News   Apr 26, 2024
 929     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 257     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 767     0 

Congestion taxes?

I've always taken a lot of issue with the price of the cash fare on the TTC. On one hand it makes sense (they need money, and it encourages people to buy metropasses, or tokens [certainly not tickets as they continually make them go void]) but on the other hand, $2.75 puts them about $0.50 over what it would cost to drive downtown and find parking.

It seems underhanded to make PT seem more affordable by artificially increasing the cost of other methods (congestion charge, I'm looking at you)

Based on your words, your trip downtown would have to cost less than $5.50. Even if even the most fuel efficient cars would use 1/4 to 1/2 of that for the round trip on gas alone, so that leaves as much as $4 and change for parking for the entire day. I would love to find a weekday parking lot that will offer you a daily rate of $4. You're lucky if you can find one for double that. Not to mention the insurance, the cost of purchasing the car and the cost of required maintenance.

While I admit that work needs to be done to ensure that everyone has the ability to choose transit, even if you doubled fares, owning a car will always be more expensive than 12 months of metro passes.

They jack up cash fare because they're trying to discourage people from using cash fares and lining up all the time. Just get an Oyster (or buy tokens in Toronto)!

A zones 1-2 day pass costs 6.80 before 9am and 5.30 after (only 1.30 more than a single ticket). With an Oyster it's 4.80.

but you can't buy the pass before 9.30 though, its an off peak fare...you are forced to buy either a single or return.

but you can't buy the pass before 9.30 though, its an off peak fare...you are forced to buy either a single or return.

No, as I said it's 6.80 before 9:30am and 5.30 after. Still far, far cheaper than a couple for 4.00 singles. They have set up the system so that there are always alternatives to single tickets, unless all you ever want is a single trip.

Based on your words, your trip downtown would have to cost less than $5.50. Even if even the most fuel efficient cars would use 1/4 to 1/2 of that for the round trip on gas alone, so that leaves as much as $4 and change for parking for the entire day. I would love to find a weekday parking lot that will offer you a daily rate of $4. You're lucky if you can find one for double that. Not to mention the insurance, the cost of purchasing the car and the cost of required maintenance.

Yes, but I already own the car. I've made that commitment already. If every morning I had to make the choice between taking transit and buying a car, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you.

As for cheap parking; I expense my parking at work. The tax I pay on that is significantly less than what I'd pay for a metropass.

I'm not saying that car ownership isn't more expensive than taking the TTC, only suggesting that the TTC has made itself unattractive to consider as an alternative - even just for shopping trips.

As for cheap parking; I expense my parking at work. The tax I pay on that is significantly less than what I'd pay for a metropass.
This is something the city doesn't seem to understand. I'm a private business myself, and use my car only for visiting my clients, so I expense all my gas, insurance, parking, maintenance, congestion fees, mileage, etc. If you want to get me on the subway, it has to be because it's convenient and pleasant to use, not because it's cheaper. For example, in London, UK, private business folks use the tube not because it's cheaper than a car, but because driving in London is a chore.

As for the usual working person, as soon as you put two or more folks in a car, the TTC loses quickly. If I want to take my two kids and spouse to the Museum for example, in our family vehicle we can park behind OISE for less than the cost of transit.

As for the usual working person, as soon as you put two or more folks in a car, the TTC loses quickly. If I want to take my two kids and spouse to the Museum for example, in our family vehicle we can park behind OISE for less than the cost of transit.

Or just go on the weekend and buy a day pass, which will be cheaper than parking.

Transit will never be right for everyone. Those who insist on driving, for whatever reason, will continue to do so. But, as I've said before, we must give everyone the choice to choose transit and enact measures to discourage people from driving in congested areas. We cannot ram transit down people's throats - only persuade them to take the better way.

Tolls, gas taxes urged to fund roads, transit
January 21, 2008
THE CANADIAN PRESS

9ab7d86e4fd7922acfdb5d1e88dc.jpeg

Ontario drivers should have to pay more to use highways and other major thoroughfares, says a study by the Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario that calls for road tolls, a gas levy and congestion charges to pay for highway upgrades and public transit.

