News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 292     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 826     0 

Condo Fees vs. Home Ownership

We live in an older building so I only know what I read, and that's quite a bit. Forum contributor Condo Madness is a fount of knowledge. As is the Condo Information Centre.

Four things to think about:

One, the plumbing. I've heard a lot about new builds, cheap pipes and floods. Have you checked what other projects that developer has put up?

Two, windows that broil you and/or limit how much natural air you can allow in. Count on investing in serious window coverings for insulation, against heat loss as well. Think of your dog and how comfortable she will be all day long.

Three, we have a dog that's almost 12. I figure he has another 3-5 years in him. Do not underestimate the hassle of a sick dog wanting to out in the middle of the night. It's manageable so don't get me wrong. But it will affect your sleep.

Four, I have heard of new build condo fees jumping 100% within 4-5 years.

Don't get me wrong. I love the condo life -- except for the aforementioned doggie illness. But do go into this with your eyes wide open.

Thanks so much for all this. My dog will be 11 when I move in, so already thought about his walks and end. (Hardwood everywhere lol)

I still have to check on builder quality (tas) but now I have 10 days to research or backout. It was an avalanche of reasons to do it and a handful of reasons not to - and my layout and floor (and view) was the last one left.

Up until a few years ago I was totally against condo fees, but I've accepted them more over the last few years - thanks in part to this forum. Up until the last few months I hadn't conceived of doing this. But once I did and crunched the numbers it was jaw dropping.

And if I'm not on the condo board I'll be paying attention. That's the biggest pitfall in condos, it appears.

They did say I have no choice on parking spot. But I'm also talking it to a local lawyer who's already closed 5 units here. So they should already have the lowdown.

Have to start reading my condo by laws now..........maybe tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all this. My dog will be 11 when I move in, so already thought about his walks and end. (Hardwood everywhere lol)

I still have to check on builder quality (tas) but now I have 10 days to research or backout. It was an avalanche of reasons to do it and a handful of reasons not to - and my layout and floor (and view) was the last one left.

Up until a few years ago I was totally against condo fees, but I've accepted them more over the last few years - thanks in part to this forum. Up until the last few months I hadn't conceived of doing this. But once I did and crunched the numbers it was jaw dropping.

And if I'm not on the condo board I'll be paying attention. That's the biggest pitfall in condos, it appears.

They did say I have no choice on parking spot. But I'm also talking it to a local lawyer who's already closed 5 units here. So they should already have the lowdown.

Have to start reading my condo by laws now..........maybe tomorrow.

Which project?

Square footage includes only finished portions of a house or units. That includes the inside stairs, hallways, and closets. Does not include unfinished portions, such as basements, garage, utility room (concrete and visible studs), balconies, and porches.

Studs like this is not included.
neville-longbottom.png

Attachments

• neville-longbottom.png
    neville-longbottom.png
    683.1 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:
That's pretty high IMO.

Thanks I've had a quick chat with my real estate agent. He's begun crunching numbers and feels it's a little high to inline with the area. I'm having a sit down with him Friday evening and will get much more info from him then.

As for the builder TAS. They've also done Dia, M5V and they're doing DUKE and Windermere. Haven't seen anything on these forums yet (+ or - ). More searching to do still though.

Thanks I've had a quick chat with my real estate agent. He's begun crunching numbers and feels it's a little high to inline with the area. I'm having a sit down with him Friday evening and will get much more info from him then.

As for the builder TAS. They've also done Dia, M5V and they're doing DUKE and Windermere. Haven't seen anything on these forums yet (+ or - ). More searching to do still though.

M5V such a let down. Bad rep

M5V such a let down. Bad rep

Yea, read about that after posting. But TAS was developer and Tucker high rise was builder. So this is one of the things I'm trying confirm for this place.

Isn't Tucker doing 1 BE?

Yes. M5V had a lot of problems. When we were looking for a home, I visited a few units in that building. Really poor job. Had so much potential too. Shame.

Was it just build quality? Or other issues as well. From reading the M5V thread most owners there seemed thrilled with their units during PDI, but I also found one person's blog posts/photos on poor quality. He definitely had some good points, but a few were over the top IMO. Then again, if I found a few obvious flaws with my unit I'd go over everything with a fine tooth comb too.

Was it just build quality? Or other issues as well. From reading the M5V thread most owners there seemed thrilled with their units during PDI, but I also found one person's blog posts/photos on poor quality. He definitely had some good points, but a few were over the top IMO. Then again, if I found a few obvious flaws with my unit I'd go over everything with a fine tooth comb too.

Build quality was a big issue and just turned us off the whole building. Again, this is just my opinion based on what I saw.

Back