News   Apr 22, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 657     0 

Closing - Next Steps

Rocky

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just had my PDI and emailed my lawyers Tarion certification of completion and possession document for my condo due to for interim occupancy in less than a month. Building is probably looking to register in October or even later who knows (I am on higher floors). What are the next steps, haven't heard back from my lawyer yet but am wondering how long should i wait before following up with him again

1. At what point does the builder provide statement of adjustments ?
2. Prior to Interim Occupancy - should i make arrangements to show proof that mortgage has been arranged
3. Any other items i should prepare while i approach interim occupancy in 3 weeks.
4. Should i be worried if my lawyer slacks in communication ?

All suggestions and information is much welcome.

Thanks

Just had my PDI and emailed my lawyers Tarion certification of completion and possession document for my condo due to for interim occupancy in less than a month. Building is probably looking to register in October or even later who knows (I am on higher floors). What are the next steps, haven't heard back from my lawyer yet but am wondering how long should i wait before following up with him again

1. At what point does the builder provide statement of adjustments ?

Normally at closing and it will be provided directly to your lawyer.

2. Prior to Interim Occupancy - should i make arrangements to show proof that mortgage has been arranged

Not normally necessary, but it is in your own best interest to lock in a rate for as long as possible since they are increasing. It doesn't hurt to get approval setup long in advance too as closing can happen surprisingly quickly and they will not wait for your schedule that week.

3. Any other items i should prepare while i approach interim occupancy in 3 weeks.

Consider hiring a home inspector (some give discounts for condos) before moving in and submit those to the builder quickly. Submit to Tarion closer to the time limit as you may find other additions.

Look in all the places you didn't during the PDI. That includes behind your fridge, under the stove, behind the washer/dryer. They won't be beautifully painted, but the drywall shouldn't have giant random holes in it either.

Expect to clean a lot. Some builders are better than others, but you can still expect drywall dust to appear from the strangest places the instant you walk into the place.

Now you can move in (maybe).

My last purchase, the workmen were still installing a new hardwood floor (PDI showed it as severely damaged) while my movers were bringing in furniture. Floor work ran late and I didn't get a notification because I was not yet an occupant. I regretted not waiting a couple of days prior to moving in (rushed because I was living in a hotel at the time).

If you have numerous issues, expect workers to be in your place frequently, and for them to be clumsy. Do not leave any items close to work sites. Expect to clean when the workers leave. Nearly every problem will be inspected prior to the fix and after the fix. Repairs may take multiple steps. If you have 10 issues on your list, you may get as many as 40 visits.

4. Should i be worried if my lawyer slacks in communication ?

Usually not. There really isn't any involvement from them until closing unless something is wrong. They will be more active a week before closing. Make sure to forward them any communications you receive from the builder about when closing is to occur. Get them involved if you don't think you got what you paid for (bought a locker but didn't get a key, paid for hardwood but received carpet).

Last edited:
Normally at closing and it will be provided directly to your lawyer.

Not normally necessary, but it is in your own best interest to lock in a rate for as long as possible since they are increasing. It doesn't hurt to get approval setup long in advance too as closing can happen surprisingly quickly and they will not wait for your schedule that week.

Consider hiring a home inspector (some give discounts for condos) before moving in and submit those to the builder quickly. Submit to Tarion closer to the time limit as you may find other additions.

Look in all the places you didn't during the PDI. That includes behind your fridge, under the stove, behind the washer/dryer. They won't be beautifully painted, but the drywall shouldn't have giant random holes in it either.

Expect to clean a lot. Some builders are better than others, but you can still expect drywall dust to appear from the strangest places the instant you walk into the place.

Now you can move in (maybe).

My last purchase, the workmen were still installing a new hardwood floor (PDI showed it as severely damaged) while my movers were bringing in furniture. Floor work ran late and I didn't get a notification because I was not yet an occupant. I regretted not waiting a couple of days prior to moving in (rushed because I was living in a hotel at the time).

If you have numerous issues, expect workers to be in your place frequently, and for them to be clumsy. Do not leave any items close to work sites. Expect to clean when the workers leave. Nearly every problem will be inspected prior to the fix and after the fix. Repairs may take multiple steps. If you have 10 issues on your list, you may get as many as 40 visits.

Usually not. There really isn't any involvement from them until closing unless something is wrong. They will be more active a week before closing. Make sure to forward them any communications you receive from the builder about when closing is to occur. Get them involved if you don't think you got what you paid for (bought a locker but didn't get a key, paid for hardwood but received carpet).

Thanks a million for such a detailed response. This clarifies things a lot and most certainly helps.

Much appreciated rbt !

Back