News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Condo hardwood

taal

Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe this should be in the general discussion thread?

Regarding hardwood (engineered) in a condo how much give is normal in certain locations i.e. around the window. So, in other words, if you push down on the hardwood or step on it near the window if it goes down a bit / a lot I take it is a bad thing? It only happens on the wood panel right beside the window i.e. if you jump on the hardwood one foot away from the window it's as solid as a rock.

I think it is not well secured to the sub floor.

Thinking of adding this to the deficiency list. Any similar experience?

Maybe this should be in the general discussion thread?

Regarding hardwood (engineered) in a condo how much give is normal in certain locations i.e. around the window. So, in other words, if you push down on the hardwood or step on it near the window if it goes down a bit / a lot I take it is a bad thing? It only happens on the wood panel right beside the window i.e. if you jump on the hardwood one foot away from the window it's as solid as a rock.

I think it is not well secured to the sub floor.

Thinking of adding this to the deficiency list. Any similar experience?

maybe the floor by the window is uneven ???
... get a level to quickly check and eliminate that possibility.

You certainly want to get this on your defiency list. You should not notice anything when you stand on it.
Sounds like the flooring got 'finished' up as lunch break was approaching. Should not be a big deal for the builder to get it re-done right.

taal - we're having a big problem with this in our new condo building. It's DEFINITELY a deficiency. My builder is supposedly coming in to replace my sections that give/bounce next week. We'll see how they correct it...

My builder is making everyone sign a waiver. Something about being obligated to maintain a certain humidity in the unit, or else the floor will cup....

My builder is making everyone sign a waiver. Something about being obligated to maintain a certain humidity in the unit, or else the floor will cup....

Engineered flooring should not cup!

I had 3/4 inch red oak flooring installed on the second floor of my place a couple of years ago, and made sure the wood sat for a day to adjust to the house temperature before they put it down. Also, there is a range of room temperature within which the installers should work, to reduce the risk of warping - more critical with solid wood than veneer - that was maintained. I've had no problems.

more resistant to warping, shrinking etc but at the end of the day it's still wood. learned this the hard way when i installed it on heated floors.

With a properly engineered floor the base layers will have the grain laminated in perpendicular layers preventing warping and cupping.

With a properly engineered floor the base layers will have the grain laminated in perpendicular layers preventing warping and cupping.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheap floor.

Anyways, who wants an unsightly (de)humidifier in their unit?

Engineered flooring should not cup!

This. I, a complete amateur installed engineered floors in my condo two years ago, and have no problems with it, high or low humidity. The washing machine/heated floor examples are obviously extremes, but having the floor near the window shouldn't be a problem.

This. I, a complete amateur installed engineered floors in my condo two years ago, and have no problems with it, high or low humidity. The washing machine/heated floor examples are obviously extremes, but having the floor near the window shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe they're just covering their asses from a low-risk liability. Hopefully.

Thanks for all the info! We're adding it to our list a.s.a.p - I'm going to call the developer my self in the next little while as well. We had someone in who knew a thing or two about hardwood and they said it was definitely a problem though minor now (as it is only in one area) but we should get it fixed.

I have an air pocket on my hardwood which the builder claims is normal, it's not.

I have a question, most everyone in my building is running a humidifier 24 hrs a day, is this not a huge waste of energy? They're doing it for the floors, not because it's dry.

Should the city not step in and tell the builders enough is enough with this cheap engineered wood? All my friends who put in genuine 3/4 inch wood have no issues.

Back