News   Jul 29, 2024
 669     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 403     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 632     0 

Chief Planner Jennifer Keesmaat to leave City of Toronto

but am I wrong in recalling that no political party is against it?
How did civic politics in Canada become "political parties" or are you referring to Queen's Park?

Careful how you answer, because they all come out looking like toadies, Brown being the biggest toad of them all. The SSE is a disaster waiting to happen. Keesmaat will forever have to live down compromising herself on it, because at least the record shows she, if few others at City Hall, knew the details. The politicos, save a very few number of councillors, Matlow amongst them, realized the piece of shit for smelling like it does.

Part of me thinks Keesmaat's departure might (a big might considering this is just a guess) have something to do with the RL. I've made my opinion in the past on why I think Tory, Wynne, Del Duca, and Metrolinx all want to kill the RL. Or at least delay it indefinitely. Metrolinx's 2014 remarks about relief line not being needed, ridiculous claims about Line 1's enhanced capacity, Stouffville RER popping up out of nowhere, SmartTrack popping up a few months after...

Byford and Keesmaat are arguably the biggest official non-politician RL supporters - the former for technical reasons the latter planning reasons. But with Keesmaat going it has me wondering if a) she knows something about the RL's future and is preemptively trying to avoid flack for its potential cancellation; b) she's been booted because she's going to be vocal about its potential cancellation. With her gone that just leaves Byford, and we all know how those heading the TTC can be easily shown the door. Hm, just I thought I had earlier today.

Cancelling the Relief Line would be political suicide in the midtown-downtown areas of Toronto- which Wynne is from.

Really, the current way works politically so far- acknowledge that it's needed but never commit the money needed to get to truly underway (beyond funding a few studies here and there). People grumble but as long as it 'might' be coming one day, everything's fine? Of course, there's always the stuff 'they' know and the stuff 'we' know, and we'll always be guessing until the day of the announcement.

Cancelling the Relief Line would be political suicide in the midtown-downtown areas of Toronto- which Wynne is from.

Really, the current way works politically so far- acknowledge that it's needed but never commit the money needed to get to truly underway (beyond funding a few studies here and there). People grumble but as long as it 'might' be coming one day, everything's fine? Of course, there's always the stuff 'they' know and the stuff 'we' know, and we'll always be guessing until the day of the announcement.
Cancelling DRL would certainly harm the Liberals, but it seems like something a PC government would want to do. They could put the money into Pasternak's so-called North York Relief Line and a Sheppard East extension. Admittedly it would be insane, but that means it would be (a) good politics for the PC's, and (b) par for the course in Toronto's transit planning.

Keesmaat was on Metro Morning today, and stated very clearly she has no plans on running for municipal or provincial office. Wonder what's next?

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/08/30/dont-let-door-hit-you-on-way-out-councillors-to-keesmaat

The Sun firing a shot back at the Star. Do you see the bias here @syn ? The picture choice? Wording? Probably not as you implied "opinion" pieces are not representative of the media. Although I heavily disagree as they only pay authors who tow the party line. Anyway. Weve discussed this enough and it just goes way off topic. But thought this was atleast a bit relevant for both discussions.

Part of me thinks Keesmaat's departure might (a big might considering this is just a guess) have something to do with the RL. I've made my opinion in the past on why I think Tory, Wynne, Del Duca, and Metrolinx all want to kill the RL. Or at least delay it indefinitely. Metrolinx's 2014 remarks about relief line not being needed, ridiculous claims about Line 1's enhanced capacity, Stouffville RER popping up out of nowhere, SmartTrack popping up a few months after...

Byford and Keesmaat are arguably the biggest official non-politician RL supporters - the former for technical reasons the latter planning reasons. But with Keesmaat going it has me wondering if a) she knows something about the RL's future and is preemptively trying to avoid flack for its potential cancellation; b) she's been booted because she's going to be vocal about its potential cancellation. With her gone that just leaves Byford, and we all know how those heading the TTC can be easily shown the door. Hm, just I thought I had earlier today.
would the relief line not also be of benefit to Toronto landing Amazon's 2nd HQ?

