News   Apr 26, 2024
 93     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 322     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

Condo Balcony - Decking

It's like a tile; snaps together. You can also get edging pieces. We installed it a couple of years ago and it's lasted just fine through winters, etc. Cleans easily. We've been happy with it. I've also seen snap-together pieces that look like wood -- I've wondered how that would last.

Finished my project thanks to Roy G Biv's tip. Got these from Cosco. Quite pleased with the quality and how nicely they cut around tricky areas. Not cheap though. I see Cdn Tire now has these too. $30.00 for a pkg of 4.

Attachments

• decking2.jpg
    decking2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 393
  • decking.jpg
    decking.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 421
Looks good!
Are they square tiles? Or individual pieces (e.g., rectangles). Could you have staggered the pattern somehow?

Looks good!
Are they square tiles? Or individual pieces (e.g., rectangles). Could you have staggered the pattern somehow?

They are square, and yes I could have alternated the the pattern. I see a neighbour down below who just did theirs that way. I preferred it this way.
They claim to have a 25yr guarantee, so in time I may choose to play around with them but for now..

Good point, i.e. because they snap together you can change it up. This type of thing really is a quick and easy way to dress up a dull concrete balcony.

Quite pleased with the quality and how nicely they cut around tricky areas.

Looks wonderful! I think it would look best the way you installed them as opposed to staggered. But it's personal preference.

So how do you cut these things around the tricky areas (i.e. your picture on the left)? You cut them marvously accurate. What did you use to cut them? I have no experience with these but plan to go this route in a couple of years time after my condo is built.

I actually like the way they were installed too, I was just wondering if there were options :)

Looks wonderful! I think it would look best the way you installed them as opposed to staggered. But it's personal preference.

So how do you cut these things around the tricky areas (i.e. your picture on the left)? You cut them marvously accurate. What did you use to cut them? I have no experience with these but plan to go this route in a couple of years time after my condo is built.

These things are harder than softwood but softer than hardwood, if that makes any sense. We used a keyhole saw. Tried to use a jigsaw but found the speed of the blade was melting the material and jamming up. The hand saw and CAREFUL measuring did the trick. (Its expensive to make a booboo with these)

Finished my project thanks to Roy G Biv's tip. Got these from Cosco. Quite pleased with the quality and how nicely they cut around tricky areas. Not cheap though. I see Cdn Tire now has these too. $30.00 for a pkg of 4.

A nicely done balcony, I love it! Do you cut the tiles yourself so they can fit the corners and the balcony fence? Is there any other colour available?

I just bought the boards that I posted above from Rona. I think they're pretty nice partially laid out.... I'm hoping to cut them this weekend and once they're done I'll post a few pics

After a good deal of research I ended up deciding on Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) tiles from a company in BC. They were relatively expensive ($13/sf including shipping) but a great deal cheaper than a custom deck and I'm really happy with the results. I laid them in an alternating pattern and used a rented jigsaw to complete the edge against the condo side of the balcony. I wasn't aware this sort of product existed until very recently and regardless of the material used (wood/plastic/composite) I think they're a great way to improve a plain concrete balcony.

After a good deal of research I ended up deciding on Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) tiles from a company in BC. They were relatively expensive ($13/sf including shipping) but a great deal cheaper than a custom deck and I'm really happy with the results. I laid them in an alternating pattern and used a rented jigsaw to complete the edge against the condo side of the balcony. I wasn't aware this sort of product existed until very recently and regardless of the material used (wood/plastic/composite) I think they're a great way to improve a plain concrete balcony.

That looks great! I like the size of those tiles. Looks rich.

what other options are available different than wood floor for balconies? can a regular slate tile be installed on a balcony? or different tiles?

The tiles we have aren't wood; they're like a manufactured/plastic tile -- look better than they sound! If you look back, I posted a link to an article that in turn linked to five or six different options. The problem with installing a regular slate tile is just that -- installing it. Water still has to be able to "move", so you can't affix tile to the concrete. The type of tiles people are using here snap together, so they're easily removable and still allow air/water to move.

Back