News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 837     0 

Corktown District (King & Sumach, Streetcar, to 6s, Quadrangle)

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
5 June 2010--massive photo update.:D

I like this corner building--looks good.

dsc08661v.jpg

dsc08658o.jpg

Doesn't look so great here:

dsc08652qw.jpg

This building on the side street is sorta blah.

dsc08657.jpg

And this one is the worst of the trio: very dull blank walls and the brick colour is gross.

dsc08645o.jpg

dsc08642n.jpg

Now I'm confused--I thought there was 3 phases to this development, yet is the building just starting across the street part of the same project? Here it is:

dsc08644x.jpg

dsc08636p.jpg

dsc08648g.jpg

^^ See the comment I made on your West Don Lands pics re: Corktown III. And, of course, the Corktown building you like least, I like best.

Last edited:
phase 1 actually consists of the 3 buildings in your pics......549 king east...569 king east and 52 sumach..... the demolished site on the north side of king is 510 king east and is considered ph2.....

if anyone is interested in sealing/finishing their floors with epoxy, please let me know......I plan on doing it sometime in the next 2 weeks.....please msg me if you have any information to share and i'll do the same...Thanks!

Looks like they are making progress @ 549 King. Windows appear to be in up to the 6th floor, scaffold is up on the west side and they have started to brick...same color as 569 King.

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_1817.jpg
    IMG_1817.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Updates on all of Phase One's buildings:

52 Sumach from King Street:

Corktown52SumachKing.jpg

52 Sumach closer up:

Corktown52SumachSide.jpg

52 Sumach stitched panorama:

Corktown52Sumachpano.jpg

569 King East

Corktown569.jpg

Urban Towns on Percy Street:

CorktownUrbanTowns.jpg

Long and narrow Roman-style brick:

CorktownBrick.jpg

549 King East from across the intersection at Sumach:

Corktown549Cornerpano.jpg

549 King East west side

Corktown549Sumachpano.jpg

549 King East on the receiving end

Corktown549Lift.jpg

549 King East from the southwest:

Corktown549LiftSide.jpg

549 King East with more stlll to be done:

Corktown549Sidepano.jpg

They're a bit clunky, but definitely charming and handsome. I'm not going to complain. I'm just depressed about what happened to little Bright Street. Blech.

I don't know, I think as far as infill buildings go they're pretty descent so far. Remind me a lot of the 8-ish story building on the southeast corner of King/Jarvis that's set back from the street. It's not going to make any heads turn, but as far as gentrification goes it's pretty descent vis-a-vis the surroundings.

^They look worse in person. The concrete "awnings" are chipped and of poor quality. Condovo's right - they are better buildings in theory than practice.

That being said, they are just fabric buildings. Eventually they'll just settle into the background and do their job.

Disagree ... they look great in person, we need a lot more of this stuff in Toronto to create the medium density throughout the outer core.

Regarding the chips and what not ... it's still under construction so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt it'll all be fixed soon.

And still, I'd take infill of this quality, chipped concrete and all, over nothing ANY day.

Eventually the concrete will be chipped anyway. Adds character to these warehouse-inspired buildings ;).

These are the kind of buildings that will look better with time...unlike the glass boxes that are going up everywhere.

The thing that astounds me with these buildings is the inability off Streetcar to finish the job. That last bit of brick on the south side 52 Sumach has been in that state for weeks. The unfinished elements on the front of the building have been that way for months. The same for the open front of 569 King E. Those blue/green/yellow panels on the front of the building have been like that for months even though the building has been finished for the same period. I have to agree with other posters, the finish up close leaves much to be desired but what I really like is the scale of these smaller condos.

Back