News   Jul 30, 2024
 116     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 318     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Crazy subway idea to serve Harbourfront

I like the idea of expanding the Yonge line right down to the waterfront. With the plans to develop the entire waterfront over the next 20 - 30 years it would only make sense with all the new people residing in the East Bayfront Area and the Portlands, they could connect via the LRT and have a quick route north.

I think everything else should be left intact other than ensuring there are a couple good connections to the Harbourfront LRT.

The idea makes sense... until you realize that the Union subway station second platform project is already underway.

There is a problem with Queens Quay station crowding already... in summer months people load into the streetcar, crowd the whole thing, just to go one stop. People at Union station end up waiting for the second or third car before they can get on and then after Queens Quay station the car has plenty of space. In addition, as the number of people flowing through Union station increases a single station with a 6 car subway will eventually be unable to handle the 10 tracks of double-deck GO trains plus GO buses plus streetcars unloading into it.

The extended loop would give Union Station two subway stations which would likely be set up so both be accessed indoors. One would be accessed under the GO bus lot to Yonge, and one would be accessed under York. Streetcars would unload at a completely different station serving the harbourfront.

drum118 said:
Putting it underground under the bus terminal would see current TTC streetcar service remove from Queens Quay which would make a lot of NIMBY happy that live on this street.

How would it remove the streetcar from Queens Quay?

Irishmonk said:
I'm really curious which "camps" you're referring to.

Me too.

A Yonge Express line would do wonders for this city. Imagine a high speed subway beginning in Richmond Hill with stops at Highway 7, Shepherd, Eglinton, Bloor, Union Station and terminating under Harbour Square. ( .

Hypothetically thinking, would prefer GO service to improve Richmond Hill service. In addition, in my opinion, its best to have the express stops on the same platform as the local stops, so its easier to transfer between trains, instead of having to go down another level. I don't know if that is possible unless you make a lot of additional changes.

I would love to see subway service though for the harbourfront. But, is it possible to tunnel the reclaimed land? Or sometime of harbourfront/cityplace loop.

i don't see it necessary once the second platform at union is done, which will improve flow to the streetcar loop... and the imminent expansion of the streetcar loop at Union... not to mention the new LRVs will allow for better boarding, which would alleviate issues at Queens Quay... and finally, they will also reduce noise problems probably above ground.

who was smoking crack with this idea?

Won't there be less pressure on Queen's Quay streetcars to take people to Queen's Quay when south-of-Union PATH extensions open? How bout a big sign that says "WATERFRONT, THREE BLOCKS THIS WAY" or whatever.

The best investment that the 416 could possibly make is the downtown relief line...and the DRL should connect with the YUS at Union where Union is now.

It doesn't make any sense to lower the "loop" away from Union. But for kicks, I've put this and other options into picture form:

Status Quo (What we have now):
2123299560_464e361deb_o.jpg

The "Crazy" Option proposed in this [crazy] thread:
2123299594_b2f8ac9ddc_o.jpg

*ignore the fact that Spadina suddenly vanished

The LTR/Streetcar Option:
2123299640_d0204efd07_o.jpg

The DRL Option: (DRL subway is blue, apparently)
2123312384_69a8065ee2_o.jpg

The "Out of Control" Transit Orgy Option that No One Saw Coming:
2123299906_b2d382dd59_o.jpg

*Ignore several/all aspects of this one ;)

(edited to add: I am not an advocate of these options. Or am I?)

Your 'out of control' option is the one we need in the long term. If I was a megabillionaire, I'd pay for it myself...my very own Carnegie subway network.

I wonder where the orange line goes :p! The pink line looks practical considering the CBD and City Hall are important nodes worthy of their own stops, even if the YUS line's a few blocks over.

I've actually heard of the Queens Quay subway proposal somewhere before, expanding the existing streetcar tunnel then continuing west along Lakeshore/Queensway. In effect it'd split the YUS line into two new lines. The University-Spadina would then serve St Lawrence, Distillery, Cherry then up Pape/Don Mills. Very interesting.