I wonder if the bid focuses more on Smarttrack/RER than the DRL, especially if they focus on the Unilever site- the Relief Line is really a long-term benefit rather than one that can be pressed into service if the pressure is there.

would the relief line not also be of benefit to Toronto landing Amazon's 2nd HQ?

I guess it will make it easier for everyone to get to the Scarborough HQ ;) (sorry just dreaming, but then again lots of land, the 401 and a direct subway connection.... ok Ill wake up)

Last edited:
Scarborough needs a renaissance. It's a large part of the city, yet it's relatively stagnant. We need the "new town" 2.0: a post-suburban revitalization plan for the once-suburban places that have lost their original charms of newness and open space.

Scarborough needs a renaissance. It's a large part of the city, yet it's relatively stagnant. We need the "new town" 2.0: a post-suburban revitalization plan for the once-suburban places that have lost their original charms of newness and open space.

For the most part Scarborough as a whole is finally improving thru a series of "sporadic" plans recently that has started to take shape. Unfortunately its not a complete overall plan as some areas have been left out of focus and there is still transit uncertainty that will linger and affect a few pockets

Kingston road is improving quite a bit mostly due to small scale revitalization efforts in the south west which has seen it's success start to spread further east, the Crosstown is bringing some life to Eglinton West with exciting future proposals, the subway and Master plan will give the Scarborough Centre a sizable injection, the Bluffs waterfront is getting a massive trail system to connect to the Rouge and Beach, Agincourt has seem some momentum, UTSC is growing well with their detailed master plan further East. The City Centre will become a well connected commuter hub and will become more "urban" under the master plan. Like most plans inevitably it will take a few decades to either find a firm identity. If and when there is ever will to build a public or private attraction within this area (I always thought a cricket stadium could work) or find ways to compete with the highly focused 905 Centers for some business should the City choose to even bother it will reflect well on all of Scarborough. In the meantime the Centre will do very well being connected to the Core going forward for commuters.

There are a few tired areas (Malvern, most of Lawrence Ave) which the City should temper approving many new proposals until a future plan to revitalizes or transit comes along. Better to wait. They should halt any proposals as they are just digging a deeper hole with low quality projects, and areas around Kennedy station should unquestionably be unleashed for mixed use high-rise and midrise with addition of even more transit to this area.

The City core is getting more an more expensive and never going back, Durham is about to explode in growth and this suburb will do really well in the next 20-50 years. Other areas of the City succeeded in large part to solid investments and plans made decades earlier, Lots of reason this didn't happen in Scarborough with poor decisions from past planning and lack thereof post amalgamation. But progress is naturally starting to push East, Scarborough Centre is getting connected, the transit picture has another hurdle on Sheppard but focus can turn to local improvements once SSE is out of the way and with some better focus on the "tired"areas I see no real issues here. Rouge National Park, Zoo, Waterfront (Guild, Port union, Bluffs, UTSC) the extensive hiking, inner cycling trail system.... There's plenty to build around as the transit picture clears from the RT debacle and the City is able to move on from the trouble it has caused for all. You wouldn't ever see all that much information on Keesmats twitter feed ;) but some really good things have already started.

Last edited:
Late to the discussion but I agree with others. 2018 is too early for mayor, especially with Thug back in the running. Tory will retire in 2022 and the Fords will (hopefully) be a distant memory, and Keesmaat would be an ideal candidate.

I wouldn't rule out her running in Ward 16 though. Others pointed to the new downtown wards, but Ward 16 is held by a very weak councilor and is closer to Keesmaat's home. It would be one more urbanist vote on council too, since we should assume that whoever wins downtown will be progressive.

The timing of Keesmaat's departure is interesting though. She (as she has publicly stated in recent weeks) loves this city and took the job because of it's challenges even though she could make much more in the private sector. I too think that she must know something that the rest of us will learn in the coming months.

Back