Ontario drivers should have to pay more to use the province's highways and other major thoroughfares.

That's the conclusion of a study released today by the Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario.

The study calls for road tolls, a gas levy and congestion charges to pay for highway upgrades and public transit.

The study's author, Trent University professor Harry Kitchen, says the extra charges would help the environment and reduce traffic jams by getting people off the roads.

But at least one Liberal veteran is throwing cold water on the idea.

Former Finance Minister Greg Sorbara says Ontario already charges enough taxes to finance highway and public transit projects but needs help from Ottawa.

"Given the current state of the economy, I wouldn't be one who would be recommending increasing taxes," Sorbara said.

"I would be recommending strongly that the federal government and federal ministers honour their obligations to invest in infrastructure in this part of the country."

The Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario, which commissioned the study, is scheduled to meet Transportation Minister Jim Bradley on Wednesday to discuss the issue.

A toll of seven cents per kilometre of travel would generate $700 million in revenue each year and drivers could be billed by mail, the study found.

It also called for a fuel tax of about six cents a litre to generate up to $420 million per year to relieve gridlock and improve public transit without raising property taxes.

It will take time to build the necessary infrastructure to charge tolls, but Kitchen said the investment would be worth it.

"It's not necessarily all about raising revenue," he said.

"It's about getting efficient use of it. What (tolls) are effectively doing is keeping cars off the road – reduce congestion and reduce their environmental problem. That is a value too."

New Road Tolls?
Study also to recommend fuel levy to pay for transit systems in GTA, Hamilton
By JASON BUCKLAND, SUN MEDIA

A study to be released today will urge local governments to adopt a range of new taxes -- including road tolls and a gas levy -- to fund highway and public transit systems.

The study, authored by Trent University professor Harry Kitchen, proposes a tax for the use of major 400-series highways in the GTA and Hamilton area, as well as the QEW, Don Valley Parkway, Gardiner Expressway and other "major arterial highways deemed appropriate."

It also suggests a fuel tax for the area and notes that "a charge of 6 cents per litre would generate new revenue of between $300 million and $420 million per year.

"A municipal fuel tax is a blunter instrument than road tolls for controlling individual behaviour but it is most certain to have an impact as commuters are likely to drive less if gas prices rise," Kitchen noted in the study, to be released at a Queen's Park press conference.

Funds collected would aim to relieve gridlock and improve the transit infrastructure without raising property taxes.

BILL IN THE MAIL

Kitchen suggests a governing body like Metrolinx -- a public transit authority created by the Ontario government in 2006 -- be given power to implement taxes and decide the allocation of cash.

The cost or how taxes would be collected is not provided, but drivers could receive a bill in the mail like the ones Hwy. 407 sends out.

A toll of 7 cents per km of travel would generate $700 million in revenue annually, the report estimates.

"There's no right answer to how something like this should work," said Andy Manahan, executive director of the Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario (RCCAO), which commissioned the study.

"But traffic gets worse and worse every year and it's important to open up a dialogue on these issues."

The report recommends varying degrees of road tax, based on type of vehicle and distance travelled.

A large truck that causes more damage to roadways would be charged more than a hybrid, for example. Time of day when travelling would also factor into the cost.

"It gives people incentive to become more fuel efficient," Manahan said, noting how similar road tax systems are already in place in the U.K. and Singapore.

"If money is funnelled into public transit, the better it will become and the more people will use it."

Manahan said road tolls work in London because the public transportation structure is so expansive.

"We're not at that point yet where the transit system reaches enough people in the GTA," he said.

"That might take 10 or 20 years to get, but we've got to start somewhere to generate revenue."

The RCCAO will meet with Transportation Minister Jim Bradley on Wednesday to discuss the study.

The study also proposes a tax on fuel, non-residential parking and vehicle registration.

PARKING SPOT

Fuel could see a hike of 6 cents per litre, while each parking spot would be taxed $25 annually to subsidize local transit and streets.

