News   Mar 28, 2024
 496     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 805     0 

Crescent Town

archanfel

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am wondering what do people think about the Crescent Town neighbourhood. The location is right on the subway line with large parks around. House prices seem to be reasonable.

I lived in the area for 5 1/2 years and never felt unsafe. I admit, you do hear of the of the odd incident now and then in the VP/Danforth, Main/Danforth, Dawes/Danforth area but it is a very convenient location. I lived specifically in the VP/Danforth area and loved the proximity to the subway and the Shoppers World plaza which has a Metro (with a Tims inside), Shoppers, M&Ms, Staples, Dollarama, Zellers, the Source, Pet Valu, Subway, Burger King etc. You are a nice walk down to the beach. A short drive or TTC trip to the big box stores at Warden/Eglinton. Also, I made use of the Go station (Main/Danforth) a few times when the TTC was on strike.

As you mentioned the house are prices are reasonable compared to the rest of the city. You can still find homes under 300K.

interesting points. I used to live at VicPark/Eglinton back in the early 90's and depending on my mood I'd often take the bus down to Vic Park Station to catch the subway downtown. I guess my opinion is more informed by stereotyping and news reports rather than actually spending too much time in the area. Also I was thinking more specifically of the Crescent Town and Teesdale Place highrises...

How bad are the crimes? Like Scarborough bad, or Jane and Finch bad?

When I lived in the area in the early 2000's the worst thing I remember happening was a shooting at a west indian restaurant on Danforth just east of VP on Caribana weekend. The shooter was not even Canadian from what I remember. Aside from that, the other major incidents I remember are a stabbing that happened just outside of VP station (several years ago) and a shooting outside of VP station. I don't believe you can count violence at a subway station as being characteristic of the neighbourhood surrounding it. The perpetrators could be from anywhere in the city. I think the police are most commonly called to the area for domestic disputes.

Redroom, your experiences from the early 90's might be different from mine.

Decent area

I lived in one of condos at Crescent Town for 8 years. It is a decent neighbourhood. The buildings were completed circa 1972, and in the early 1990s some buildings had some work done (garages, siding, etc). I've noticed the condo fees are higher than average, and that's largely due to high operating and maintenance costs (the units use baseboard electric heaters), and the condos also have to maintain a recreation centre with a swimming pool, plus they have 24hr security (actual security guards looking after several buildings).

I believe the vast majority of folks are good, honest Torontonians that work hard for a living. Although densely populated, I think it has a lower crime rate than other Toronto neighbourhoods, as you seldom read about major crime incidences. As another poster noted, Crescent Town is close to schools, shopping and public transit. Condo-wise, the main drawback is the high maintenance fees, but this is partially off-set by the lower condo prices.

In general, as with any neighbourhood, it depends on where you choose. (And these days, bedraggled-looking apartments might be seen as dubious propositions more on bedbug grounds than on crime grounds. Not that there isn't a latent symbiosis or anything.)

Two of my friends purchased condos in this neighbourhood for really excellent prices compared to a downtown condo. For example, a two bedroom with dining room and large living room cost $150000 in 2006. However, units here do not appreciate in value, so from a real estate point of view, these are affordable home investments only. In fact, one of these friends lost money once commissions and moving costs etc were taken into account. The complex borders of a ravine system park that is quite beautiful - and as mentioned, amenities are everywhere within walking distance. It is no St James - it's a decent place to live.

Thank you all for your comments. Yeah, I noticed the condo price there is relatively cheap too and the location is just so convenient. (except for highway unfortunately).The average income is fairly low, yet I haven't heard a lot of major crimes in the neighbourhood. The area east of there is kind of barren though. A friend of mine bought a Condo there too. Outdated layout, but looks nice enough with a great view of the lake. Yeah, the condo fee seems to be high, but not outrageously so. Unfortunately, the rent there is also fairly low, which means the CAP rate is not all that attractive.

thinking of buying a Crescent Town condo

Just curious to see if you purchased a condo in Crescent Town. I'm thinking of buying one and I just wanted your feedback.

Crescent Tpwn- BAD NEWS!!!!!!!

Just curious to see if you purchased a condo in Crescent Town. I'm thinking of buying one and I just wanted your feedback.

Sorry to inform you but Crescent Town including Massey Square is BED BUG and COCK ROACH CITY!!!
We are absolutely infested!!! The City of Toronto is well aware of these problems and Crescent Place is even noted on the Public Health Website as being really bad. The number of mattresses and couches that are thrown out every week is unbelievable!! People throw out everything when they move so as not to take the problem with them. The problem even extends to the elevators!! Don't say you haven't been warned!!!

I have been living in Massey Square apartment since last fourteen years and my kids are grown up here. They started from Crescent town elementary and now both are in higher studies from UofT and Newyork university in dentistry and Engineering program.We have actively participated in our community and being new immigrant back in 2000 had all our struggles to grow here. Never ever had any bad experience. People are very cooperative and one of the best areas in Toronto where kids mind their business which is studying hard and be in their professions. You all gym, swimming pool and a beautiful club free when you become part of the community.You have doctors, medicine store, groceries and all day to day requirement at your doorstep or walking distance. Beautiful beaches area within walking distance if you love walking. 20 minutes to downtown. What more do I want? No complaint in growing up my kids here with values and becoming true citizen of the neighbourhood and country. As regards some incidents here and there, is not that what you expect when you live in a big city like Toronto. NO COMPLAINTS and highly recommend anyone looking for quality living to buy and rent property here.

I have lived in Crescent Town for a few years and what keeps me here is the low rent and the close proximity to the subway. I am able to save money. However, if you are not in a desperate situation, I WOULD NOT recommend living here. Rent has gone up for new tenants moving in and it is not worth it.

I am surprised that anyone would have no complaints about Crescent Town. Perhaps the Massey Square buildings are in better shape. Crescent Town apartments are cockroach and bedbug infected and have been for years. I live in number 9. The building itself is not well-kept and the infrastructure is crumbling. There has been major water damage throughout the building that has resulted in collapsed ceilings in some of the apartments. Although the common areas, such as the lobby, have been upgraded, you just have to take a walk throughout the whole building to see that it is in dire need of repairs. I was told that number 7 is even worse.

Carpets are not cleaned. As I write this, the carpet on my floor has ingrained dirt and grime that have been present since July, 2018. It is now November 21st, 2018. It is common for the carpets not to be cleaned for months. Once, there was even a used condom in the hallway. Management posted notices in September that the carpets will be replaced. However, this has yet to occur. Also, used diapers are even left on the floor in the garbage room on my floor. When you open the door, roaches are often seen running around the floor. Because of this, I just go downstairs to throw out my garbage.

Balconies are also a problem. Some tenants throw out their garbage, cigarettes and beer bottles from their balconies, and this ends up on other balconies. Building management has done nothing to address the problem.

Prostitution and drug activity occur in the buildings - and building management is aware of this. There have also been reports of theft and sexual assaults. I personally have awoken on two occasions to intruders on my balcony. In both incidences, they were drug related and the police were called. In fact, the police even came to my door because another person reported intruders on his/her balcony. When I asked the police about crime in the building, they stated that there have been reports and that arrests have been made. I have had men knocking at my door after midnight. When I went to the management office after one such incident, one of the ladies mentioned sexual assault in the building and was quickly shushed by the property manager. It was obvious that she did not want me to know about the assaults.

Back