News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

The former Church St. Diner at 555 Church St. now has a notice in the window that a mortgage company has taken over the building. The locks have been changed and no tress passers allowed. I guess a year and a half of being closed isn't good for any business. Are the Restaurant Makeover people really to blame for all this? This place appeared busy before they came along?

^ I think it's been closed for a little while now. Must be killer rent for that mansion. The mansion that houses Macs Milk a few doors north is also for sale. I think they want $2.7 million.

The Red Lion?? What a shame... I used to enjoy that patio in the summertime!

I always noticed it when I walked down Jarvis, but it just doesn't seem like the patio would be very pleasant. The street is filled with fast-moving traffic and there are few pedestrians.

EXACTLY! A good way to get rid of the Gay Village.

Considering at least one and possibly two of the mayoral candidates will be gay, this should be an election issue. Especially since, they both live nearby.

problem is 90% of the voting public probably don't care if the village disappears

definitely be nice to have a gay presence in the mayoral office but doubt the village would be considered an election issue

this is more of a kyle rae issue....if he cares

I always noticed it when I walked down Jarvis, but it just doesn't seem like the patio would be very pleasant. The street is filled with fast-moving traffic and there are few pedestrians.

The patio was pleasant enough under those nice big trees, the problem was more the service/management. I'm sure someone with an understanding of customer service could take over the place and run a very successful establishment.

Interior renovations ongoing at the old Trax/Alibi space. The building permit in the window says it's for a retail store.

alibi.jpg

They should definitely allow more clubs in the village. Although to be fair our gay village isn't in the worst shape. We still have Buddies and Fly. From what I was told Boston only has one gay club left.

Interior renovations ongoing at the old Trax/Alibi space. The building permit in the window says it's for a retail store.

alibi.jpg

i love the arched ceilings ... it's going to look really nice !
any clue as to the name of retailer?

They should definitely allow more clubs in the village. Although to be fair our gay village isn't in the worst shape. We still have Buddies and Fly. From what I was told Boston only has one gay club left.

what happened to the Barn?

^ Yeah the ceilings look great. I think dt torontogeek mentioned it may have once been a funeral home. No idea who the future tenant is but I'd rather see a restaurant than a retailer.

^ Yeah the ceilings look great. I think dt torontogeek mentioned it may have once been a funeral home. No idea who the future tenant is but I'd rather see a restaurant than a retailer.

Great shot! This looks a little more encouraging than looking through the front window but it still appears quite a bit has been lost in here which is unfortunate. But, at least it's still standing and getting a little TLC on the inside & outside which is good!

Yes, I did hear from someone who worked there back in the Trax days that this was a funeral home for a time, in the 40's or 50's - not quite sure.

i love the arched ceilings ... it's going to look really nice !
any clue as to the name of retailer?

what happened to the Barn?

The Barn is still open, so is Cellblock and George's Play. (all places you can dance) We still have a fair number of non-dancing gay bars too. It's not quite as bad as people make it seem. Hell, even in NYC, a lot of the gay bars are gone. Greenwich Village is more straight than gay these days. There is no gay village in New York anymore, just a smattering of bars all over Manhattan but no village atmosphere.

Back