News   Jul 17, 2024
 29     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 448     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 984     0 

Coyotes' reign of terrier

Too bad the coyotes don't go after bigger game, like robbers.

From The Star, at this link:

Lions invade wealthy Nairobi suburb

43295c4b464e91af2324155a47db.jpg

NAIROBI, KENYA—At the entrance of Mukoma housing estate, a leafy suburb 15 kilometres from the bustling city centre of Nairobi, a prominent neighbourhood watch sign has been warding off potential intruders.

For the past six months, not one robbery has been reported in this wealthy community. A chalkboard sign subtly hints at why. “To All Our Dear Residents: LION SEEN — Ndorobo Road.â€

The neighbourhood watch, it seems, has had some extra help.

Since last year, several full-grown adult lions have taken up residence in this pleasant neighbourhood, terrorizing residents and causing a peculiarly Kenyan case of suburban woes.

Mukoma residents say that two lionesses — one with newborn cubs — and a male lion are living in the thick bushy areas of the estate, helping themselves to residents’ dogs and cats and any wild warthogs that happen by.

The lions also recently killed two endangered baby Rothschild giraffes from Giraffe Manor, a famous Nairobi attraction where tourists come to see, and even “kiss†giraffes.

Although many of Mukoma’s residents are wildlife experts — from safari guides to carnivore biologists — they are split on whether to keep or kill their ferocious feline neighbours.

“When we moved here 30 years ago,†says resident Mike Norton-Griffiths, “there were lions, zebra, leopard and cheetah roaming freely. It was all bush.â€

Yet as Nairobi has crawled outwards, Mukoma has become a populated housing estate. It borders the western edge of Nairobi National Park, a large natural park less than 7 kilometres from the city centre and the only natural safari park in the world surrounded on three sides by urban sprawl. (It has electrified fences on those sides.)

The first lion sighting occurred last April, yet it wasn’t until early September that the 160 families of Mukoma realized they might have a problem on their hands.

A lioness with two five-month old cubs wandered onto one woman’s property and was immediately confronted by a perhaps slightly too daring family Rottweiler. The ensuing brawl left the Rottweiler traumatized and one lion cub stuck 12 metres up a tree.

Since then, residents have set up camera traps and the sightings have become more frequent, from gardens to golf courses. In February, Ohmar Fernandez saw a lioness wandering outside the famous Karen Blixen Museum early one evening, and Ole, a guard for Hog Ranch property, recalls running for his life when he accidentally shined his flashlight on a lion “just metres away.â€

Lion expert and Mukoma resident David Mascall says these lions live in proximity to people all the time, and “there is not one reported killing or attack from a lion here in 30 years.â€

Resident Stephanie Dloniak, a carnivore biologist, agrees, but argues this is an “unprecedented situation†that poses an immediate danger.

“No one has ever studied urban carnivores,†she says, and though they haven’t attacked a human, in this environment they are “unpredictable.â€

“As a carnivore biologist, it’s cool.†Dloniak says. “But as a homeowner with two kids, lions in my flower bed are a problem.†With more than 80 children under 7 years old in the neighbourhood, many agree.

Resident Christine Riley, who works with the Nairobi Animal Orphanage, feels the lions should be allowed to stay. “We love wildlife, that’s why we live here.â€

Aside from the extra security they provide, it’s an animal lover’s dream to have lions in your backyard.

The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) legally owns all wildlife in Kenya, but its assistance has been limited. Its resources are stretched and it is under pressured from both sides of the community, residents say.

James Kiparos, a community warden for KWS, says several traps have been set but the lions “seem to know the tricks.†If they’re caught, he says, the KWS will put the lions back into the park with tracng collars.

“A zebra in your garden is one thing, quite the cachet,†says Norton-Griffiths. “But a lion?â€

Bums are more likely to attack then coyotes.... let's find a relocation program for them.

I rather coyotes than the pesky racoons!

"Bums"? Good grief.
I came across coyotes three times this past winter, in a pack they are incredibly dangerous especially if they hunting for food. Chances are they were packs but I didn't see the rest of them. I've never seen coyotes before in the city, it might have been something about the winter we just had that brought them up from the ravines.

I live next to a ravine, but the rare coyotes I've seen seem to avoid humans as much as possible. Strangely enough, I've seen a few foxes enter people's yards to attack rodents.

I used to short-cut through Forest Hill, walking at night from Eglinton to Bloor after work. Aside from the usual Racoons, I saw Foxes trotting along the sidewalk, and even a few Possums.

I rather coyotes than the pesky racoons!

This just gave me a thought: maybe the coyotes will help solve the raccoon problem? Maybe the raccoons are what brought the coyotes here in the first place. It seems like having coyotes roaming the city isn't such a bad thing after all.

This just gave me a thought: maybe the coyotes will help solve the raccoon problem? Maybe the raccoons are what brought the coyotes here in the first place. It seems like having coyotes roaming the city isn't such a bad thing after all.
That's an interesting thought. I'd think part of our raccoon problem these days, is that in older days, dogs roaming around would probably see off many of the raccoons. Did we have these kind of raccoon problems decades ago?

Dogs and cats aren't on the racoon's diet, I think we're better with off with them causing mischief than coyotes.

I was chased by a Coyote in a High Park ravine once. Seen others around. A single coyote can be easily handled by a grown man. A pack of 4 or more and you'd have a seriously dangerous situation in your hands.

We should protect a healthy population of wild coyotes in our parks, but an urban coyote population should probably be kept in check.

I was chased by a Coyote in a High Park ravine once. Seen others around. A single coyote can be easily handled by a grown man. A pack of 4 or more and you'd have a seriously dangerous situation in your hands.

We should protect a healthy population of wild coyotes in our parks, but an urban coyote population should probably be kept in check.
How does one protect wild coyotes in our parks, without creating large walls around them to stop them crossing the street to the houses?

How does one protect wild coyotes in our parks, without creating large walls around them to stop them crossing the street to the houses?

I should specify that when I say our parks I'm referring strictly to naturalised areas like the bluffs, High Park, or the ravine system. And with 'a healthy population' I mean very low density populations.

If coyote populations are kept relatively low they won't leave their habitat too frequently (why risk it if resources are plentiful).

Coyotes in city parks and ravines are not going to be dining on you. They've already got a fine diet of squirrels, racoons, rodents and the occasional fluffy the cat to munch on. If you are bigger than a coyote, they won't be interested. As an adult human, you're too high risk. They are wary of you.

Some of the agents at the Monarch experience centre mentioned that they've seen coyotes in the early afternoon wandering around the sale offices. I used to let my dog loose around the parking lots, but not any longer.

I'm not afraid of them at all, but I've heard they're super quick to grab their prey by the neck.

Back