Member Bio
Reaction score
Selling sidewalks hurt pedestrians, critics say

Francine Kopun
Feature Writer
Toronto Star
August 7, 2008

Toronto sidewalks are for sale.

Pusateri's Fine Foods got a chunk for $75,000 – the cost of transforming part of the public sidewalk space on Bay St. at the store's Yorkville location into valet parking for four vehicles.

Now Holt Renfrew is about to get a chunk, too. The 46 parking spaces along Bloor St. between Avenue Rd. and Church St. will be eliminated as part of the $20 million Bloor Street Transformation Project, which calls for granite sidewalks, raised planters, special street lighting and public art. Holt Renfrew, meanwhile, will get a 20-metre lay-by at the front door, room for three cars.

"It's a problem. The sidewalk gets extremely narrow there," says Kathryn Holden, secretary of the Bay Corridor Community Association and a downtown resident who is legally blind. "If someone has a wheelchair or a stroller, that space is all used."

Lay-bys cut into sidewalk space to permit room for vehicles to load and unload or drop off and pick up passengers. Supporters say they improve traffic flow. Critics say they eat into public space, endanger the disabled and do not further the city's commitment to pedestrians and cyclists.

"Lay-bys are designed for cars, not for pedestrians, not for cyclists," says Shawn Tracy, president of the Bay Corridor Community Association. "There are a growing number of them. Once one establishment gets a lay-by others will want them – it sets a precedent."

There are at least 20 lay-bys downtown and the numbers are growing, according to figures from the city. They include the Pantages hotel, the residences of College Park, the Delta Chelsea and the Royal York Hotel. There is one in front of the Harbour Sixty Steakhouse at 60 Harbour St., even though there are large parking lots on either side of the building. The steakhouse has served $60 steaks to the likes of actor Harvey Keitel and former Raptor Charles Oakley.

The argument for one in front of Holt Renfrew was that there is no room to establish a loading zone behind the store, according to Doug Jure, chair of the Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Area.

The redesign of the shopping strip is intended to attract more pedestrians by eliminating the existing street parking and turning it into sidewalk, says Jure. The city is putting up $20 million to finance the improvements, which will then be repaid by businesses from the Bloor-Yorkville area.

Jure said Holt Renfrew is making "a sizeable contribution" to cover the project costs.

An additional lay-by for three taxis will be provided outside the Marriott Hotel.

The lay-by in front of Pusateri's has proven popular with patrons – and with cabbies making U-turns. Taxis headed north regularly swing through the lay-by to change direction and head south. Customers driving south down Bay glide into the lay-by, hand their keys to a valet and return a few minutes later to pull a U-turn and head back north.

"Pusateri's asked for it and they paid for it," says Councillor Kyle Rae (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale). "That's public use, isn't it? They're the public."

The city tries to discourage lay-bys, says Andr̩ Filippetti, manager of traffic planning for Toronto East York District. "Lay-bys are basically a no-no Рthey eat into walking space. Generally we try to avoid putting them in. We look at them on a case-by-case basis."

The city remains responsible for maintaining the property, says Filippetti, including clearing snow.

"I think you have to look at the city as a whole," he said. "There's a lot of them in front of schools. The TTC has lay-bys ... they're everywhere in the city. It's not strictly for hotels or people that can afford it. There has to be a justification from an operations point of view."

I really wonder what Kyle Rae was thinking when he said that.

I'm in a rage about this. I think UT should start writing some nasty letters to Mr. Rae.

3D, do you have template we could use?

Seriously though, this is exactly the opposite way things should be going. Smaller sidewalks? With cars pulling in and out off the sidewalk, it will be impossible for there ever to be a (safe) bike lane here. It's relieving to see the comments in the Star about this, everyone seems to be livid, and for the right reasons.

I could spit.

I wonder if one could do the reverse: buy up road and turn it into sidewalk?

Historically, there was a version of lay-bys that didn't involve the cut into the sidewalk. I'm talking about the yellow signs ['Do Not Park Between Signs'] that some establishments [funeral homes, churches] have to this day. Wouldn't this work?

Kyle sounds like he's tired of his job. Or, the merchants have better access.

I say chill out everyone. The sidewalks are being widened on Bloor between Yonge and Avenue and all on-street parking is being eliminated -a net win for pedestrians.

