News   Jul 15, 2024
 521     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 681     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 589     0 

Corey Haim's Funeral Will (Not) Be Paid for by City of Toronto

It costs $100,000 to replace a light post (go figure). The city can certainly afford $20K to transport the body of Cory Haim to Toronto and lay him to rest here. I'm not saying this should be routine, but a little charity doesn't hurt.

Adma, I wasn't suggesting a state funeral. I was agreeing with your idea of a gravesite becoming a draw for a certain niche of tourists. For $20K, you couldn't buy 30 seconds of advertising on a local channel. In this case, the city of Toronto is being featured on major news networks, entertainment shows and newspapers.

Cross-post from the front page of ut:

The city isn't paying for Haim's funeral at all: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/780010--city-not-paying-for-corey-haim-s-funeral?bn=1

Interesting to see how rumours spread, though. Access Hollywood reports that Haim's mom says that she thinks the City of Toronto is paying for her son's funeral and the Toronto press then runs headlines like "City of Toronto to pay for Haim's funeral."

Damage is done. Guaranteed that you'll see people refer to this incident as something that happened when complaining about fiscal irresponsbility at city hall months for now.

Damage is done. Guaranteed that you'll see people refer to this incident as something that happened when complaining about fiscal irresponsbility at city hall months for now.

Sounds like it's part of the conspiracy plot to smudge Miller. I'm surprised this wasn't orignally run by the Sun.

Our print and TV media are getting worse and worse.

Stupid, the government should not be responsible for this sort of stuff. We have a shortage of funds, a transit system that needs investment, education that they are responsible for, etc. etc. etc. They should focus on what they are responsible for....

It costs the TTC millions of dollars annually to operate a single bus route. What can they do with $20,000?

It costs the TTC millions of dollars annually to operate a single bus route. What can they do with $20,000?

Hire a proper voice actor to do the announcements without mispronouncing half the station names. York Mill? Summer Hill? Bluer? Eglington? Bezzarion? EPIC FAIL

Ummm, feed a family - you know a living family - not worrying about one dead body. I know - it is just "pocket change" but that is why there never seems to be enough money - it is just x, it is not very much and then after doing that over and over all over the place - costs increase on an order of magnitude.

The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Death Benefit provides a one-time payment to, or on behalf of, the estate of a deceased contributor.

The Death Benefit is calculated using the amount that the deceased contributor's Canada Pension Plan Retirement Pension is, or would have been if he or she had been 65 when death occurred. The Death Benefit is equal to six months' worth of this calculated Retirement Pension, up to a maximum of $2,500.

Of course, the question comes up, did Corey Haim pay anything into the C.P.P.?

BTW. The $2,500 death benefit was the same amount from over 30 years ago. It has never been adjusted for inflation.

Toronto is on the front page of CNN.com and People.com

I'm proud that our city will be covering the expenses to bring one of its own home. This is the first time I've seen something like this happen though. Is it common? Does the city have the discretion to pay for a funeral? Where do the funds come from and who can make this decision?

I'm glad it's not true. I can't find any reason to be proud of such a gesture; what has Haim done to warrant a publicly funded funeral?

Back