News   Jul 31, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 397     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 338     2 

Church Street Bars/Clubs/Restos

The club I reeeely reeeely want to go to when it opens is Circa. One of the rooms is all white tile, with a bar shaped like a toilet. What could be more fun than that?

The Roman was Cupid stupid.

Oh Flower, I think you and are wilting on the same lyrical vine. I suspect they have no idea who Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero is. When is someone going to make a movie about her life and who will play her? Please, not Keira Knightly! I think Penelope Cruz would be fab.

it was supposed to open for pride 2006, and they even sold tickets, but then "construction was delayed", when really there was a lot of infighting between the owner and its financiers and all that other fun club-drama. Its liquor license was revoked for awhile then more money problems, I'm extremely surprised its even opening now. I really want to go too, that room with a toilet is actually a washroom bar..

Gatien was hoping for a pansexual environment at Circa, I really wonder if that's going to happen still. The club district is still fairly off limits to homos en-masse, I remember hearing a lot of people uncomfortable about headin' down there when there was a gay party down there a few years ago...

I think the idea with Circa is to expand beyond the usual crowd - the Scotiabank Theatre's live opera broadcast audience shows it can be done - and make an honest woman out of clubland. Never a dull moment when you've got an active imagination, financial backing, and some good designers.

btw phunk, cute pic. hah.
Thanks ;) And where is yours?
I think the idea with Circa is to expand beyond the usual crowd - the Scotiabank Theatre's live opera broadcast audience shows it can be done - and make an honest woman out of clubland. Never a dull moment when you've got an active imagination, financial backing, and some good designers.
Also, not to mention that there were gay events at Industry (once a month?), and from what I can remember, they did quite well! Although I'm not sure how mainstream they were.

The touchy-feely bar, or whatever it's called, sounds like fun. You touch the bar surface and it send images of your hand rippling all over the place or something. I'm increasingly desperate to experience this place.

Also, not to mention that there were gay events at Industry (once a month?), and from what I can remember, they did quite well! Although I'm not sure how mainstream they were.
There's also been gay nights at the Kool Haus/Guvernment, The Phoenix, Jet and a few others over the years.

The touchy-feely bar, or whatever it's called, sounds like fun. You touch the bar surface and it send images of your hand rippling all over the place or something. I'm increasingly desperate to experience this place.
BTW, there's more CIRCA info in our clubland thread here...
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6345

-------

Changing topics a wee bit, there's also a great article from the most receont T.O. Life on the rise and fall of Vazaleen/Club V....
http://www.torontolife.com/features/generation-v/?pageno=1

Went to the grand opening of Church Street Bar last night (the old Vice location) - they've done a great job on the place! Fun times! :)

Darkstar's shameless and relentless proselytizing has apparently snared seven more.

Finally, we can form an UTGA street gang. I'll buy the pink and lavender spraypaints.

A meet for the opening of Circa, anyone?

Barn back in business
James Dubro / Xtra / Thursday, September 13, 2007

6491.jpg

REBORN FROM THE ASHES. The Barn will reopen as a gay bar, though spokesperson Russell Palloo won't say when.

The Barn, the late Janko Naglic's legendary three-floor dance and cruise bar, has been sold. The deal, which included both the historic building and the business, officially closed on Sep 10.

"We're excited about bringing back a big piece of our history for Toronto's gay community to enjoy now and in the years to come," stated Russell Palloo, the new general manager of the Barn, in a press release announcing the deal.

Palloo, who was the general manager of Five Nightclub from 2004 to '05, is acting as spokesperson for the so-far anonymous new owners.

"The identities of the three new gay owners and the official launch party date will be announced at a later time," read the press release.

According to Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario spokesperson Ab Campion an application was received on Aug 3 to transfer the liquor licence for the Barn to CMB2 Inc of which Carl Bremmer is listed as a director.

In mid-August, after the deal was underway and Palloo had been hired as the club's new manager, he created a Facebook group to spread the rumour that the Barn was reopening. The group now has more than 265 members.

Palloo says he started the group "for two reasons: To create a community buzz and to get opinions from many people as to what the expectations and desires for a new Barn are," adding that he envisions the bar as "a fun and vibrant community melting pot."

The Barn went up for sale in June 2006. The asking price for the building itself — constructed in 1891 and designated historic in 2006 — was initially listed as $1.85 million with the business listed separately at $295,000. Paloo says the new owners paid $1.8 million for both.

There has been a gay bar at Church and Granby since Naglic opened Jo-Jo's on the second floor of 418 Church St in 1975. Over the years the business expanded to become the three-storey complex known as the Barn. Naglic bought the property in 1988 for $1.4 million and ran it until his murder in October 2004.

Although the club continued operating for several months following Naglic's death, it was closed temporarily after a chimney fire in January 2005. The building underwent renovations and reopened in May 2005, but was shut down again in June of that year amidst concerns about structural problems.

Renovations are currently underway.

If they do re-open it, they need to paint it nicer. Make the inside less crammed feeling, particularly the stairs. And put in some nicer lighting. And make it less sketchy overall.

Back