News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 709     0 

Toronto CityPlace: Montage + Neo (Concord Adex, 47 + 16s, KPMB)

But the difference between a quality "hat" and a cheap "hat" is astonishing! A quality hat (ie top of building) is spire--the building form comes to a clean finish and hides the mechanicals perfectly; contrast that to cityplace where they've down a 1/3 hat--terrible.

Oh well in 30 years I can see the need for re-cladding most of the cityplace buildings. It would be nice if cityplace suffered from a vancouver-style "leaky condo syndrome"--a good excuse to bring the building design up to MY standards;)

^ If that happened you could also be assured of most other non-cityplace condo construction coming to a standstill - essentially killing the condo market for a number of years and causing great financial hardship to a lot of homebuyers as well as companies going under and serious economic reprecussions throughout the GTA.

The baby-blue glass used in HVE's earlier phase (taller towers') podiums looked alot friendlier and cute. This dark stuff isn't my favourite, to be honest, but then again, it will match with dark red brick very well. (Whereas baby blue glass matches better with yellow/tan brick.)

Variation is good.

I'm not sold on the darker glass, either; but I am glad the buildings are not identical.

have you seen the "brick" going up on Neo? It is red panels with grooves which emulate the look of brick... but not brick that is laid stagared to the row above/below.
I am not impressed with the first panel that I saw go up last night. Perhaps more of it on the building will make it look better, but.... I'm not holding my breath.
I'll see if I can get a snap shot of it tonight.

The Icon buildings used that and it looks terrible. District Lofts used phoney half or quarter bricks imbeded on a concrete panel and it looks almost as bad.

have you seen the "brick" going up on Neo? It is red panels with grooves which emulate the look of brick... but not brick that is laid stagared to the row above/below.
I am not impressed with the first panel that I saw go up last night. Perhaps more of it on the building will make it look better, but.... I'm not holding my breath.
I'll see if I can get a snap shot of it tonight.

A picture would be appreciated.

I'm not sure why people didn't see this coming. As soon as I saw the initial renderings it was pretty much a given that it wouldn't be 'true' brick being used. My only real concern is with the actual colouring of the material.

You cant really see it too well, but here is a link to the Montage webcam that shows NEO in the foreground
http://www.camcentral.net/directurl/pcl/block24/

Looks like they are working on the 13th floor. I think this one is supposed to go to 16 floors, with a tall Montage in behind it (40 something floors??).

I would have liked to have seen Blue Jay Way extend across Spadina (via an intersection) to link with the back of Neo/Montage.

The "brick" panels appear to be the railings for the balconies, but dont appear to be high enough to be the complete railing. I am guessing that there will be another 2 feet or so of glass put on top of the panel to make the balcony regulated height. Although I dont agree with the fake brick panels, at least it will create a new look for Neo/Montage than that of West One, and N1/N2. Without the red brick, there would have been too much dark grey on the west side of Spadina.

It is hard to see......

To be honest I can bearly make out colour of anything else but agree that its probably the balcony railings.

Back