News   Apr 24, 2024
 984     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 630     0 

Controversial advertising in Toronto

Here is another controversial ad (but was removed before it was in circulation):
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2013/08/30/controversial_middle_east_ad_pitched_to_ttc.html

Paul Moloney said:
Controversial Middle East ad pitched to TTC

palestine_awareness_coalition.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Martha Roth, of the Palestine Awareness Coalition, stands near an ad paid for by the coalition depicting the territory of Palestine shrinking into the state of Israel, at a Canada Line commuter train station in downtown Vancouver, on Wednesday August 28, 2013.

An ad campaign about Israel and the Palestinian territories is being proposed to run on the Toronto Transit Commission.

The TTC says it will review whether to accept the advertising, submitted by a Montreal-based group called Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East.

The message is similar to a controversial ad campaign on Vancouver’s transit system from the Palestine Awareness Coalition, said Grace Batchoun, of the Montreal group.

The images displayed in Vancouver, which have drawn protests from Jewish advocacy groups like B’nai Brith, are intended to show the steady occupation of Palestinian territory by Israel.

“The goal is to increase awareness of the problem in the minds of the general public and hope they will think about it, the problem being the ongoing Israeli occupation of what are called the occupied territories,” Batchoun said.

When the Star requested a copy of the Montreal group’s proposed ad, the organization’s president, Thomas Woodley, responded that it was not naming the cities where it hoped to advertise.

“We are planning to run ads relating to Israel-Palestine in at least two Canadian cities but we haven’t publicly revealed where we’re planning to do so,” Woodley said.

B’nai Brith Canada argues the Palestine Awareness Coalition advertisement should be rejected in Vancouver because its transit system, Translink, has a policy that ads should not denigrate a group.

“This is derogatory against Israel and people who support Israel,” said B’nai Brith spokesman Sam Eskenasi, adding the group has received emails expressing the hope that a similar ad doesn’t show up on the TTC.

Under TTC policy, if at least five people complain about an approved ad, the issue goes to its advertising review committee, made up of commissioners.

Councillor John Parker, a committee member, said he expects people would complain if an ad appeared on the TTC similar to the one in Vancouver.

“I would say that (Vancouver) ad strikes me as provocative,” Parker said. “I would want to give it a thorough review before I could give it approval.”

Councillor Joe Mihevc, who served for several years on the advertising review committee, said an ad could be rejected if two of the three committee members opposed it.

Mihevc said most of the controversial advertising he dealt with centred on nudity or violence, as opposed to politics. The committee would assess whether the material met community standards of acceptability.

“They’re all tricky to deal with because there is such a thing as a community standard but it shifts — what it was 10 years ago is different from today,” he said.

“It’s about judgment. We value freedom of expression and political thought, yet at the same time we uphold community standards. We should not be offending the community but we also should not be restricting expression.”
This one is political.

Note that Mihevc is concerned about violence on advertisements (yet, oddly enough, he is not concerned about the advertising of a violent video game on the sides of buses and streetcars, as the ad itself does not condone violence (but the game itself does and prides itself for it, hence the controversy, especially south of the border)).

Last edited:
I don't know that violent video games promote violence. I'd rather say it's quite the opposite. Humans are violent by nature. If you don't believe me, try watching a few toddlers interact when there is no supervision. One could make the argument that violent media is a healthy and benign way for us to unleash these violent tendencies. Given that most of the media we consume has a tremendous amount of depicted violence, focusing on a single game seems disingenuous. I'd worry more about the embedded propaganda contained within the violent media we consume, but hey, nobody wants to ever acknowledge that.

The Israel Palestine ad, on the other hand, speaks of real violence in our current time. I do not see how the ad denigrates "a particular group," especially since I would presume (or at least hope) that the members of that "particular group" do not identify with or condone the actions of the state that claims to represent them. If this ad is blocked, I would find it supremely hypocritical.

Last edited:
It's an unfortunately easy (and intellectually dishonest) defense to falsely misrepresent criticism of a country's specific policies or actions to being hateful of an entire, very diverse, multi-national ethnorelgious group who are certainly not united in their views of said policies/actions. Such tactics have been unfortunately successful. I would like those ads to appear in Toronto. If pro-Israeli ads also appeared, I'd be fine with them too as long as they are respectful and unantagonistic (and there have been before).

I love the Grand Theft Auto series. I find them, yes, violent and I certainly get (and even agree somewhat with) the criticisms of those games also being misogynistic. But I really enjoy the open-world environment, the astute cultural and social parodies and subtle commentary, and yes, getting a five-star status for blowing up a police roadblock is harmless fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Last edited:
Context is everything, and OMFG fits the audience it is going after. If it were for a CBC ad or a CNN ad, perhaps not. OMFG is not a swear word. If I were to say "O M F G", all I am saying are the letters O M F and G. Same silliness went on when FCUK came to Canada. Puritans were outraged. Lol.

Everyone just loves to blame GTA, and other violent video games for issues that they don't know how to tackle. It's so easy to use violent media as a scapegoat and excuse for doing nothing to actually address the issue of youth violence (which it's often blamed for). People who let games, music, movies, etc. influence their real life behaviour are likely suffering from other issues that need to be addressed. I've played first person shooters and the GTA series since I was a little kid, and so have hundreds of thousands of others who haven't demonstrated criminal or violent tendencies.

