News   Jun 26, 2024
 38     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

City's Future Up in the Air - Toronto has chosen one path...still hope for Vancouver

Pep'rJack

Member Bio
Reaction score
A City's Future Up in the Air

Toronto has chosen one path, but there is still hope for Vancouver to be something else

by Pete McMartin, Vancouver Sun, June 3, 2010

When a British Columbian flies east to Ontario, his or her first inkling that one is entering a different country is the sight of Toronto from the air.

Unlike Vancouver, where the city shows the bumps and folds of the land under it, and where one feels the claustrophobia of a city hemmed in between the mountains and the sea, Toronto from the air looks as flat as a bedsheet. It sprawls outward from the Lake Ontario shore in whichever direction it pleases, eating away at the pretty checkerboard of farms and woodlots at its edges. Here and there are big dense islands of highrises, dozens and dozens of them, that rise above the plain of the city like seamounts from the ocean floor. But Toronto is a horizontal city, not a vertical one, and it spreads outward forever. It does so, one senses, because it so wishes. There is a hubris to the way Toronto builds itself. If Vancouver is about the limits of growth - and where else would the modern environmental movement be born than in a city where its geography constantly reminds it of its limits? -then Toronto is about the reach of insatiable appetite. That reach appears to be limitless, even from the window seat of a plane 20,000 feet up in the air. It inspires, I have to admit, awe.

It had been, what? - three years between visits? Things had changed in that time and not changed. People still drove the freeways like complete dill-holes. The morning rush hours were still impossible (having come to a complete stop on a six-lane freeway at 6:30 a.m. on a Tuesday morning 50 kilometres outside the city). The city's dynamism, sophistication and sheer size of its economy still dwarfed Vancouver's. It was still a great city, despite the cliche that the rest of Canada reserves a special place in its heartburn for it. I like Toronto. Most people I know do.

But something had changed. Some of it was intangible and some of it was, literally, concrete.

It was fraying at the edges, for one thing. A growing network of freeways rung the city, and in between them, and feeding off them, was a huge belt of industrial parks, transmission lines, office towers, airports, ersatz golf courses, strip malls and giant swaths of new suburban tract housing that were as uniform as they were ugly. These subdivisions went on and on, cheek by jowl, with a desolate sameness, on a slow, inexorable march toward the outlying farmland.

These subdivisions are now beginning to reach the edges of the province's officially protected greenbelt. What was once the verdant but far-off hinterland of the beautiful Ontario countryside will eventually be leapfrogged by the city and then enclosed by it. There, the farms and forests in it will be preserved as a kind of bucolic throwback, a pretty weekend backdrop for urbanite bike riders pedalling $2,000 carbon fibre 10-speeds.

More than just greenery has disappeared, I think. I have family who live inside the city, in the greenbelt and in the countryside 100 kilometres outside of Toronto, and they all watch the city's growth with the same sense of fearful resignation. Where once Toronto was the shining hope for a better future, the model of the well-run city that all cities only hoped to be, is now merely what all big North American cities have become - a metastasizing cancer. It eats away at the public conscience as it does farmland.

Not that Toronto has a copyright on ravenous growth. On the return flight home, the view out the plane's window as we were beginning our descent was greener, wetter but with that same sense of momentum to the urban landscape. Things in the valley were filling in, led by a vanguard of hobby farms and stand-alone subdivisions.

I have in the last few years begun to wonder how long before I still believe this to be a wonderful place to live. The same fearful resignation my relatives feel in Ontario have begun to nag at me here. Projections call for three million people in the Metro Vancouver area by 2031, and from the window seat of a plane coming home, I could not help but think, we have arrived at a watershed. There is a decision to be made.

Will we be Toronto, or some new version of the city?

pmcmartin@vancouversun.com

Last edited:
A growing network of freeways rung the city, and in between them, and feeding off them, was a huge belt of industrial parks, transmission lines, office towers, airports, ersatz golf courses, strip malls and giant swaths of new suburban tract housing that were as uniform as they were ugly.

In the three years between his visits, what miraculous new network of freeways have appeared in the city? I can't think of a single one. The last one was the 407 and it's been here what, at least 10 years now?

it took me a while to catch the meaning of the headline "City's Future Up in the Air"

This is another swipe at Toronto for no good reason. It's flat because the land is flat. It's growing because it's where people choose to settle. It has bad traffic because of a high population and little funding for public transit. It is not sprawling uncontrollably; it is arguably the most rapidly intensifying city in North America judging by the number of new highrises within city limits. It is not what all big North American cities are; it is very different in many ways. Most notably, people are moving into the city core rather than escaping to the suburbs. And if the author doesn't like the suburbs he sees from the air, he should be reminded that they are not, in fact, Toronto at all. And those ugly industrial parks? They employ people and fuel the economy.

I live in the city and I have never in my life had such a fine group of fun, interesting neighbours who know each other and watch out for one another. They are from diverse backgrounds, work in interesting jobs and participate in many fantastic things around the city that most of the time I never knew existed. My neighbourhood is quiet, with young families, backyard barbeques taking place under huge trees -- and yet in a short cab ride I can be at a humming nightclub rammed with beautiful people. Tonight I'm going to meet friends after work for drinks at an outdoor patio, then I'll walk to the ballgame.

