News   Apr 24, 2024
 879     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 601     0 

Cherry Street Nightclub

"the health risk we face from noise pollution"- I can't even. This is coming from people on Ward's Island? Try living on a somewhat busy street in Toronto dealing with cars, streetcars, screaming people, and worst of all, motorcycles. Give me a break.

I laughed at that too. I might have sympathized with them if they described it as an annoyance, which I imagine it is.

To be fair, not being able to sleep well (for any reason, but in this case because of loud noise) can be a health concern if it goes for too long. And it's not like the scenario where someone bought a place right in the middle of the entertainment/club district. And unfortunately, sound does carry a lot over the waters.

For me though, the question is whether a club makes sense down in that area, and a separate topic of, does it make sense to have residents on the island.

Both add a point of interest to the city's landscape. Hopefully, both parties find a solution.

"the health risk we face from noise pollution"- I can't even. This is coming from people on Ward's Island? Try living on a somewhat busy street in Toronto dealing with cars, streetcars, screaming people, and worst of all, motorcycles. Give me a break.
As someone jamming down there in adjacent building, and having done so on and off for decades and built studios down there decades back, and far from being a 'prude' (except for the mindless consumer dipshids that arrived when the Docks was first opened by Jerry years back) I can assure you that the "boom" from the tasteless repetitive resonant sound system travels across water in an acoustically efficient manner such that it sounds like a neighbour down the street blasting 10 kilowatts of tasteless audio into your life. In all fairness, similar happens from all the entertainment facilities on the waterfront, the other notable ones being (or was) the CNE and Ontario Place venues. I leave it at that save that I've just emailed heads up to all my associates down on Polson.

I know more but want to discuss this with others first before complicating our situation there. Stupid kids, why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way at handling our drugs and good times? As it is, it's next to impossible to find parking in our spots down there even when the circus at the end isn't in session. I bite my lip from typing more...
1297909701791_ORIGINAL.jpg

A club-goer has died following a suspected drug overdose on Friday night at a downtown hotspot. Toronto Police Const. David Hopkinson said officers received reports of two suspected overdoses Friday night at Rebel nightclub, located at Polson Pier. One person was treated and released at the scene, he said. The other person was pronounced dead after being rushed to hospital.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/19/clubgoer-dead-in-suspected-overdose

They are lucky to live there. For all I know, some might have a sense of entitlement - one would have to know the community way better than I do to make that call, but perhaps you are much more familiar with the residents. Yes, noise is part of the equation of living in the city, but from my understanding of past battles between the Docks on one side, and the City of Toronto/residents on the other, this noise is something altogether different from the usual cacophony of urban living. Most people don't have a one-of-a-kind, massive nightclub with a booming sound system on their street. It's also shocking how effectively that noise carries over distances of water.
Absolutely correct. This is not *reasonable tolerance* being tested what-so-ever. It also poisons the environment for others who have similar interests in that area (creatively and geographically) but who don't impose their presence on others.

To those thinking this is a case of 'tut-tutting'....far from it.

Let me ask you this: If the movie theatre down the street, even in an industrial/commercial area, was showing open-air movies with their 10,000 watt Class D sound system (that's now typical for theatres, albeit most reserve headroom so as not to clip the sound)(distortion on an agony scale) would many of you be OK with that?

I doubt it...

Get off the condescending attitude to Islanders and others on or adjacent to the waterfront wishing to enjoy their own form of entertainment.

That level of sound can and should be contained. Some special events can't be (Car racing) (although God only knows why they need to do it in an urban area, money does that for some) and air shows, for instance, but special events are part of the accepted fabric of city living. Sprackman's sprockets aren't. He lives in Florida, and has the money sent to him. A real inconvenience that...

Last edited:
For me though, the question is whether a club makes sense down in that area, and a separate topic of, does it make sense to have residents on the island.
Not really the thread for this, but…

Does it make sense to have residents on the island? Not if you're trying to play by the rulebook.
Is it pretty great that we have a couple "lost in time" communities on our city's doorstep? Sure is.
Rules, usually for good reason and often to good effect, restrict so much of what we do in this city, so it's a relief to have some places where the exception is, really charmingly, the rule.

From CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-could-appear-on-the-old-docks-site-1.3940250

But a lawyer for Powerhouse told CBC Toronto Tuesday that the company has no plans to actually use that extra capacity, even if were granted.

But could it, in future?

"There's always a chance for everything," Richard Kulis said. "But in my view of it, I think we're looking at numbers reasonably close to, if not exactly, the capacity that exists now.".

If there are no plans to use it, why ask for it? The lawyer gave a non-answer to that.

AoD

I also happened upon the CBC story this morning. Beyond the size/scope they are asking for being too much (IMHO), this blurb stood out to me:

...it's out of step with the city's vision for this area, which includes parks and residential neighbourhoods.

"It sits right in the middle of a planned neighbourhood, right on the edge of a river and parks," Greenberg said. "It's like creating a giant crater in the middle of an area that would otherwise by a vital, successful part of the whole redevelopment of the waterfront."

Thinking of future planning, it doesn't make sense to me to have a large night club there at all.

I also happened upon the CBC story this morning. Beyond the size/scope they are asking for being too much (IMHO), this blurb stood out to me:

Thinking of future planning, it doesn't make sense to me to have a large night club there at all.

So where do we put music venues? Where are people going to go for entertainment? If a large club can't work in the middle of nowhere, where can it work?

Re-development in this area is not exactly right around the corner. Should we abandon the area and leave it empty while we wait for this potential re-development plan? Besides...the club is already there operating 5-7 days a week right now, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon, especially after the $10 Million in renovations they recently did.

So where do we put music venues? Where are people going to go for entertainment? If a large club can't work in the middle of nowhere, where can it work?

Re-development in this area is not exactly right around the corner. Should we abandon the area and leave it empty while we wait for this potential re-development plan? Besides...the club is already there operating 5-7 days a week right now, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon, especially after the $10 Million in renovations they recently did.

Would they be happy pouring another $10million into it, only to have it torn up once development begins?

I think that before anybody put money into the area, the city should have finalized what the port lands is to become. I mean, lets say this goes through - does that mean that the port lands as a whole is going to be set aside as a new entertainment district? Clubs, amusement parks, ferris wheels, sports facilities (there was talk once about a triple decker skating arena). Chances are if the club goes through, and they make it the disposable destination for hipsters and club kids, developers for residential properties are going to change their mind about the area.

I can't completely write off that idea, but will say that the loose renderings folks have done with the newly rerouted Don River do appeal to me more.

Nonetheless. We need to talk about what the community and the city at large wants for this space, and quickly.

Residents fear a 15,000-person nightclub could appear on the old Docks site
At full capacity, the site would be the biggest nightclub in the world
The world's largest nightclub — with a capacity to hold more than 15,000 people — could soon be coming to this city's waterfront, despite objections from neighbours and local politicians, CBC Toronto has learned.

The company that owns Rebel and an adjacent bar, Cabana, in the Portlands, has applied for a new liquor licence for the same site, but with a much larger scope.

The application from Powerhouse Corp. calls for an indoor capacity of 7,584 people, and with another 7,971 patrons allowed on patios.

It's slated to be heard by the province's Licensing Appeals Tribunal on Feb. 9.

The company also wants to shed the strict conditions that were put on its existing liquor licence after residents on the Toronto Islands, and around the harbour, complained about excessive noise coming from the venue a decade ago.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-could-appear-on-the-old-docks-site-1.3940250

[...] If a large club can't work in the middle of nowhere, where can it work? [...]
Re-development in this area is not exactly right around the corner. Should we abandon the area and leave it empty while we wait for this potential re-development plan? [...]

This isn't the middle of nowhere. Given how sound travels over water, this can materially affect existing and under construction residential neighbourhoods -- if you look at the record of what was happening with the Docks before they clamped down on the noise, it was incredibly disruptive. I am not saying there should not be a club, or even a big club, just that the "middle of nowhere" is a lousy, and wrong, justification for what is proposed. I would think that the appropriate justification is a concrete plan that meaningfully addresses all of the impacts.

Nobody is suggesting that we abandon the area or leave it empty. Where did you see that? People are saying that a massive new club which abandons the existing conditions on the existing liquor licence is a bad idea. Not sure how you get "let's sterilize the lands" from that.

Back