Controversy notwithstanding, GTA V has already been heralded as a masterpiece of storytelling, gameplay and technical achievement. And honestly, it's not really much more violent than some of the classic and critically acclaimed gangster flicks and action movies that have become culturally significant (watch Reservoir Dogs again, I saw that when I was 15).

I found the city's attempt to generate some controversy with its WTF? campaign amusing.

Kind of in a 'your parents trying to be hip' way.

Is there a gulf in acceptability between WTF and OMFG? Apparently.

ps. ad campaign notwithstanding, the city's historic museums are well worth visiting.

Both have the f-word as part of their respective acronyms.

At least the city said that the "F" stands for "fact," though in common usage, it refers to something else completely.

It is an interesting way to generate interest in historic museums, rather than wasting time playing video games.

The historic museum ad is controversial nonetheless.

As far as controversial "advertising" goes it doesn't get anymore offensive or disgusting as this! :mad:

The city gave an east-end Mosque $17,000 of your tax-dollars so that the Mosque could paint a mural that promotes Jihad (holy war)!
banghead.gif

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/08/city-probes-publicly-funded-mural-critics-say-promotes-holy-war

1297477058761_ORIGINAL.jpg

Phote credit: Craig Robertson/Toronto Sun

“It’s an excerpt from the Qur’an, (and) it is used as a slogan when you’re fighting a jihad,” he said.

In the petition, Ahmad claims the verse is used by both the Taliban and al-Qaida terrorist groups.

Last edited:
I don't know that violent video games promote violence. I'd rather say it's quite the opposite. Humans are violent by nature. If you don't believe me, try watching a few toddlers interact when there is no supervision. One could make the argument that violent media is a healthy and benign way for us to unleash these violent tendencies. Given that most of the media we consume has a tremendous amount of depicted violence, focusing on a single game seems disingenuous. I'd worry more about the embedded propaganda contained within the violent media we consume, but hey, nobody wants to ever acknowledge that.

The Israel Palestine ad, on the other hand, speaks of real violence in our current time. I do not see how the ad denigrates "a particular group," especially since I would presume (or at least hope) that the members of that "particular group" do not identify with or condone the actions of the state that claims to represent them. If this ad is blocked, I would find it supremely hypocritical.

Pardon the snark, but if you do not know, why do you speak on the subject? How should I be convinced that your opinion has any merit?

It's actually quite well established in research literature that exposure to violent media results in violent behaviour. For example, see here. Many more if you care to go on pubmed.gov.

I'm not meaning to start an argument, as the data are not really up for dispute, and especially by those who claim "not to know" about the subject.

No offence taken. I don't know that violent games promote violence was meant to convey that I'm not entirely convinced that violent media is the deciding factor in whether children develop violent impulses. Coming from a psychoanalytical background (I will admit, one stemming out of personal interest and not of formal practice) I would argue that other factors, such as family dynamics, are far more instrumental deciding whether children will channel their aggressive impulses destructively or not.

The article you linked is titled Childhood Exposure to Media Violence Predicts Young Adult Aggressive Behavior. One of the more telling quotes in the article states the following:
Thus, a violent act by someone like Dirty Harry that results in a criminal being eliminated and brings glory to Harry is of more concern than a bloodier murder by a despicable criminal who is brought to justice.
The point being that the identification with a character who achieves positive goals and reinforcements for being violent leads to children developing their own violent behaviors. I would argue that there's more at play there than the violent media itself. Much, much more, and focusing on the surface of the problem is really not particularly useful.

The city gave an east-end Mosque $17,000 of your tax-dollars so that the Mosque could paint a mural that promotes Jihad (holy war)!

Even the Toronto sun article was more fair in presenting the situation than you, Peppers. From the same article:

The Riverdale Immigrant Women’s Centre (RIWC), located just west of the mosque, applied for a grant and was awarded $17,000 in 2012 for mural projects under a city art program. Laury Silvers, a part-time professor of Islamic studies at University of Toronto, said the mural’s message has been blown out of proportion.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Religious nuts fetishize about this sort of bullsh*t all the time:
http://hyperallergic.com/87096/a-new-york-apocalypse-hidden-in-plain-sight/

I was born into a jewish family and that is just absurd. Their territory is shrinking. Pretending it isn't happening doesn't do jewish diaspora (especially liberal athiests like me) any good, so I don't support that kind of mentality. I am not going to get into a whole middle east debate either. I have been over there and seen it with my own eyes and it is simply a mess that no forum debate will ever even scratch the surface on. So on that note I will leave it alone. As for controversial advertising in Toronto, does anyone remember last year when CP24 was running pro-life commercials? I can only imagine how bad the flood of complaints was - the ads ran for less than a week.

I was born into a jewish family and that is just absurd. Their territory is shrinking. Pretending it isn't happening doesn't do jewish diaspora (especially liberal athiests like me) any good, so I don't support that kind of mentality. I am not going to get into a whole middle east debate either. I have been over there and seen it with my own eyes and it is simply a mess that no forum debate will ever even scratch the surface on. So on that note I will leave it alone. As for controversial advertising in Toronto, does anyone remember last year when CP24 was running pro-life commercials? I can only imagine how bad the flood of complaints was - the ads ran for less than a week.
Thank you for reminding me that there were annoying pro-life commercials on CP24. Unfortunately, with the demise of the CityNews Channel, CP24 is the only 24-hour local news channel for Toronto.

Back