News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

With the rate Jack Astors has been expanding downtown, I suppose its a possiblity. Yet, they really do seem to cater to the "bridge & tunnel" crowd right now and don't strike me a place your average Toronto gay would ever consider going.

If it were a chain, I'd think a Milestones might be the most appropriate for Zelda's spot.

I just checked MLS for these figures. The old 2nd floor Priape space is $5600 a month and Bigliardi's old space is going for $12,500 a month. I don't know if that includes taxes.

most likey triple net of property taxes + GST/HST, maintenance fees and insurance

With the rate Jack Astors has been expanding downtown, I suppose its a possiblity. Yet, they really do seem to cater to the "bridge & tunnel" crowd right now and don't strike me a place your average Toronto gay would ever consider going.

If it were a chain, I'd think a Milestones might be the most appropriate for Zelda's spot.

I think Milestones would want a new building. Their aesthetics are far too upscale for that building.

Looks like gay-owned and gay-employing businesses will be replaced by investor-owned and gay-employing businesses....

Walked by the new Zelda's tonight. The sign wasn't lit and the old Arrabiata banner was still up, but it looked nice through the window. Noticed they replaced the interior lighting (thankfully) and it looked pretty cozy :)

I think Milestones would want a new building. Their aesthetics are far too upscale for that building.

Looks like gay-owned and gay-employing businesses will be replaced by investor-owned and gay-employing businesses....
Although, O'Grady's on Church seems to be investor-owned, straight-employing while still managing to have (mostly) gay clientele.

Although, O'Grady's on Church seems to be investor-owned, straight-employing while still managing to have (mostly) gay clientele.

That's once place I wouldn't mind shutting down. Mediocre overpriced food and terrible service. All they've got going for them is the big patio.

I have never set foot in this Il Fornello's. But I do find it sad that yet another Church St business has gone under. And I don't care much for Woody's itself, but it's got to be the largest bar on Church St and losing it would totally devastate the village beyond recognition.

I was walking along Queen West today and the same thing seems to be happening there, lots of long time tenants are gone.

Just opening up spaces for the New Gay Village's shops to open up!

I find it difficult to believe that Woody's could go, it makes a shitload off of beer sales. However, the way things are going, nothing would surprise me. If it does go, then thats it! Village over.

If Woody's closes, you're right. What is now known as The Village will simply be a Village.

Many people go to the Village specifically for Woody's. When I was young and discovering that gay villages exist I only wanted to go to Woody's. I'm sure it has the same attraction for tourists.

Are tourists going to come to the Village to eat at Montana's or Milestones?! Nah... dun think so.

I really hope this mass exodus stops soon... but landlords are just greedy greedy MFers (especially Mercedes Property Management... worst ever)

anyone know who owns the building woodys is in?

all the years they've been there, i wonder if they ever had the chance to buy it....i'm sure they could afford it if the opportunity ever arose

are there no laws pertaining to business rent? landlords can only raise a resident's rent a small percent...why can landlords raise a business rent so much in one shot?

anyone know who owns the building woodys is in?

all the years they've been there, i wonder if they ever had the chance to buy it....i'm sure they could afford it if the opportunity ever arose

are there no laws pertaining to business rent? landlords can only raise a resident's rent a small percent...why can landlords raise a business rent so much in one shot?

Actually I remember reading that Woody's does own its space. It was in a story about Priape moving, because the old Priape space is also owned by Woody's. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually I remember reading that Woody's does own its space. It was in a story about Priape moving, because the old Priape space is also owned by Woody's. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

According to the below Toronto Life article Woody's leases their space but they have many years left on the lease:

Quote from Toronto Life:

"Those skittish about losing yet another venerable Village pickup joint can rest easy. Woody’s manager Dean Odorico, assured us that despite the high rent, they still have about 10 years left on their lease."

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/da...or-yonge-street-where-it-will-surely-re-camp/

I don't know if this is true but a friend of mine told me yesterday that the rents on Yonge Street are cheaper then the rents on Church Street. I find that hard to believe, with Yonge Street being Toronto's main street and the high pedestrian traffic. If it is true, something is wrong there. My friend thinks The Gay Village is moving back to Yonge Street again.
(Like it was in the 80's)

I got some more information regarding Crews/Tango and I think I can put the story together. The story goes something like this, from two unrelated sources. When ownership changed last spring a substantial amount was owing in rent. Being as the new owners were previously associated with the business they were twice denied liquor licenses until debts owing were paid. So as I understand it, until someone who is in no way affiliated with Crews/Tango comes along to re-open the club it'll stay as is. The name of the club will most likely also have to go.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is true but a friend of mine told me yesterday that the rents on Yonge Street are cheaper then the rents on Church Street. I find that hard to believe, with Yonge Street being Toronto's main street and the high pedestrian traffic. If it is true, something is wrong there. My friend thinks The Gay Village is moving back to Yonge Street again.
(Like it was in the 80's)

I argue that Yonge Street is not Toronto's "Main Street" or even "Toronto's main street". It seems to still have a mythical importance to some by virtue of it's historical status as the city's main street and it's centre of the map location. Those factors are years, possibly decades removed from relevance.

People's tastes changed and new entertainment areas flourished closer to where they lived or had a more trendy status. Their sucess came at Yonge's expense. Now, Yonge actually has very low pedestrian traffic at night, leading to the strange situation where the dozens of restaurants north of college are mostly a day/evening operation and the street is dead by 11.

I think the street is approaching the critical mass necessary to transition into a destination again, especially given the imminent local population increase. Those who will lead the renaissance of Yonge probably won't even remember it's heyday (I don't,) which is probably how these things normally happen anyway. At some point in the next twenty years, it could be downtown's main street again.

Back