News   Apr 19, 2024
 967     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 677     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Church-Wellesley Village

Pride Toronto lost $1.3 million last year amid controversy
Pride Toronto has hit a snag after it was revealed that it lost almost $1.3 million during the 2017 festival, landing it the red for the first time since 2010.
Financial documents show that Pride lost $1.3 million, absorbing its $848,124 surplus and bringing the deficit to $458,209.
While never originally intended to generate revenue or include corporate sponsors, the numbers show that sponsorship dropped from $2.3 million in 2016 to $1.5 million this year, and donations by $651,450, which could spell trouble down the road.
Beverage sales and government grants were down as well, with Pride organizers receiving only $19,120 of the $260,000 available through the Ontario Trillium Foundation.

This past year's celebrations were marred with controversy after Pride adhered to a list of demands from Black Lives Matter, one of which asked for the "removal of police floats in the Pride marches and parades."

Some have called the move exclusionary and point to it as the main reason for the financial hit.
http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/11/pride-toronto-lost-13-million-last-year-amid-controversy/

Can't say I'm really surprised about Pride considering the amount of controversy and division surrounding it last year.

Loaded Pierogi is open now and Nova Pizza is opening their new location next door this week.

Pizza Nova is open at the new location now. The "All The Best" storefront also no longer has a For Lease sign up, wonder if it's been leased.

The old Pizzaiolo space also had its For Lease sign removed a few weeks back. I wonder what's going into all of these spots?

The Pizzaiolo building has a new coat of paint on but that's all the development I've seen so far.

Something is happening in the old Priape space. The windows are uncovered and it's being cleaned up inside. It could be nothing but making it more marketable.

The Priape space is pretty large; they might do what they did with the Superfresh and split it in two.

Paper's come down in the "All The Best" space and the inside is all gutted. Wonder if it's been leased.

the old pizzaiolo/dispensary spot is now completely renovated on the inside. looks like they kept some of the original mouldings but also added some new glass shelving on the north wall. i wonder what the space will be. it's all white and various tones of grey.

Saw a tv on the wall; looks like possibly a mobile or tech store of some kind maybe?

A high-end pharmacy is apparently opening in the old Pizzailo space. I've also heard that a tapas bar/restaurant is opening in the old Bliss/George's Play space. That would at least be a more positive addition than yet another pharmacy.

I'm still intrigued as to what's happening with the old Priape space.

That's alot of pharmacies along the stretch. And I guess the Ghazale is now an independent resto as it's changed it's name.

Last edited:

Back