HR is a big store; if the lay-by is not there, the inevitable vehicles stopped in front for drop-offs and pick-ups will obstruct traffic.

Something the article doesn't mention about these "lay-bys" is that they are horrible for cyclists.

I despise the one in front of Pusateri's on Bay St, where an actual bike lane (not the shared lane further south) sits between traffic and the "lay-by". Almost daily when I go by here, at least one car is hanging out into the bike lane. If not a car, well then the valet parking guys are definitely out in the lane.

Additionally, try convincing the guy sitting in his porsche that he needs to wait for the cyclist to pass before he joins up with traffic or opening his door. Guarenteed that isn't going to happen. How do I know, well thanks to the weekly occurances here, I'm going on raw personal statistics.

The fact that this "lay-by" is going in on Bloor St, a street where putting a bike lane is a no brainer (b/c it will save lives), but yet it never materializes, really really bothers me.

Our city is in trouble if behaviour like this continues.

I say chill out everyone. The sidewalks are being widened on Bloor between Yonge and Avenue and all on-street parking is being eliminated -a net win for pedestrians.

HR is a big store; if the lay-by is not there, the inevitable vehicles stopped in front for drop-offs and pick-ups will obstruct traffic.

Perhaps you're right, but you'd have a difficult time convincing me that it wouldn't be better for the city overall if these things weren't there.

I'm sorry, but HRs problems are their own. They can get their deliveries at off peak hours. I have the feeling much of that argument is smoke and mirrors, and this is more about pleasing their clientèle than shipping access.

Much of my distaste for this is the principle that public space is literally being sold off for the benefit of a very elite few.

I would be interested to know exactly how narrow the sidewalk is going to be...

What elite few? Anyone can be dropped off or picked up by car in front of Holts if they want to go in and have a look around.

For once, I am on Rae's side with this. One of the biggest problems with Bloor St. and Yonge in that area are the damned UPS trucks, taxis and delivery vehicles that permanently choke the curb lane.
How can that benefit motorists or cyclists?

Now some of you are beginning to understand why I am spitting mad: all of these newer buildings - especially any of the towers, like Manulife, should have had 'lay-buy's installed out front when they were designed. Traffic is always hell through those congested corridors.

The building that makes me the angriest is the pink marble on on the south-east side of Church-Bloor. That building is less than 25 years old. Taxis and delivery vehicles constrict Bloor eastbound to 1 lane pretty much all day, every day. It's criminal that planners never insisted these developments allow for this type of temporary parking when they were built.

What elite few? Anyone can be dropped off or picked up by car in front of Holts if they want to go in and have a look around.

While this is technically true, I doubt many people of meager income would choose to browse somewhere they have no hope of buying anything.

From what I've seen, few of the people walking around Holts ever actually leave carrying a hot pink shopping bag with anything in it.

But the bags themselves are quite desirable. I see them carried around town for reasons of ostentatious show - sometimes very much the worse for wear - by people who probably don't shop there regularly, or only did once ( for the bag? ). Obviously, there is an aspirational aspect to window shopping, and browsing through places where the merchandise is attractive but expensive, for many people. Maybe some are scoping things out before they eventually show up, heavily discounted, at Last Call.

From what I've seen, few of the people walking around Holts ever actually leave carrying a hot pink shopping bag with anything in it.

I don't get what the appeal of those bags is. I find a lot men carry them around as well, it looks highly effeminate. I mean, a hot pink Holt's bag hardly screams masculinity. And I never even thought of Holt's as a very trendy brand, not like Gucci or Hermes or anything. It is eternally associated with 40-60year old women with too much money in my mind. Why any 20 year old male would want that, I will never know.

The basement level menswear department is crawling with 20 year old males whenever they have a sale. But, yes, their stuff is fairly conservative.

I've shopped at Holts, on and off, since the early '80s. I bought a couple of pairs of Paul Smith striped socks there - $16 a pair - at their recent sale, and they didn't ask if I was carrying the bona fides of a member of Toronto's elite. My D&G Velveteen Shocker jackets came from their sale a few years ago. I doubt if they'll care whether customers are disgorged from a psychedelic-painted Rolls that screeches to a stop at their lay-by, or whether they arrive by unicycle on the subway, as long as they can pay.

I always throw the pink bags in the recycling as soon as I get home - carrying them around with my workout clothes in seems so declasse.

Back