Right now, Toronto is the only municipality that imposes vehicle registration fees.

Kitchen argues this authority should be imposed across the GTA and Hamilton area.

Preville's take on the matter.
Who benefits? The sponsors of this report...
Residential and Civil Construction Association of Ontario. Its members are the construction companies and the labour unions that build and repair the roads

Transportopia! (or, For whom the road tolls)
Posted on January 21, 2008 by Philip Preville

You can skip tomorrow’s Toronto Star, because here’s what will surely be its front page story: a report recommending every possible road and vehicle tax you can think of—an additional fuel tax of six cents a litre, a vehicle registration fee (which Toronto already has, but which the report says other municipalities should charge too), a $25 annual tax on non-residential parking spaces, and tolls of seven cents per kilometre on all the 400-series highways, as well as the Gardiner, the DVP, and the Red Hill Creek and Lincoln Alexander Parkways.

Surprisingly, the report wasn’t written by any government, but by the Residential and Civil Construction Association of Ontario. Its members are the construction companies and the labour unions that build and repair the roads, and it has, of late, been commissioning lots of highly academic studies on transportation in the GTA. “From our association’s point of view, we’re not backing every recommendation in the report 100 per cent,†says RCCAO executive director, Andy Manahan. “But we do have an interest in elevating the discussion.â€

What he means is that the RCCAO has a keen interest in making sure that government money keeps flowing to the road and rail construction projects from which its members profit. But there’s no shame in that—especially given the sorry state of GTA infrastructure, which is in desperate need of fixing just about everywhere at all times. The logic behind all the taxes is to make driving more expensive, which, in turn, will encourage more people to take public transit, thus solving the congestion problem. Meanwhile, the money raised would be dedicated to road and transit improvements in the region. The end result? Transportopia! Roads paved smooth as black silk ribbon with no congestion, and shiny new transit vehicles whisking people to their destinations right on time. All for the low, low price of seven cents a kilometre. Don’t you just love academic reports?

Anyway, with Metrolinx (what’s that? It’s the region’s new transportation authority) due to release its transportation master plan for the GTAH (what’s that? It’s the new acronym for Greater Toronto And Hamilton) this spring, we will be talking about road tolls and the like for most of 2008. Politicians at all levels are busy amassing the will to solve gridlock. The only trouble is that the problem might disappear before everyone can agree on the solution: if the economy tanks and people’s disposable incomes dry up, cars come off the roads by the thousands. It happened in the early 1990s, and it may happen again. When it comes to alleviating congestion, a scorched-earth economy beats a road toll hands-down.

"A toll of seven cents per kilometre of travel would generate $700 million in revenue each year and drivers could be billed by mail, the study found."

Cool, that means there are 70 billion vehicle-highway-kms used per year... Something I've been curious about.

"A large truck that causes more damage to roadways would be charged more than a hybrid, for example"

I hope they're not suggesting we make a loophole for hybrid vehicles versus identical conventionally powered vehicles. Bad things happen when people try to get a policy instrument to do too many things.

"Transportopia! Roads paved smooth as black silk ribbon with no congestion, and shiny new transit vehicles whisking people to their destinations right on time. All for the low, low price of seven cents a kilometre. Don’t you just love academic reports?"

A billion dollars a year will hardly allow us to pave the streets with gold as this author suggests. I imagine that even that amount won't be sufficient to keep pace with maintenance and growth capital costs of the GTA transit agencies, leaving aside road maintenance. The GTA is growing very quickly, and infrastructure investment has been insufficient to maintain a level of service even if the population hadn't been growing.

"The only trouble is that the problem might disappear before everyone can agree on the solution: if the economy tanks and people’s disposable incomes dry up, cars come off the roads by the thousands. It happened in the early 1990s, and it may happen again. When it comes to alleviating congestion, a scorched-earth economy beats a road toll hands-down."

That obviously wasn't a sustainable solution. I think we're also being a bit melodramatic if we think the impending recession will be anywhere nearly so severe.

Back