News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

City Adult Learning Centre

Toffee95

Member Bio
Reaction score
If this is the wrong area, feel free to move it... but it is sort of a building and architecture question.

I have wondered about this ever since I moved to Toronto almost a decade ago, and I thought someone here must know.

The City Adult Learning Centre (Adult High School) at 1 Danforth, what did it used to be? It is huge, almost looks like an early community college from the 1960s. I am quite sure it wasn't built for adult learning.

Anyone know its history?

Definitely in the wrong forum. Would belong in the Toronto forums.

As for the building, I am not entirely sure which one it would be. Anyone got a photo of it?

Good question. It's an interesting building. I found a Facebook group which says that the building was Parkview Secondary School until 1983. Otherwise there is not a lot of information online. It's an easy building to miss, as it is substantially set back from the Danforth.

Khristopher:

One.jpg
Two.jpg

Attachments

• One.jpg
    One.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 4,657
  • Two.jpg
    Two.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 2,530
Walked by this building on the weekend. It's a fascinating building -- ambitious, different, compelling. Sadly, it's slowly being left to rot. Some day this site is going to be sold to developers and the building will be bulldozed.
IMG_0417.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    472.4 KB · Views: 1,525
  • IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    572.9 KB · Views: 1,501
  • IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 1,520
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 14,521
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 572
A few more.
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    517.1 KB · Views: 1,534
  • IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 1,953
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    651.8 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    450.8 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    642.6 KB · Views: 637
Thanks! Given how close it is to Broadview Station, redevelopment should rightly occur - though it would be nice to see a portion of the complex restored and preserved for community use.

AoD

If this is the wrong area, feel free to move it... but it is sort of a building and architecture question.

I have wondered about this ever since I moved to Toronto almost a decade ago, and I thought someone here must know.

The City Adult Learning Centre (Adult High School) at 1 Danforth, what did it used to be? It is huge, almost looks like an early community college from the 1960s. I am quite sure it wasn't built for adult learning.

Anyone know its history?
From 1963 to 1973 it was known as Parkway Vocational School, Primarily a trade school for just boys. In 1974 it changed its name to Parkview Secondary and became Co-Ed. It closed down in the early 90's It was known for several construction trades and automotive trades. it had a top of the line cooking/baking commercial kitchen program, shoe repair shop, Printing shop (every aspect from making plates to offset printing as well as letter presses) Drafting shop, masonry/bricklaying shop, Electricians shop, Plumbing shop, Auto body repair and full paint booth shop, Small Engine repair shop, Decorating shop, Carpentry shop, Machine and sheet metal shop, Chemistry classes, Combination Auditorium and Cafeteria, Upholstery shop, barber shop. in the south block is the swimming pool, gyms, auditorium, cafeteria, music rooms, staff cav. i am including a pdf copy of the 1965 information book for the school. hope this provides the info your after. btw, i was a student there in the early seventies

Attachments

• Parkway Vocational School.pdf
    9.5 MB · Views: 560

Anyone know its history?

Attachments

• Parkway Vocational School.pdf
    9.5 MB · Views: 461
how in the righteous hell is the old public toilets on the north-east corner of this site heritage designated but yet the main school not even listed?

The city badly needs some new heritage planners to go through and designate our excellent modernist stock. It's falling all too quickly these days.

how in the righteous hell is the old public toilets on the north-east corner of this site heritage designated but yet the main school not even listed?

The city badly needs some new heritage planners to go through and designate our excellent modernist stock. It's falling all too quickly these days.

I know I'm terrible here, to some for lacking a great enthusiasm for modernism.

But honestly, I've never found this building appealing.

Not at a distance, not in person, especially the outside.

Its relationship to the street is poor, its cut off on 3 sides by the on-ramp to the DVP, and the DVP itself.

It features excessive parking infrastructure, too many ramps, an odd and dysfunctional landscape layout, and it frankly, looks blah, especially from Danforth.

There are building I was, and would be genuinely upset to lose; this is not one of those.

I know I'm terrible here, to some for lacking a great enthusiasm for modernism.

But honestly, I've never found this building appealing.

Not at a distance, not in person, especially the outside.

Its relationship to the street is poor, its cut off on 3 sides by the on-ramp to the DVP, and the DVP itself.

It features excessive parking infrastructure, too many ramps, an odd and dysfunctional landscape layout, and it frankly, looks blah, especially from Danforth.

There are building I was, and would be genuinely upset to lose; this is not one of those.
Then don't designate those. I personally would love to see a redevelopment scheme with the old shop facilities in the north block of the complex demolished with all the associate vehicle ramps, and the retention of the more architecturally significant south blocks. Maybe see if you can bring a new public street up between the existing building and the DVP, and stick a 2 or 3 tower development along The Danforth.. You can keep the buildings while rectifying the poor landscaping.

Back