News   Jul 11, 2024
 55     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2K     1 

Condo Upgrades

that does vary depending on if it is a load bearing/structural wall ... best way to find out the specifics for your suite is through the builder

Sorry if this question has been answered already here or elsewhere in the forum, but does anyone know what the standard thickness of interior walls are in condominiums? (I haven't moved in to my place yet so I can't answer that question for myself)

I'm looking to wall mount my tv and will need a recessed power outlet installed behind it. Thanks in advance!

ask the builder if they can mount of outlet at eye level, from what I hear you have to ask at the time of color selection, but I guess builders vary, I would let me know asap. same with the cable outlet. some builders will do this for you, maybe an extra charge, but sure as hell makes for an easy clean install.

Sorry if this question has been answered already here or elsewhere in the forum, but does anyone know what the standard thickness of interior walls are in condominiums? (I haven't moved in to my place yet so I can't answer that question for myself)

I'm looking to wall mount my tv and will need a recessed power outlet installed behind it. Thanks in advance!

Wall thickness is typically 5-6" for interior walls give or take a bit..

As for the outlet, that's something you would have had to pay for. Our builder had it as an option during color selection and it was 890$... For that price I believe they hire Thor himself to support and power your TV.

Wall thickness is typically 5-6" for interior walls give or take a bit..

As for the outlet, that's something you would have had to pay for. Our builder had it as an option during color selection and it was 890$... For that price I believe they hire Thor himself to support and power your TV.

WOW :eek:

what builder if you dont mind me asking?

thats insane and should be illegal to charge that kind of $

I still dont care what anybody sais about upgrades, the consumer should at least have a price list with average or ballpark prices for upgrades, telling customers "you will find out during color selection" does not really go well with me, I am sure they know ballpark prices or average prices, they just dont want to tell you when you sign the papers because some of the prices are honestly just total b.s and totally over inflated!!!

WOW :eek:

what builder if you dont mind me asking?

thats insane and should be illegal to charge that kind of $

I still dont care what anybody sais about upgrades, the consumer should at least have a price list with average or ballpark prices for upgrades, telling customers "you will find out during color selection" does not really go well with me, I am sure they know ballpark prices or average prices, they just dont want to tell you when you sign the papers because some of the prices are honestly just total b.s and totally over inflated!!!

welcome to the seedy world of condo buying !

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm unable to request the developer to put in an outlet as the unit is almost ready for occupancy. However, there is a cable/power outlet directly below where I want the tv placed so I may call an electrician to branch out from that source. I've also come across different DIY products like PowerBridge. HOWEVER, I do recall reading a post here mentioning that running romex (non-metallic sheathed electrical cable) behind a wall is against code for condos/hi-rises in Toronto. I'm assuming it's because the metal studs could potentially cut away at the cable causing a fire.

So if anyone has any recommendations for good, qualified electricians I'm all ears!

HOWEVER, I do recall reading a post here mentioning that running romex (non-metallic sheathed electrical cable) behind a wall is against code for condos/hi-rises in Toronto. I'm assuming it's because the metal studs could potentially cut away at the cable causing a fire.

So if anyone has any recommendations for good, qualified electricians I'm all ears!

That's right.. you need to use BX (armoured cable).. that's what the electrician will bring along.

Hello I'm at the stage of choosing colour schemes and upgrades @Markham Place. Wondering if its worth upgrading to undermount sink for washroom $600,kitchen $1000. Other than it being easier to clean the countertop and the look(which is subjective) are there any other advantages? This is a starter condo don't plan on living there longer than 5yrs, plus being that it is in Scarbz I don't know if I can recover the cost as easily during RE as a place downtown

given the low price point of units in Markham Place, I generally do not recommend putting in upgrades as the future purchaser of your unit wouldn't care, they would likely only buy in the building because it was affordable

I think washroom undermount sink is unnecessary anyways, typically builder give you a one piece cultured marble (fake manufactured) counter top with integrated sink anyways, and with respect to kitchen undermount sink that is an upgrade I went for at Solaris but it only charged me $630 ... I think VHL is ripping you off to charge you $1000

Last edited:
Hello I'm at the stage of choosing colour schemes and upgrades @Markham Place. Wondering if its worth upgrading to undermount sink for washroom $600,kitchen $1000. Other than it being easier to clean the countertop and the look(which is subjective) are there any other advantages? This is a starter condo don't plan on living there longer than 5yrs, plus being that it is in Scarbz I don't know if I can recover the cost as easily during RE as a place downtown

sorry but that's not worth it, and you won't recoup the cost at that location.

given the low price point of units in Markham Place, I generally do not recommend putting in upgrades as the future purchaser of your unit wouldn't care, they would likely only buy in the building because it was affordable

I think washroom undermount sink is unnecessary anyways, typically builder give you a one piece cultured marble (fake manufactured) counter top with integrated sink anyways, and with respect to kitchen undermount sink that is an upgrade I went for at Solaris but it only charged me $630 ... I think VHL is ripping you off to charge you $1000

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing: people who really care about those features wouldn't buy in that location I couldn't RE high based on upgrades my audience would get priced out.

However to me this is more of a convenient and nice place to live than an investment and I want to enjoy it while I'm there. Guess there's not much enjoyment in undermount? Not for investment purposes but for personal satisfaction,what upgrades would you recommend?

Opinions on this matter will vary but I say..

delete carpets! I hate carpets and they get stained and bad for allergies. If you like carpets get an area rug.

undermount is nice I will admit.

Some kitchen islands dont come with a breakfast bar, the countertop is not extended enough [ I know it sounds stupid] but just make sure there is an extended countertop, thats something that would be hard to do later on, you would have to ripp off the old granite and replace it.

even backsplash, sometimes they charge you like $1500 to put in a backslapsh, i dont think thats worth it, you can do that private cheaper. so you have to do your homework on it a bit. For me to go find floors that match the exact color, ripp out all the carpets, then install hardwood is a pain in the ass job. I would just get the builder to do it,

and If I am correct, you cant upgrade to undermount kitchen sink in the future, you would have to replace that slab of granite, somebody correct me if I am wrong please.

Back