News   Mar 18, 2024
 777     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 774     0 

Charged a fee to use the elevator when moving?? Is this a standard practice??

CityLover

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was told that in order to move out we have to provide a $200 certified cheque or cash as a security deposit (refundable) along with a certified cheque or cash in the amount of $50. (their “fee†for using the elevator.) I have never encountered any building where we were required to pay a fee to move out of a building. Property Management tells me that it’s in case anything is damaged in the elevator. I said that is why the security deposit is required in case there is any elevator damage. She then told me that this fee of $50 is put in a general reserve fund to cover any damage to the entire property. I’ve never heard of such a thing and told her that usually the security guard checks the elevator before the move and will check it again after the move and if there is any damage that is what the certified cheque in the amount of $200 is for. I said that any damage to other parts of the building is suppose to be covered by the owners maintenance fees. She didn’t know how to answer this question but said that this had been done by the board of directors.
If this was a standard practice among all the condos then I would have no problem with it but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of such a thing. I asked the Regional Manager about this and he said it is “standard practiceâ€. Is this true in your experience or just another cash grab??

Cash grab

I have no problem at all with a security deposit. I just think charging a fee to use the elevator is another cash grab. This building is Concord West One and is absolutely no high-end building!

I think you'll come to see that elevator booking fees are the new reality of condos downtown. Downtown high-rise condos are seeing a high volume of unit sales and short-term leases which in turn are making moves much more frequent. This in turn is incurring costs on the rest of the condo community: inspections and cleanup of the elevator, dealing with agents at the concierge, lockboxes and holding of keys, damage to common elements during moves, elevator maintenance... not to mention high renter occupancy percentages.

These modest fees (50 bucks) are a way for the condo to recoup some of the costs, and not a "cash grab". While its unlikely that this would generate any kind of profit, any excess cash ends up either going towards expenses or to the reserve fund for the betterment of the condo anyway.

The $50 fee "sucks", yes, but it can certainly be justified.

As someone who has purchased a condo with the intention of living in it for a few years, I would want to see this fee charged to the constant revolving door of investment properties rented out. After all, any wear and tear, damage, and loss of an elevator for general use comes at a cost to someone and it's best that it be in the form of a user fee as opposed to an increase in maintenance fees.

Upon living in a condo for, say, 5-7 years, the cost to me would then be chaulked up as part of my moving costs and can justifiably be considered $10 or less per year of living in the building.

What would really suck is if this fee was charged for moving in on top of moving out... does that happen?

That's what the security deposit is for...

Then why do a lot of condos not charge a moving fee then?? If there is any damage to the elevator during a move this should be taken from the security deposit, not an additional fee. They tried to charge another tenant the $50 for moving one sofa!!

Back