News   Jul 15, 2024
 458     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 567     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Coffee House Blues? Your fave java joint please:

PukeGreen: Those are my fave favourites too (although I live in the area as well). There's really no excuse when I see people walking around with Tim's, Starbuck's, etc. in St. Lawrence/Corktown area.

West of Bloor/Keele... is Bloor/Jane, where you'll find the very fine Coffee Tree.

In the general area albeit a bit west, is my new favourite coffee joint: Lou's at Annette and Runnymede.

annettejunctionmarch2008pictures109.jpg

If you find yourself outside downtown Toronto in the west end, try Dimpflmeier. The coffee is great and because it's a bakery, their selection of pastries and breads goes well with the coffee.
I can second this. This area is awesome for many things. The Blue Danube (Hungarian delicatessen), European Meats, a cheese place. All within a few blocks of eachother.

Dimpflmeier bakery is a 10 minute walk max from Kipling station, on Advance road.

10 minute, only? (Maybe now that most of the snow's melted, and at my own speedy pace; but, still--psychologically, it feels a lot longer and bleaker around there...)

But what's the atmosphere like? Some of us like funky relaxed places to hang out for coffee and sweets. Plus without a car, how do I get there?

They have the German theme going on. There's typically some German folk music playing, the cafe section has a glassed area with tables, and the recent darker addition with a mural of Pope Benedict drinking coffee in a field for some reason. They also have antique coffee machines on display, and white Christmas lights inside that they never take down. I think the atmosphere is very respectable. Tymek is also nearby, and they have some good pickles.

Keele and Bloor could use some sort of coffee chain--either Sbux or Timmie's. I wish that gas station would disappear...aka be redeveloped.

Dundas St West in the Junction proper needs more time to mature. The artists and local coffee joints (Croma etc) will be established before Starbuck's moves in. Maybe Sbux will take a corner spot near Axis or even at Keele and Dundas? But it'll probably be after 2012.

... on another note, would Junctionites freak out if Starbucks moved into the neighbourhood?

There's still a lot of retail space not being utilized, so even if some chains came it, there's still a lot of retail space unused. Plus, if it got rid of Galaxy Donuts or the Money Mart at Keele and Dundas, then all the better. Urbandreamer is right that it won't happen too soon.

There is a Starbucks in the Junction, but it's on St. Clair. It's part of a suburban style plaza, but totally pedestrian friendly, having the spot facing St. Clair. It also has a patio.

It's funny, when the Shoppers Drug Mart moved, everyone in the Junction thought there would be a Tim Hortons, sadly it's still an empty spot. You're right Starbucks isn't brave enough to open in the Junction... I can't wait for Crema to open.

Keele and Bloor could use some sort of coffee chain--either Sbux or Timmie's. I wish that gas station would disappear...aka be redeveloped.

Have you ever been to the "lunch box" at keele and bloor? amazing coffee!

There's still a lot of retail space not being utilized, so even if some chains came it, there's still a lot of retail space unused. Plus, if it got rid of Galaxy Donuts or the Money Mart at Keele and Dundas, then all the better. Urbandreamer is right that it won't happen too soon.

There is a Starbucks in the Junction, but it's on St. Clair. It's part of a suburban style plaza, but totally pedestrian friendly, having the spot facing St. Clair. It also has a patio.

ah that's right, by CIBC, right? I never noticed their patio.

Back