News   Jul 11, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 518     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 688     0 

City's Future Up in the Air - Toronto has chosen one path...still hope for Vancouver

Second only to NYC? Seems kind of unbelievable.
If you look in the notes, it says "The building counts shown in the list don't necessarily represent a fully comprehensive total for each city or country. They represent the number tracked by our editors so far, which may not be compete for each city.". So I expect it biases towards English-speaking North American cities.

If you look in the notes, it says "The building counts shown in the list don't necessarily represent a fully comprehensive total for each city or country. They represent the number tracked by our editors so far, which may not be compete for each city.". So I expect it biases towards English-speaking North American cities.

Yes I did see that. But even if facts aren't quite straight about Asia, to think that we're second to NYC even in the western world is pretty crazy.

It's hardly unbelievable if you go for a drive in suburban Toronto; there's almost always a high-rise or cluster of high-rises somewhere nearby. Since we're a metropolis that had a sort of coming of age boom in the postwar period with huge immigration, we built a lot of high-rises because it was economical at the time and onward.

Yes I did see that. But even if facts aren't quite straight about Asia, to think that we're second to NYC even in the western world is pretty crazy.
Western English speaking world. Where else is there? England? Australia? They don't go into the big condo thing as much. There's only 3 or 4 US cities that are larger... and I don't think any are as condo-crazy as Toronto or New York City, off-hand.

Western English speaking world. Where else is there? England? Australia? They don't go into the big condo thing as much. There's only 3 or 4 US cities that are larger... and I don't think any are as condo-crazy as Toronto or New York City, off-hand.

I'm confident we have all of Europe beaten in the high-rise department in the Western world. It may be biased towards English speaking cities, but there bilingual (Spanish/English) people are quite common, so the numbers might not be that skewed. Perhaps a couple of Latin American cities could top our numbers but I wouldn't be so sure.

IIRC, SSP also counts whole blocks of sometimes 5-10 towers in HK as one entry, and doesn't include most of the cookie-cutter housing estates, so that skews the numbers significantly.

Vaughan isn't sprawling into the Greenbelt.

Not yet, but it is formally attempting to do so. Their recently released official plan proposes to convert about 1500 hectares of protected land on the Oak Ridges Moraine into development. This land is conveniently located along Highway 400 north of Wonderland.

1500 hectares is equal in size to 4 concession blocks, or the area bounded by Yonge to Bathurst, Queen to Lawrence.

The green belt is such a political tool, such a joke. It's really designed to enrich property developers. Even those with land stuck in today's green belt will one day thank today's gov't for increasing their wealth, because we all know one day--2060, 2210?--these lands will be built on too.

Exit onto the 401 from Aberfoyle and it says "entering the greenbelt." Three minutes later it says "welcome to Milton."

As for the topic at hand--it's just a genuine article in awe of the GTA's size. I always feel that "buzz" flying in from Vancouver as well. It helps if you grew up in a smaller community to understand the writer's perspective. I suppose it's like arriving back to Toronto from NYC--Toronto seems like such a frontier town by comparison. The author is not criticizing Toronto; rather, just an honest take on what all of us really see.... Sprawl. Towers. Industrial sprawl. Tons of roads have been built during the past 3 years, not all 10 lane highways of course, but industrial roads, suburban housing tracts etc do add up. The Vancouver Province is a a provincial newspaper--what else would you expect for a city half the size of Toronto and owned by those provincial fools from Winnipeg....?

Last edited:
Not yet, but it is formally attempting to do so. Their recently released official plan proposes to convert about 1500 hectares of protected land on the Oak Ridges Moraine into development. This land is conveniently located along Highway 400 north of Wonderland.

1500 hectares is equal in size to 4 concession blocks, or the area bounded by Yonge to Bathurst, Queen to Lawrence.

I don't have the news reference at hand, but hasn't Vaughan town council just approved the 1500 hectares for development? By a small majority, sometime in the last month? And there was the usual speculation about councillors' probable links with the developers.

I recall there was some attempt at justifications along the lines of "Well, you know, there are still X thousand hectares of Greenbelt remaining..." We Ontarians are stuck in some kind of time warp and denial about our province's urban development practises, constantly scoring points off each other "Greenie vs. Developer"--but the damage to our living environment just continues, along with the usual inane self-congratulation about this or that progressive element of policy.

Does anybody approving and building these stupid suburban developments, all the while vaunting their fiscal discipline and free market orientation, even think about, e.g., what the health costs are of even just a 5%/decade increase in prevalence of medical conditions brought on by increasing airborne pollution from all sources (particulate, chemical, etc.)? And what about the intangibles of a population increasingly out of contact with a natural environment, thus unable to recognize any interest other than those of their daily routines? Are the affected populations exclusively within the Vaughan municipal boundaries, so that those paragons of responsible municipal management can simply say "Go live elsewhere, if you don't like it here"?

The whole thing is an irrational mess. (O.K., I've vented my frustration for today.)

That Official Plan still hasn't been approved by the province. If the province approves the OP and allows Vaughan to sprawl into the Greenbelt, then there will be reason to criticize. But that hasn't happened yet.

O.K., thanks for the up-to-date news--I'll just have to try tracking down reliable information before I post, for a change. (Should I suppose the developers can appeal any refusal by the province of the change in the OP to the dreaded OMB?)

O.K., thanks for the up-to-date news--I'll just have to try tracking down reliable information before I post, for a change. (Should I suppose the developers can appeal any refusal by the province of the change in the OP to the dreaded OMB?)
The government can overturn OMB decisions, not the other way around. The OMB isn't the development rubber stamp you seem to think it is.

Last edited:
I'm confident we have all of Europe beaten in the high-rise department in the Western world. It may be biased towards English speaking cities, but there bilingual (Spanish/English) people are quite common, so the numbers might not be that skewed. Perhaps a couple of Latin American cities could top our numbers but I wouldn't be so sure.
I'd think that some Asian cities might outdo us. Seoul for example ... Toronto seems quite lacking in apartment buildings compared to Seoul. At least that's the vibe I get when travelling between the two.

I'd think that some Asian cities might outdo us. Seoul for example ... Toronto seems quite lacking in apartment buildings compared to Seoul. At least that's the vibe I get when travelling between the two.

True, some Asian cities might have more high-rises but are they part of the Western world?

Last edited:

Back