News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 650     0 

CNE Air Show

Roy G Biv

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why do they let the planes fly over the city, and not restrict them to the lake?

This is flirting with disaster.

What a dumb show and concept.

I've been hearing jets whiz around Downtown for the past 2 days. I wouldn't say it bothers me too much, but it can get annoying if they make a couple rounds.

But I don't see why they should go over the lake instead of the city. I mean, the point is for people to see it, right?

While it is fun to watch them, and I don't mind the noise a few days a year, I do have a concern that one or more will fall from the sky and land on someone - and it would hurt!

Most practice and actual demonstrations are done over the lake or an airfield. Flying over the city is usually just transit to/from their airfield. It's unlikely you'll see aircraft manoeuvering over the city. That usually happens once a year: on Rememberance Day when the Air Force or some flying club decides to put up a missing man formation.

Why do they let the planes fly over the city, and not restrict them to the lake?

This is flirting with disaster.

What a dumb show and concept.

I was watching a bit of it from my balcony late this morning and I saw one jet at a surprisingly low altitude which, from my POV, approached the MINT towers from the west and flew by on an angle within a hundred feet on the south side of Commerce Court West. I momentarily froze as I was sure that I was about to witness a disaster.
The rehearsals should probably not be over a populated area but I am one of those people who sure does look forward to and enjoys the airshow each year.

Last edited:
Most practice and actual demonstrations are done over the lake or an airfield. Flying over the city is usually just transit to/from their airfield. It's unlikely you'll see aircraft manoeuvering over the city. That usually happens once a year: on Rememberance Day when the Air Force or some flying club decides to put up a missing man formation.

That does not seem to be the case for this airshow. I remember in previous years and have seen this year, the jets regularly flying over the city, often at surprisingly low altitudes.

Dozens of commercial planes fly directly over downtown everyday en route to Pearson, some seemingly not much higher than the Tower. Are you guys concerned about those too? Flying over downtown and doing high risk maneuvers over downtown are two different things. I've watched the airshow from the condos across from Confederation Park before, and I'm pretty sure (as keithz alluded to) they might have to fly over downtown to return to the lake a few times to do their tricks.

Porter Airlines flies over the city too, as well as the airport is close to the high-rises on the waterfront, that's flirting with disaster too! And the air ambulance maneuvers around the downtown high-rises, also flirting with disaster!

Porter Airlines flies over the city too, as well as the airport is close to the high-rises on the waterfront, that's flirting with disaster too! And the air ambulance maneuvers around the downtown high-rises, also flirting with disaster!
I've never seen Porter do high-speed sweeping curves low over the city, with the sound coming from a 90-degree direction from the plane. I saw various stuff walking along Queen downtown yesterday, and there where fighter jets doing turns north of Queen.

There's always risk wtih anything, but I'm surprised that there aren't more attempts to minimize it.

I live by High Park, and at first I thought it was an air raid when I woke up on Thursday.

On Friday I was waking down to Queen's Quay and saw one so close to the condos by the lake that I stopped in my tracks. It was no illusion, the plane was flying incredibly close to the 1st Palace Pier condo. I don't think a comparison with Porter is valid; this is stunt flying and I think it carries a much higher risk.

I'm off on business today, so thankfully I can't hear the actual show.

I agree!

The planes are far too loud and they block my view of the sky when they fly overhead. Not to mention the shadows they create. Lets get rid of this stupid air show. It serves no purpose. Its only kids who get entertained by this crap. Parents should just take their kids to the zoo.

Don't even get me started on the zoo. Why are my tax dollars going to feeding a bunch of animals?

I live by High Park, and at first I thought it was an air raid when I woke up on Thursday.

On Friday I was waking down to Queen's Quay and saw one so close to the condos by the lake that I stopped in my tracks. It was no illusion, the plane was flying incredibly close to the 1st Palace Pier condo. I don't think a comparison with Porter is valid; this is stunt flying and I think it carries a much higher risk.

I'm off on business today, so thankfully I can't hear the actual show.

I'm pretty sure it was just an illusion. Stunt flying over the city or near the city one day a year poses no more of a risk than Porter planes flying over the city all day long every single day of the year. The air ambulance has woken me up a few times why can't they just send the patient's by train? It sucks living a big city with all this noise.

I'm pretty sure it was just an illusion. Stunt flying over the city or near the city one day a year poses no more of a risk than Porter planes flying over the city all day long every single day of the year. The air ambulance has woken me up a few times why can't they just send the patient's by train? It sucks living a big city with all this noise.

The problem is there aiming right at the towers at time and have to pull up in order to clear them. Hate to see if one of those ever have a malfunction...

Back