News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 776     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

CN Milton Logistics Hub

^ Helpful perspective Paul. Thank you for sharing. Wasn't aware of the details of the court aspect so I see your point.

CN presented this to Halton Regional Council on February 12th, 2020.

From the above presentation:

1581625775055.png

1581625806752.png

1581625834554.png

1581625903719.png

Also of note, Milton/Halton Region, planning for 50,000 additional homes in the area.

No population projection is cited, but for this location, that would mean well in excess of 100,000

What are the costs to air quality of not having it? If rail-based cargo can't transfer to trucks for local distribution in a local location, that means more long distance trucking. It seems to me that that would make the emissions and particulates issues worse, not better, albeit more spread out and less of a direct impact to Milton.

Given the report is dated January 27, 2020 which was before the blockades started going up, I wonder to what extent it will impact the Minister's decision, which according to the above is due before June 25, 2020.

What are the costs to air quality of not having it? If rail-based cargo can't transfer to trucks for local distribution in a local location, that means more long distance trucking. It seems to me that that would make the emissions and particulates issues worse, not better, albeit more spread out and less of a direct impact to Milton.

Have a look at Section 16 of the EA report. The panel rejected arguments that CN might be able to get by with just its Brampton Intermodal Terminal for another decade. It also speaks to potential mitigation measures such as use of Electric vehicles, Tier IV diesels, etc.

When one looks at all the logistics facilities in the Milton area, it’s clear that an intermodal terminal sited further away is not desirable, for the reasons you suggest. One wonders why CN chose to acquire land so far south, in the midst of the residential development, when much of the warehousing is north of the 401. Perhaps access to QEW was the motive. However, that’s water under the bridge at this point.

- Paul

For a long time, I have felt that there is a need for a terminal in the London area. There is so much business in Southwestern Ontario, but to get to a terminal, you either have to slog it out on the 401 to get to Brampton or Vaughan, or cross the border to Detroit. It shows with how many trucks are on the 401 in that stretch.

London would be an ideal area too as there is lots of open land, good access to roads and CN and CP's lines get close together so, at least initially, a terminal could be built with access to both railways and run as a hook and haul type operation.

If ever there were a good place for a pilot application for e-vehicles, this would be it. I wonder what proportion of containers flowing through this terminal are bound to/from a location that’s within e-vehicle range.
Even a token demonstration project might dull some of the objections.

- Paul

Sadly, the actions of CN's CEO don't inspire confidence in the future of intermodal. At the rate AV adoption is going, this terminal might not last 10 years in service. In fact, in 10-20 years, there might not even be rail freight in Ontario.

Last edited:
Sadly, the actions of CN's CEO don't inspire confidence in the future of intermodal. At the rate AV adoption is going, this terminal might not last 10 years in service. In fact, in 10-20 years, there might not even be rail freight in Ontario.

lol. Not going to happen.

That is far too extreme a statement. For one moment, if we assumed fully autonomous trucks were the norm in 2 decades time; they still wouldn't be competitive for most long-haul freight.

A 16M truck is not remotely competitive with a 2km train for what it can move.

lol. Not going to happen.

Not sure which thing your referencing here.

But for clarity, I think autonomous trucks will be here in 20 years time, perhaps sooner, though not instantly the norm, of course.

But I would also agree they are not a threat to derail long-haul freight rail whatsover.

What they may do is poach some shortline business, and some 'last mile' traffic etc.

Back