I've actually heard of the Queens Quay subway proposal somewhere before, expanding the existing streetcar tunnel then continuing west along Lakeshore/Queensway. In effect it'd split the YUS line into two new lines. The University-Spadina would then serve St Lawrence, Distillery, Cherry then up Pape/Don Mills. Very interesting.

Do you mean something like this?

The West Harbour Yonge & East Harbour Spadina Crossover Option:
2123596310_5751102051_o.jpg

Your 'out of control' option is the one we need in the long term. If I was a megabillionaire, I'd pay for it myself...my very own Carnegie subway network.

You know, I've actually thought that if I ever became a multi-billionaire (now that's when pigs fly!), one of my "charitable" gestures would be to build a V-shaped S-bahn from Brampton to Agincourt as a "gift to the city of Toronto".

It would be a thinly veiled, billion dollar attack on the last 30 years of transit planning in the city of Toronto. I would of course attempt to reap as much profit off of my "charity" as possible with a development company, where I'd buy strategic plots of land before I made my transit announcement.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to warm up a cup of 29 cent instant noodles in my bachelor apartment.

Do you mean something like this?

The West Harbour Yonge & East Harbour Spadina Crossover Option:
2123596310_5751102051_o.jpg

A proper map with that idea has been posted on the site before. Can somebody post it again?

The first one is the first step for setting up the Term of
Reference/Problem Statement with Transit part of it.

The East Bay Transit EA is on hold as it has to tie in with the
Central EA which is just getting underway now. What to do with the
portal is a major issue as well Union Loop as it is failing the
current thinking by TTC. Most of the work is done on it.

The other thing been thrown into the East Bay EA is the GTTA bus
terminal idea and that can have an impact on the Central EA also.

I like the West 8 design, but there a strong opposition to it by local
residents and business on the Queens Quay. Money can resolve some of
the issues, but changing the car thinking is not going to be easy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Public Meeting for Queens Quay Environmental Assessment
Come be a part of revitalizing Queens Quay…

As part of the revitalization of Toronto's central waterfront,
Waterfront Toronto in partnership with the City of Toronto, is
undertaking an environmental assessment study of Queens Quay between
Lower Spadina Avenue and Lower Jarvis Street. This study is exploring
how to implement long standing City policy objectives including
revitalizing Queens Quay into a scenic waterfront drive and completing
the Martin Goodman Trail which today is absent through the central
waterfront.

The first public forum will introduce existing site conditions, the
problem statement, explore potential planning solutions and provide a
recommended planning solution which will be the basis of design
alternatives to be studied in more detail in the next phase of the
environmental assessment.

We are interested in hearing your views and want to keep you informed
about this project. Please join us for the first public forum.

Thursday, January 10, 2008
Open House 6:00pm Presentation 6:30pm
Westin Harbour Castle Hotel
One Harbour Square, Convention Level, Harbour B&C

If you are interested in receiving more information on the study,
please contact Andrea Kelemen at akelemen@... or
416-214-1344 extension 248.
Public Exhibition on the East Bayfront-West Precinct

Waterfront Toronto would like to invite you to a Public Exhibition on
the East Bayfront-West Precinct being held on January 14, 2008. The
East Bayfront is the area that is bound by Jarvis Street in the west;
Parliament Street in the east; Lake Shore Boulevard in the north and
the water's edge in the south. The implementation of the East
Bayfront vision is moving forward and a number of exciting projects
are already underway and we are pleased to advise that more will be in
the near future.

The purpose of the public meeting is to provide an update on the work
Waterfront Toronto is doing in the East Bayfront. We will be focusing on:

* Draft Plan for Phase I Development
* Sherbourne Park
* East Bayfront Public Realm Design including the Water's Edge
Promenade
* Jarvis Slip Open Space Design Competition
* Queens Quay Revitalization Environmental Assessment
* East Bayfront Transit Environmental Assessment
* First Waterfront Place

Members of the project team will be on hand to guide you through the
exhibits, answer questions and share ideas. The meeting details are
as follows:

Monday, January 14, 2008
6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Novotel Hotel, Alsace Room
45 The Esplanade – Toronto

For more information, please feel free to contact Andrea Kelemen at
akelemen@... or 416-214-1344 extension 248.

Back