114     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

City Workers Strike 2009

City Council Approves Agreements

At 6:40pm City Council approved the collective agreements, 21 to 17

Excellent news! The agreement seems fair to both sides, and I'm surprised there was so much negativity towards it.

YES Augimeri
YES Bussin [Chair]
YES Carroll
YES Cho
YES Davis
YES De Baeremaeker
YES Di Giorgio
YES Fletcher
YES Giambrone
YES Grimes
YES Hall
YES Heaps
YES Holyday
YES McConnell
YES Mihevc
YES Miller
YES Pantalone
YES Perks
YES Perruzza
YES Saundercook
YES Vaughan

NO Ainslie
NO Ashton
NO Del Grande
NO Feldman
NO Ford
NO Jenkins
NO Kelly
NO Lee
NO Milczyn
NO Minnan-Wong
NO Moeser
NO Nunziata
NO Ootes
NO Parker
NO Stintz
NO Thompson
NO Walker

Anyone know why Doug Holyday sided with his arch nemesis?

I opposed the deal, that's just my opinion. It's done now.
I have to admit it sure was nice to see Garbage Collectors hard at work late last night shoveling out and around the garbage receptacles. I was on the balcony when they did the one at the corner of my street. From the 24th floor that I live on, the smell all the way up here was unbelievable once they cracked that thing open and started shoveling. I watched them for a while and it was taking them about ten minutes to empty and clean around each garbage receptacle. Today, it was refreshing not to smell rotting garbage everywhere. Now they need to get those trucks out with the power cleaners to hose them all down and the sidewalk area around the receptacles. That's going to be a heck of a job. Not to mention closing down the garbage storage sites and cleaning them up, those poor neighbours who had to live near them.
Surprisingly, walking through Yorkville today there were still receptacles full with garbage and trash laying around them. I wonder how my neighbourhood (Church-Jarvis/Wellesley area) got priority over Yorkville?! My area was being done between about 12:30-1:30am this morning (early Friday AM).

Anyone know why Doug Holyday sided with his arch nemesis?

Two Councillors walked out, and it seems four were missing including the City Councillor for my Ward. I wonder where the heck they were?

A sad day for Toronto tax payers. I'm glad to see the other side of council flexing its muscles though. Maybe we'll even get a fiscally conservative mayor next election!

Perhaps I wouldn't be so against bankable sick days if they only got 5 or 6 like the rest of us. No wait, I'd be still be against them because sick days have a purpose, and it's not to boost your paycheck. The only thing worse than this is showing callous greed during a recession.

Three pro-Miller councillors, Rae, Fillion and Lindsay Luby were not there. Would there faces have been red if the collective agreements didn't pass.

I'm wondering if the union / strike issue could become a major campaign issue in the next mayoral election? Is it conceivable that someone could run a hardline anti-union campaign and capitalize on the sentiment that arose during that last month or so?

and yes indeed, the alleyways and sidewalks and insides of garbage receptacles all need a serious scrub down!

Last edited:
It's over, and fine. However, this trend of the public service existing in a completely different framework to those who pay into it is not sustainable. The pendulum has to swing the other way. While there were no official polls (that I know of), it seemed that a seizable majority of Torontonians did not want this deal to go through. For the record, I am not a fan of people being impoverished, believe it or not. I just don't feel that a group should be able to extract payment from another (which on average makes less) though the mechanisms at the disposal of today's public unions. Currently is seems anything short of a Mike Harris type hotheaded asshole can't stop their march of obtaining more and more proportionately from whom they obtain it. Due to the current structure, true compromise just isn't there.

I hope both sides can stop digging in their heels before it gets really out of hand, if it hasn't all ready.

But really? What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas? Good gravy. Even my most pro-union friends (who are reeeeeealy pro-union) where taken aback by that.

PS - We can pay our property taxes in sick days, right?

Last edited:
Oh, this is adorable. The private sector made it so the world could go broke, because it's the private sector that made all the wealth. Where do you think public money comes from, Seymour? That's right, taxes from your hated private sector. Where do you think your pay cheque comes from? Money from a company which works in the private sector. Sounds to me like you're doing ok off it. OR should we go total Karl Marx and make everything public and live in a utopia? I'm sure that's almost certainly what would happen.

The private sector with their insatiable GREED bankrupted the world economy. Could I be any clearer on that? You think the private sector would hand our benefits, mat leave, sick days out of the goodness of their hearts?? Certainly not. I don't hate the private sector I just do not believe everything (or anything) is cured by simply contracting out to the private sector, That is such an American POV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you CUPE member?!?

No I am not. I also don't think I am better or above than a person who works for solid waste. This is Canada, a first world country, I don't like the general sentiment that garbage workers shouldn't get benefits, fair pay, benefits for cleaning up OUR garbage. It's distressing.

I don't think I am better or above than a person who works for solid waste.

are you telling me you don't derive pleasure in being employably superior to others? how do you feel good about yourself?

I have to admit it sure was nice to see Garbage Collectors hard at work late last night shoveling out and around the garbage receptacles.

I was out for drinks tonight on the patio of Quigley's in the Beaches. A garbage truck pulled up around 10:00 and started emptying a trash bin on Queen. The entire patio started cheering and applauding. It was pretty entertaining. The garbage collector seemed to think so too.

No I am not. I also don't think I am better or above than a person who works for solid waste. This is Canada, a first world country, I don't like the general sentiment that garbage workers shouldn't get benefits, fair pay, benefits for cleaning up OUR garbage. It's distressing.

Okay. I demand the government pay me what the garbage workers earn, plus their generous benefits, pension, etc., all with their job security. It is unfair that I am compensated worse than these workers, even after I invested $40,000 in a degree.

Back