News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Cesspool on the Potomac (Washington, DC Part I)

Could we achieve midrise "canyons" like the ones seen in Washington?
There's Wellington between John and Spadina. The King East and West areas have had similar development. The West Donlands, Regent Park, and East Bayfront are promising.

Washington DC has hardly any tall buildings. Most of the developments have been mid-rise and that's why it has that European feeling. I like it.

Washington DC has hardly any tall buildings. Most of the developments have been mid-rise ... I like it.

It's in the District's statutes that no building is allowed to exceed the height of the Washington Monument. Or at least that's what they tell me, I've never taken the time to read them.

All and all a bureaucratic nightmare, that resulted from detail not intention.

Interesting. Thanks.

I guess one could file that in the category of "the path to hell is paved with good intentions."

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I barely wisked through Georgetown, which I really, really, wanted to check out. I missed a lot of things I would have liked to see - Georgetown, Alexandria, Museum of the American Indian, and had I had a car, would have seen the urban poverty for myself.

I'm thinking of renting a car and hitting several cities in that part of the world, perhaps in 2008. Baltimore's off my list now, but Philly and Pittsburgh are on my list (haven't been to either), as well as a few rural areas like Harper's Ferry and rural Pennsylvania. I might swing by DC and add two days to the trip.

as well as a few rural areas like Harper's Ferry and rural Pennsylvania. I might swing by DC and add two days to the trip.
make sure u stop by lancaster. amish capital of the world. :D

Is there a link or can someone provide context as to why and how NIMBYs prevented the Metro from serving Georgetown?

I've always heard that they didn't extend to Georgetown because it would have required an incredibly sharp turn right after the Georgetown station in order to go under the river.

However, if you rent the excellent movie No Way Out one of the chase scenes takes place in Georgetown Station.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I barely wisked through Georgetown, which I really, really, wanted to check out. I missed a lot of things I would have liked to see - Georgetown, Alexandria, Museum of the American Indian, and had I had a car, would have seen the urban poverty for myself.

I'm thinking of renting a car and hitting several cities in that part of the world, perhaps in 2008. Baltimore's off my list now, but Philly and Pittsburgh are on my list (haven't been to either), as well as a few rural areas like Harper's Ferry and rural Pennsylvania. I might swing by DC and add two days to the trip.

Errr...I don't know how much protection a car really offers, to be honest. In SE rocks get thrown through the windows of buses sometimes, apparently.

Alexandria is definitely worth at least a night out--very, very funky and historic downtown that's probably more vibrant than anything in DC proper (lower taxes, too!).

Harper's Ferry is a real slice of...well, something. It's pretty damned weird.

You really must get to Georgetown, if only walk around and ogle the C&O Canal and the local architecture, which ranges with remarkable consistency and coherency from "stunning" to "gobsmackingly gorgeous."

What did you think of Baltimore?

Back