News   Aug 30, 2024
 244     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 255     3 

Commute suggestions? Bloor West to Bay Street

christiesplits

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey guys, a quick question on behalf of my brother. He is a transplanted suburbanite, so public transit is out of the question.

He recently moved to the Annette/Runneymede area, and drives to Bay & College every day. He currently uses Bloor West or College via Lansdowne.

Alas, after fighting with the lights and streetcars, he is hoping for a quicker commute, even if it clocks in a few minutes less. Any suggestions? As he is north of Bloor, would driving down Dupont work? I will relay any advice his way.

Hey guys, a quick question on behalf of my brother. He is a transplanted suburbanite, so public transit is out of the question.

If public transit is out of the question perhaps he should return to the suburbs? If he wants to be urban he needs to 'get with the programme' and driving between urban locations is simply silly. In fact, many suburbanites use public transit too, though a car is probably a necessity too.

Annette/Dupont bus to St George Stn, or Runnymede bus to Bloor subway takes about 40 minutes tops to his work. By car, believe it or not, it takes longer plus you pay for parking. Stupid.

By car, after you're past nightmare bottleneck at Dupont and Lansdowne to Dundas/Weston Rd/Annette area, it's quite smooth along Annette, Dupont, Ossington, Harbord.

This forum is full of transplanted suburbanites (and even exurbanites), and it's pretty clear that almost all of them use public transit.

Your brother has an extremely easy commute by transit. During rush hour, there is a bus every 3-4 mins on Runnymede to Runnymede Station, and Bay and College is a short walk from either Queen's Park or College stations. Some people dream of having a transit commute that convenient.

This forum is full of transplanted suburbanites (and even exurbanites), and it's pretty clear that almost all of them use public transit.

Your brother has an extremely easy commute by transit. During rush hour, there is a bus every 3-4 mins on Runnymede to Runnymede Station, and Bay and College is a short walk from either Queen's Park or College stations. Some people dream of having a transit commute that convenient.
Yep, deep suburbanite here, and I don't even own a car at all. Suits me fine.

And yes, smack your brother over the head if he refuses to take public transit. There's a bus on Runnymede more like once every minute during rush hour (last time I checked,) and from there it's less than half an hour to College station. In total, less than 40 minutes of commuting.

no public transport, eh?

He should bike along Davenport Rd, it turns on to Bay street after Avenue Rd.

Just to be fair, I'll assume he has a justifiable reason to drive, so this kind of pile-on is unfair. (And yes, Dupont's a--maybe *the*--reasonable alternative, though not without its bottlenecks.)

Just to be fair, I'll assume he has a justifiable reason to drive, so this kind of pile-on is unfair. (And yes, Dupont's a--maybe *the*--reasonable alternative, though not without its bottlenecks.)

The original question said "He is a transplanted suburbanite, so public transit is out of the question." I do not think that having been traumatised by suburban living is really an excuse to drive. :)

I get the feeling that this thread was a trick just to get a reaction out of us...

take dupont all the way until you hit davenport make a right and davenport, then drive down davenport unti you get the bay as it kind of branches off.....then take bay down and he should be there in no time.....i guarantee this will be the quickest way into the city

Go west along Bloor until you hit the 427 then go south to the QEW then go East through to the Gardiner. Exit at Yonge/Bay/York and take Bay to your destination.

You may also want to try the 407.

what he'll actually want to try is - backtrack and get on the gardiner at S. Kingsway.. then exit Jarvis, go north to come in the back door.

a few more clicks on the car, but i find sitting on the gardiner slightly less frustrating than sitting at red lights or behind street cars first thing in the morning.
and scutting up and down jarvis is usually worth the drive getting to it in my experiece.

adma was bang on with the "pile on comment"

LOL at kettal for thinking someone might be trying get a reaction out of "us"

DSC - LOL at you too.

sometimes the self-righteous urbanites on here are enough to drive me crazy.

Can’t someone just asked a question with out getting dumped on??

Can’t you have a debate without the “I’m urban so I’m right†attitude all the time??

I am genuinely curious... Why did your brother chose to move from the suburbs to Annette/Runnymede?
(I would have thought that most people trade away a larger house/lot etc. for an easier commute which includes avoiding sitting in traffic in a car...) Access to the subway is the chief reason we chose to live in pretty much the same location.
AmJ

Back