800     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 695     0 

City fed up with uncoordinated utility work

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City officials intend to refuse a request by Enbridge to rip up chunks of freshly laid sidewalk so 13 gas risers can be replaced.

Meanwhile, an investigation has been ordered into why the gas company failed to complete this infrastructure update before the long-planned road and sidewalk construction along Dundas St. W. was completed — a prime example of uncoordinated work that councillors say is all too common in Toronto.

In recent years, a kilometer-long stretch of Dundas St. W. has spent more time as a construction zone than a roadway, said local councillor Ana Bailão.

Since 2007, there has been streetcar track work, cable line replacement, watermain updates and finally, recent road and sidewalk reconstruction.

“It was finally supposed to be all done in September,” Bailão said.

On Monday, Bailão learned Enbridge had requested permission to drill into chunks of new sidewalk this fall to replace the foot-high pipe risers. A spokesperson with the gas company said that during a routine inspection, some corrosion was spotted.

Denzil Minnan-Wong, chair of the public works committee, said this is yet another example of shoddy planning that leads to over-budget spending, lengthy delays and city roads being ripped up, rebuilt and ripped up again across the city.

“We are told time and time again, over and over again, that things are coordinated and then we find out after the fact, when things go wrong, that they weren’t,” he said, pointing to two high-profile construction flops — St. Clair Ave. W. and the Bloor St. revitalization — that went drastically over budget and took much longer than planned.

Minnan-Wong has asked city staff to investigate the communication breakdown with Enbridge.

Bailão wonders whether the city should create a construction czar or oversight committee to manage these types of projects. But one already exists.

Utility companies and city staff are supposed to coordinate work through the city’s Toronto Public Utilities Coordinating Committee. Members include Toronto Water, Enbridge, Enwave, the TTC, transportation services, and telecommunications companies: Rogers, Bell, Allstream, Cogeco, and Videotron.

The committee meets monthly, in addition to meetings related to specific projects, said Gordon MacMillan, director of design and construction in the technical services department.

The goal is to ensure that if the city rips up the road for maintenance, the utilities go in at the same time if updates are needed.

“Enbridge actually did come in proactively and replaced a lot of infrastructure along Dundas before the roadwork,” said MacMillan. The gas riser wasn’t noticed at the time and “they’ll be spoken to.”

Enbridge spokesperson Chris Meyer said the company tries its best to coordinate with the city, but sometimes it isn’t possible.

“There are cases through our regular monitoring of the distribution system where those things are identified,” she said. This was the case with the risers.

At the moment, Meyer said the pipes do not appear to be an immediate hazard, but Enbridge wants to be proactive about safety.

MacMillan said the city will not be allowing the construction unless it is a health and safety issue or an emergency.

Reconstructed roads are not to be ripped up for five years. On resurfaced roads — where a top layer was shaved off and repaved — the moratorium is three years.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1005064--city-fed-up-with-uncoordinated-utility-work

It's nice to see the City refuse Enbridge permission to rip up newly paved sidewalks on Dundas, but I wonder if the decision only came about because of the negative media. I hope the City implements a consistent ban on non-emergency utility cuts on recently paved streets and sidewalks. It would also be nice to see the City require utilities to repave properly instead of slapping down cheap temporary patches. Maybe the City also needs to replace the management staff who have let our roads and sidewalks deteriorate so badly due to totally uncoordinated utility work. I mean, judged on results Gordon MacMillan is completely useless and should be fired with cause. And while I rant, is Toronto Hydro really not on the coordinating committee or is that just an oversight in the article?

According to the media, there's 13 cuts necessary over a 700 metre length of road. That's 1400 metres of sidewalk. Or about one cut every 100 metres.

If each slab of sidewalk is about 1.4 metres long that's 13 out of 1000 slabs.

Annoying yes, but surely there's going to be some cuts every year for one reason or another. It's not like they are ripping up 50% of the sidewalk ... sounds like 99% will be untouched.

