News   Oct 02, 2024
 412     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 379     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 444     0 

Councillor expensed chipmunk costume... and a Dalmatian and a bear, too.

Blovertis:
That's like saying the chair of the TTC should never drive or bike either

Not really. Not unless the city is recouping him for gas or a new bike.

That said, a few thousand bucks in cab fare isn't a big deal. What could be less acceptable is if the cab fares were $20. $30, $50+ trips around the city like, say, trips to a restaurant in North York or a party in Scarborough, or to the airport for a vacation flight. Presumably, though, most of the trips were from one random spot in the downtown core to another, the kind of trips that are often painful to take given the sad state of service on the streetcar lines. If that's the case, minimum fare rates would eat up most of the $3000 - and if the cabs were shared by city staff, it may have been cheaper than multiple TTC fares. It's not a significant cost for the city to bear if it means helping Giambrone get to meetings and events on time...he is one of the busier/more visible councillors, after all.

Toronto councillors receive an annual salary of approximately $97,000 per year. They get paid less than most councillors in the 905. Asking that elected representatives take a paycut is a classic right-wing tactic but it has seriously messed up results long-term, as it means only the independently wealthy can afford to serve the people.

Oh, please. Do you have any idea how many people in Toronto would not consider $90,000 a pay cut?

Why should councillors use their personal funds to pay for work-related transportation costs? Certainly in any private sector job you will be reimbursed for mileage, cab costs, etc.

Your'e right on that one.

I was just trying to sound like a beligerent red neck... for effect. lol. seriously!

If he gets a free metropass, and it's ok for him to take cabs to get to queen/john for his streetcar show , why are we also buying tokens for him? Who are they actually for?

That said, a few thousand bucks in cab fare isn't a big deal... Presumably, though, most of the trips were from one random spot in the downtown core to another, the kind of trips that are often painful to take given the sad state of service on the streetcar lines.

Are you even reading what you're writing? The streetcar lines are "sad" in part because of Giambrone's stewardship. If the Chair of the TTC is avoiding them, then what are the rest of us to think?

Are you even reading what you're writing? The streetcar lines are "sad" in part because of Giambrone's stewardship. If the Chair of the TTC is avoiding them, then what are the rest of us to think?

How can he get anything done if he's waiting half an hour for a streetcar? Duh.

This is just getting pathetic. Since when is this news? We have a 9billion dollar budget and people are worried about $3,000 worth of cab chits and a chipmunk suit? Seriously? We need to get our priorities straight people are trying to ruin the careers of good politicians who do a lot for this city by trying to tar and feather their reputation over pennies.

Also, stop it with the "my tax money BS". Do you know how much you're over-spending on daily things for no reason other than other people's greed? That doesn't seem to bother anyone. In fact, it's championed by many of you folk.

We need to get our priorities straight people are trying to ruin the careers of good politicians who do a lot for this city by trying to tar and feather their reputation over pennies

Did you sleep with Adam as well?
Who forced him out of the mayoral race?

Also, stop it with the "my tax money BS". Do you know how much you're over-spending on daily things for no reason other than other people's greed? That doesn't seem to bother anyone. In fact, it's championed by many of you folk.

If I was spending your money then you'd have a point.
The idea that you can tell me what to do with my money is ridiculous ...try again.

Are you done trolling?

I'm not telling you what to do with your money. You gave the government the okay to do what they want with your money when you willingly paid taxes to this city (you could have withheld them if you wanted, or moved). So whether you went out and bought some over-priced good and thought nothing of it, or paid your taxes (of which an unmeasurable amount went to a chipmunk suit), you ultimately made the choice.

Are you done trolling?

Are you?...Oh, no, there's another paragraph.

I'm not telling you what to do with your money.

You're judging others for what you perceive they're doing with their money...is that better?

you could have withheld them if you wanted,

that would be against the laws that you and I willingly follow.

you ultimately made the choice.

How pathetic.....Who's trolling here?

This is just getting pathetic. Since when is this news? We have a 9billion dollar budget and people are worried about $3,000 worth of cab chits and a chipmunk suit? Seriously? We need to get our priorities straight people are trying to ruin the careers of good politicians who do a lot for this city by trying to tar and feather their reputation over pennies.

You're right, cab rides and a chipmunk suit are small potatoes in the context of the overall budget. But they are symbolic of a larger rot that goes to how this city is being managed.

If I thought Giambrone was doing a good job, then maybe I wouldn't be so fussed about his small hypocrisies. But under his watch we've seen things like wildcat strikes, huge cost overruns on the St. Clair LRT and -- my personal pet peeve -- the $1 million that was spent on that box on Cumberland.

So when I'm told that he's too important to wait for a streetcar, I get a little upset.

Cabs are an important part of transportation in a major urban centre and no one wants them to go away. It's personal automobiles that are wastefu.

Actually having fleets of empty taxis cruising for fares along King or College streets at 3 AM is pretty wasteful and annoying. I feel like I should have an illuminated sign saying, "No, I'm not looking for a cab right now, so P*SS off!"

But I digress. Councillors expensing cab rides for work related tasks is perfectly acceptable and to argue otherwise is petty and demeaning. We don't elect our politicians to show us how to live on $5 a day.

Back