The author can keep his postcard-perfect photos of Vancouver. I wouldn't live anywhere else but here.

I really didn't take from the article that the author was bashing Toronto. Doesn't he state quite openly that he likes it here and has family here?

I really didn't take from the article that the author was bashing Toronto. Doesn't he state quite openly that he likes it here and has family here?

Would you qualify it as a positive article about Toronto? Let's not be naive.

This is a typically negative article just like so many others that come from the rest of Canada. Just because he throws a line in about liking Toronto or having family here (who doesn't?) doesn't mean he's not bashing it. I suggest you read it again and tally up the positives versus the negatives.

So his article isn't dripping with obsequious praise for Toronto. So he doesn't love it in the special way you do. So he doesn't appreciate the rare unique opportunity you have to live in a quiet street and cab it to club it. Big deal. An outsider will never relate to the city in the way you do, the way that you will never relate to 'postcard perfect' Vancouver the way he does. This doesn't mean an outsider's less than glowing impressions are always to be taken as gratuitous mindless 'attacks'. Toronto isn't perfect, by a long shot, and the issues he raises are serious and legitimate ones that mindless boosterism or defensive insecurity will do little to address. They are also issues that he is concerned about for his own city, more to the point.

My point is that this article is, despite its sprinklings of praise, predominantly negative. I've read many like this; they are always negative. In fact I can't remember a single one I've read that's predominantly positive towards Toronto, but would relish the opportunity to stand corrected on this.

To me, it's another example of petty, small-minded regional thinking that plagues this country. Eventually, one loses patience with hearing this kind of thing. I'll admit, I may have overreacted to this particular article, but this negative theme is always there when you hear other regions write about Toronto. I think it's unfair, counterproductive and totally unneccesary.

I think you are naive if you think this guy intends this article to be anything other than another shot at Toronto. He may not even know he's doing it, but he is. That's what his readers want to hear. It's part of the culture of this country. But I for one am sick of it. You might not see through his thin veil of concern for the future of Vancouver, but I do.

'... thin veil'?? What? Good grief, you are bordering on paranoia!

It is only a veiled attack if the issues raised are ridiculous... and in this case they are NOT. Toronto and GTA does suffer unbearable gridlock. The region is being destroyed by suburban sprawl and urban blight. We are experiencing rampant growth will little control and little concern for the environment, the public realm, public infrastructure including mass transit, and all kinds of other problems. Who would dare to argue otherwise, with any credibility? These are the things that outsiders do see, and things that are impressed upon others. The hipster bars and overpriced 'cool' restaurants of downtown are just a tiny part of the overall reality of Toronto, and things that can be found in abundance in other cities like Vancouver anyway. What does make a city great and set it apart is how it handles the ugly issues raised, the true realities of enormous growth that Toronto has come to represent, rightly or wrongly.... and this is a legitimate discussion to have.

We have to have enough perspective to understand the difference between some hick yahoo that knows nothing about urban life taking a mindless pot-shot at the city, or some urban snob from Montreal or Vancouver determined to hate Toronto for baseless reasons and an outsider making some legitimate observations, no matter how casual, about a place that they profess to at least like. I don't find this insulting at all.

Last edited:
The criticisms in this article are legitimate, but they don't have anything much to do with the character of the two cities or their governments. The difference in urban planing is mostly due to geography. Vancouver is surrounded by water on three sides, and you hit mountains and wilderness parks if you go much further. Toronto on three sides is surrounded by flat rolling fields that present no real barrier to development.

The author's biggest criticism, how much Toronto sprawls, doesn't make sense. Toronto is much denser than Vancouver. In fact, it's the densest urban area in Canada.

^ sure they make sense when you consider that to him "Toronto" is the GTA in the same way that his "Vancouver" probably includes the entire GVA.

'... thin veil'?? What? Good grief, you are bordering on paranoia!

It is only a veiled attack if the issues raised are ridiculous... and in this case they are NOT. Toronto and GTA does suffer unbearable gridlock. The region is being destroyed by suburban sprawl and urban blight. We are experiencing rampant growth will little control and little concern for the environment, the public realm, public infrastructure including mass transit, and all kinds of other problems. Who would dare to argue otherwise, with any credibility?

Oh, please, Chicken Little. Lay off the hyperbole. It's not as bad as all that. Show me a city of similar scale that does things any better overall, including crime rates. This place is pretty damn good and all people seem to do is bitch about it. It's so tired.

Well, of course there is hubris in the way Toronto sprawls, just as there is hubris in the way Vancouver is growing in an area with proportionally less buildable land, and not seismically stable land at that. I mean, if you really wanted to argue, one can probably say that the impact of the growth in GTA to Southern Ontario is probably less than say, GVRD in Lower Mainland.

AoD

Oh, please, Chicken Little. Lay off the hyperbole. It's not as bad as all that. Show me a city of similar scale that does things any better overall, including crime rates. This place is pretty damn good and all people seem to do is bitch about it. It's so tired.

Rather be a chicken than an ostrich... and spare us the empty boosterism. You're sort of preaching to the choir here, unless you haven't noticed, which is just plain dullsville.

Back