News   Jul 12, 2024
 675     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 643     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 286     0 

Central Waterfront Public Realm (West 8/DTAH)

Poor Doris. Maybe she'll get to skip the silly stuff at the base of the tower in exchange for a walk on the leaf.

About couple of weeks ago, I sent an e-mail to Waterfront Toronto regarding when the WEST 8 project is going to start. It's been already over a year since the design competition was won. As of yet I haven't received a reply. I don't get it, what's the use of having an e-mail contact when no one response?:confused:

Tourist family from des Moines, overheard during obligatory CN Tower visit:

Hey Doris, check this out... it's a leaf or sumptin' in the lake. Hey Bobby (lifts 7 year-old)... is that cool or what?

Doris, we gotta walk on that thing. (Doris rolls eyes but relents).

Exactly. It's just a nice postcard addition. It won't detract from the rest of the Waterfront and will be something interesting to visit for tourists.

From pedestrian level it won't look anything like a leaf, just a horizontal stretch of something out in the middle of the harbour. I doubt if Doris or her family will even notice it.

West 8

Doris aside, has anyone heard anything about the West 8 project for the central waterfront, ie., is it going to be built anytime soon, leaf or not?

If they are doing anything with that Streetcar ROW, the TTC should consider making it a green ROW and grassing the track of land like you see in many european cities. It would fit in well with the pedestrianization of that stretch of Queens Quay.

West 8

Thanks for the responses. How do we find out what is actually going on right now and wat the construction timelines are? Personally, I think that this is a very important project in terms of stitching the pieces together on the central waterfront and providing a destination for citydwellers and tourists alike. It really should be a high priority.

I think they were planning on keeping the ROW in its current location as a cost saving measure. I'm not sure what assumptions they used on the cost of moving the ROW slightly but seeing as the line has been closed for repairs numerous times in the past two years I think the lifespan of the existing ROW infrastructure is probably shorter than what they are expecting.

From pedestrian level it won't look anything like a leaf, just a horizontal stretch of something out in the middle of the harbour. I doubt if Doris or her family will even notice it.

But a lot of people won't be seeing it from pedestrian level...should be a nice little detour too.

"But a lot of people won't be seeing it from pedestrian level...should be a nice little detour too."

Indeed in this highrise age it is not 'all' about the view from street level. It won't only register with tourists in the CN tower and hotels, thousands of residents and office workers will also view it from their homes and workplace. My perception is of something along the lines of Smithson's Spiral Jetty- except a leaf shape- which is quite appropriate for Canada imho.

Well, then there's the Dubai model
89023641_1e2c5aa596_o.jpg

I imagine that from space that thing looks like a tiny earthbound tick.

Back