Not seeing the big issue here.

Wasn't there some sort of office that would co-ordinate these sorts of things once upon a time?

According to the media, there's 13 cuts necessary over a 700 metre length of road. That's 1400 metres of sidewalk. Or about one cut every 100 metres.

If each slab of sidewalk is about 1.4 metres long that's 13 out of 1000 slabs.

Annoying yes, but surely there's going to be some cuts every year for one reason or another. It's not like they are ripping up 50% of the sidewalk ... sounds like 99% will be untouched.

Not seeing the big issue here.

It means more construction time and money wasted on paving. Not taking a tough stand on the matter encourages other utilities to cut into newly paved surfaces. People expect perfect new paving surfaces from a long construction project, especially in a city like Toronto that has many bad roads. Perfection is the point of repaving. Anything less encourages even more shoddiness.

Perfect new paving surfaces?

I'm really starting to understand just how prissy Torontonians are!

Exactly. After a road closed for a year, millions of dollars spent on construction, and a finished product that's cut up in various places and with patches that never, ever seem to restore the surface back to complete smoothness, that's what one might expect. "Perfection" may sound prissy, but simple asphalt and concrete paving is, in fact, a perfectable skill. The tough part is making sure no one undermines the perfect new surface. The road surface will then last for a given number of years before requiring work again. At that point, causes of previous issues should be addressed.

Perfection? No one is expecting perfection. There is nothing at all unreasonable with expecting coordination on these types of projects.

Co-ordination would not only save time spent on construction work, it would be of all-over financial benefit to the city to not have its streets disrupted. Not to mention the wear and tear on the nerves of it's residences.
The dilapidated and crappy condition of the streets and sidewalks (on our main roads, yet!) says "incompetent" to residents and visitors alike.

I live on a little side street that has been cut up seven of the twelve summers I've lived here, and completely scraped down to the concrete, partially dug up and repaved, twice. Some of the repairs were utility jobs down the length of it, some were more major than others. But on summer nights (and mornings) the noise gets right into the apartment!

If the Fords want to make a big splash in the right way - they should take on the project of unifying and streamlining all the departments responsible - engineering, permits, permissions, aesthetics, the works - into an efficient, cohesive operation. I wrote the Mayor's office about the issue, but have not yet received a reply.

Last edited:

Prissy to want properly paved sidewalks? Prissy to want all utility work to be completed before a major repaving? Utility cuts are more or less the norm on new Toronto sidewalks. Small example - Roxborough east of Glen had some sidewalk repaving in 2009 and 2010 and there are now asphalt patches all over the place. Pretty much every other major first world city does a better job on its sidewalks than Toronto. Even Montreal manages to get it mostly right. We're talking about basic competence here, not recreating Versailles.

I mean take Yonge downtown, how long are we suppose to expect the assufult to stay, it's been years. It finally looks like things are being fixed up north toward College.

Speaking of the new paving on Dundas, any idea if there are plans to have street trees along that stretch? There look to be square cutouts in the brand new concrete that seem like they're meant to accommodate trees, yet they're all filled in with asphalt! Is that just temporary? I can't imagine why they would fill those gaps in.

I don't mind the repairs (in theory). But I see a lot of projects just sitting around: holes dug, equipment lying around. Sometimes jobs seem to go unfinished for months.

You would think after years and years of doing this (repairing sidewalks & roads) the city would have found a way to bring everyone together and make it work. This is not rocket science, it's just plain and simple neglect. It's a complete waste of time and money. It's so infuriating, that we can't solve these simple problems. Put someone in charge, to co-ordinate these things. All interested parties should be working together, to do all repairs at the same time.

What they did to downtown Yonge street, is totally unacceptable. The payed millions repaving it, using the black granite, to match Dundas Square and in about a years time, they started cutting it all up and replacing it with ash-fault, that left all kinds of ugliness, up and down the street. Why can't they repair it back to the way it was? It's a crazy system that needs to change.

Back