News   Oct 18, 2024
 1.8K     6 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 264     0 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 763     4 

Convenience Stores and Gas Stations in Downtown that Sell Beer?

Handy little app they have there. Now if they could create one that shows real time hospital department closures across the province that actually migh be helpful.

They will stock what moves. They're not going to expend precious shelf space simply to add variety. A lot of smaller stores are already struggling to juggle stock within a limited space. I drink craft beer and certain single malt whiskies so oI doubt they will be getting much of my business.

Unlike the US, the stores here have to buy from the LCBO or Brewer's Retail cartels. Both have horrible selections of beer and wine. My last visit to the states i saw over 45 different kinds of craft beer for sale in the grocery store. Mostly all 6 packs. Craft beer is a huge market, we are screwed over here in Ontario.

I buy sherry and port regularly. Sherries can go from very dry to extremely sweet. Fino and Amontillado sherries are dry and work well in recipes that call for Shaoxing wine (which often contains gluten). And the 40-year old Sandeman tawny port we had with our (gluten-free) pumpkin pie last weekend was exceptional. And it's indeed very sweet.

I also love drinking madeira, but we don't have much variety here. Unlike port and sherry, it lasts practically forever once opened. Not that I have ever had to test this.

My spouse and I were staying in the Ballston area of Arlington Virginia in 2022 and went to a Pan-Iberian restaurant on a whim, and the place blew us away with food and service. We tried several madeiras as part of a promotion they had – a type of wine/liquor we haven’t had before – and were impressed.

It’s something that can really be savoured, but not something I’d expect to see at a convenience store.

Back