far as developed countries go, only Canadians worry about data roaming fees for minor uses like pulling up directions. They're paying closer to $10 for 200MB of international data which is sufficient for a months worth of mapping activities.

Last edited:
Numerous options for offline mapping, the easiest being Google Maps app: Hamburger menu (top left), Offline Maps. From here you select the area you are interested in; I typically grab about 100km around the hotel. It's also helpful for those times you're in a location without a signal.

I also keep OSM+ offline maps updated (Open Streetmap based) as it often has more detail for foot tracks than Google.

That said, as far as developed countries go, only Canadians worry about data roaming fees for minor uses like pulling up directions. They're paying closer to $10 for 200MB of international data which is sufficient for a months worth of mapping activities.

I preload maps for directions and walking around but that usually doesn't include transit data like buses and such, at least the last time I did it. Anyway, regardless you'd think metrolinx would at least have a PDF of a regional transit maps

The complaint here is that the government agency we pay tax dollars can't provide a regional transit map in either paper or electronic form. It's useful for all sorts of reasons.

For the current situations. How about a track diagram of the Crosstown LRT, showing the completed track. Along with a diagram of the overhead catenary wiring completed and energized. I would like see the completion as it grows and nears ready for use.

What in the hell happening here that a full closure is require for 2 months??? Building tracks across an intersection can be done one weekend with no turning allow.

Invitation: Leslie Intersection Town Hall Meeting
Join us at a community meeting to learn about upcoming construction works that require a two month closure of Leslie Street at Eglinton Avenue East in July & August 2019.

Closure details including TTC impacts, pedestrian access and construction schedule will be presented, followed by a Q&A period.

Date: April 4, 2019
Time: 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Venue: Japanese-Canadian Cultural Centre, 6 Garamond Ct.

Parking available

TTC access: 34C EB, 34A WB, 100 NB, 25 SB.

All the argument against putting GO lines on the same map ignore one point: we are not asking for a map with all different transit systems. We want a RAIL transit map in the GTA. Period.

All the argument against putting GO lines on the same map ignore one point: we are not asking for a map with all different transit systems. We want a RAIL transit map in the GTA. Period.

That would include GO Trains, UPX, the Pearson Terminal Link, subways, SRT, LRT's, and streetcars.

Back