News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.1K     2 

Charles Jencks to speak at U of T

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Canadian Architect

Link to article

Fall 2007 Lecture Series: Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design at the University of Toronto
9/19/2007

The following is the fall lecture series schedule hosted by the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design (al&d) at the University of Toronto.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Philip Beesley
Associate Professor, School of Architecture, University of Waterloo
Principal, Philip Beesley Architect Inc., Toronto
Hylozoic Soil

Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Christopher Fannin
Lecturer, University of Virginia School of Architecture
Principal, D.I.R.T. Studio, Charlottesville
Visiting Professor, al&d fall 2007
Tectonic Tendencies

Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Lisa Findley
Associate Professor, Architecture and Master of Architecture, California College of the Arts
Building Change: The Power of Architectural Agency

Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Benjamin Aranda and Chris Lasch
Principals, Aranda/Lasch & terraswarm, New York
Recent Work

Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Ali Rahim
Associate Professor of Architecture, University of Pennsylvania School of Design
Director, Contemporary Architecture Practice, New York
Catalytic Formations

Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Charles Jencks
Author, Architectural historian, Designer
Critical Modernism

Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Sahel Al-Hiyari
Principal, Sahel Al-Hiyari and Partners, Amman
Recent Work

Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Jacques Ferrier
Principal, Jacques Ferrier Architecte, Paris
Sustainable Innovations

All lectures begin at 6:30pm in Room 103 at 230 College Street in Toronto, except for the Charles Jencks lecture on November 13, 2007, which will be held at the Isabel Bader Theatre located at 93 Charles Street West.

al&d is grateful for donations made in support of the fall 2007 lecture series from the Ontario Association of Architects, Montgomery Sisam Architects Inc., Kohn Shnier Architects, the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects, and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. In addition, they are grateful to CulturesFrance and the Embassy of France in Canada for their assistance.

For more information, please visit www.ald.utoronto.ca/news_events/lectures/current

nice. i can go straight from my studio right to the lectures. haven't ventured to any uoft lecture yet, so this year will be a first. i hope i don't get mauled by the UofTies.

the ryerson lectures should be starting soon as well.

gawd,

I would avoid it at all cost. He's going senile, or something. His last book was rubbish, and he'll make even less sense when he tries to explain it to you in person... something about metaphorical architecture being good, because he's turned his aspirations to design and likes drawing spirals.... urghhh...

how apt that the crystal just opened down the street..

I would avoid it at all cost. He's going senile, or something. His last book was rubbish ....

In total agreement with this sentiment.

Before his recent drifts, Jencks had done a great deal of damage in muddling the interpretation of what constitutes change in architecture. He once had the ear of much of academia - for better or for worse - but now he is more of an oddity as he spins off his "meta" ramblings in one publication after another.

There are better things to do with one's time.

went to see Ali Rahim's works last night and it's truely amazing. the work that can be done these days with fibreglass and glass which connects with the complex theory that's behind it was very interesting.

im hoping to see more of this type of work from other architects here in north america.

Back