News   Apr 23, 2024
 49     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 311     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

"Classy" Chinese food - does it exist?

I've been once. It was definitely an eating experience.

But no, doesn't go too high on my 'classy' meter. :)

I may be letting some cultural biases and sensibilities colour my opinion of what's classy though. For example. I can't help but think that even outdoor bistro style French or Italian food is classy even though it's pretty much "shorts and t-shirt sitting on cast iron iron patio furniture."

That I'm afraid is just cultural bias because you are stuck on what classy dining should be like based on your personal experience. People more or less have certain stereotypes rooted in their minds. For example, French and Japanese are more upscale.

I am not blaming you because plenty of Asians do that too. To me the food still determines to a large extent if the place is classy or not. I have been to plenty of French or Italian where the settings are pretentious enough yet with disappointing food. You can have a burger in the Queen's sitting room with seven servants waiting and it is still just a burger and not fine dining.

I am not saying Crown Prince is upscale but your words seem to indicate high levels of bias before going (being used to the western style).

I have found that Lee Chen near Yonge and Bloor is actually quite good in terms of quality of food, ambiance and cleanliness of the restaurant and the washrooms.

I have found that Lee Chen near Yonge and Bloor is actually quite good in terms of quality of food, ambiance and cleanliness of the restaurant and the washrooms.

They do a much better job catering to a wider/more diverse clientele. Too many Markham restaurants seem to only want HK immigrant customers and are NOT jooksing or non-Chinese friendly. These are places which still have two menus - one bilingual and another only in Chinese. Racist probably isn't the right term since there are many people of (full) Chinese descent who cannot read the language. Culturist?

I went there once. The ambiance is nice, I wish all Chinese restaurants can work toward that standard, but the food is mediocre I would say. It serves General Tso Chicken, even General Tso shrimp! Plus chicken & broccoli/ Beef & Broccoli. And the "sweet and sour shrimp" is gross. I was rather disappointed in seeing those and don't know why they have to offer those ridiculously lame dishes. It is a Chinese version of "Joey's" I am afraid. The price is not bad and location great, but it is a Chinese restaurants which primarily targets western clients.

These are places which still have two menus - one bilingual and another only in Chinese.

many of them do that, probably because what's offered in the Chinese menu won't be interested to 99.9% of western customers. Pork intestines in hot sauce, chicken feet, steamed whole fish, sautéed kidney? interested? For example, this is one of the most popular Chinese dishes in Sichuan restaurants. I have never seen any non-Chinese customers ever ordering it (it is fish). The restaurant owners are not "culturist". They simply know their customers.

%E9%BA%BB%E8%BE%A3%E6%B0%B4%E7%85%AE%E9%B1%BC%E7%9A%84%E5%81%9A%E6%B3%956.jpg

many of them do that, probably because what's offered in the Chinese menu won't be interested to 99.9% of western customers. Pork intestines in hot sauce, chicken feet, steamed whole fish, sautéed kidney? interested? For example, this is one of the most popular Chinese dishes in Sichuan restaurants. I have never seen any non-Chinese customers ever ordering it (it is fish). The restaurant owners are not "culturist". They simply know their customers.

%E9%BA%BB%E8%BE%A3%E6%B0%B4%E7%85%AE%E9%B1%BC%E7%9A%84%E5%81%9A%E6%B3%956.jpg

Okay, so a jook sing probably won't eat pig intestines either, but we do like steamed fish. They aren't catering to jook sing at all. As for Lee Chen, I see many Asians eating there too. My parents like the place. Maybe not as much as restaurants up in Markham, but they would never dismiss it as a place for "gwai lo." Wait, am I allowed to say gwai lo here? And they offer brown rice, something Markham restaurants don't do.

Okay, so a jook sing probably won't eat pig intestines either, but we do like steamed fish. They aren't catering to jook sing at all. As for Lee Chen, I see many Asians eating there too. My parents like the place. Maybe not as much as restaurants up in Markham, but they would never dismiss it as a place for "gwai lo." Wait, am I allowed to say gwai lo here? And they offer brown rice, something Markham restaurants don't do.

I think very few Chinese restaurants consider the dietary preference of "jook sings". They are stuck in the middle and are a small minority. I doubt restaurant owners bother pleasing them.
Asians eating at such restaurants because 1) they provide a better ambiance so it is not embarrassing to bring a guest to it 2) they don't want to drive and these are as good as it gets. I agree this place is not completely westernized. In general it is acceptable but hardly "good".

I think very few Chinese restaurants consider the dietary preference of "jook sings". They are stuck in the middle and are a small minority. I doubt restaurant owners bother pleasing them.
Asians eating at such restaurants because 1) they provide a better ambiance so it is not embarrassing to bring a guest to it 2) they don't want to drive and these are as good as it gets. I agree this place is not completely westernized. In general it is acceptable but hardly "good".

The population is growing as more and more of us have kids. We can't rely on our parents to translate menus. Those of us who are Gen X have parents who are in their late 60s and 70s. Millennials' parents are in their 50s and 60s. They aren't going to be around forever. And I include those who came before they were teenagers as jook sings. How are we supposed to preserve parts of our culture. Sure, it'll be diluted - it already is - but it can't completely disappear. I think steamed fish goes well with non-rice grains like farro anyway :)

Back