News   Jul 12, 2024
 753     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Central Waterfront Public Realm (West 8/DTAH)

Your cynicism is blinding you. Read again....

This is for the demolition of the Gardiner from Jarvis. Miller dropped the idea of replacing the entire raised Gardiner Expressway and focused on the portion that is absolutely vital for the Waterfront project. Not only is it doable, but there's already a precedent. The Gardiner was previously demolished east of the DVP with no effect on traffic. The East of Jarvis demolition would reroute DVP bound traffic along the rail corridor and local traffic on to Lakeshore, moving the expressway off the valuable waterfront property it currently sits on.

The East of Jarvis demolition would reroute DVP bound traffic along the rail corridor and local traffic on to Lakeshore, moving the expressway off the valuable waterfront property it currently sits on.
It would however, according to Waterfront Toronto's report - significantly increase vehicle travel times from the Carlaw/Lakeshore area to the Gardiner/Spadina area. I don't know where this "little effect on traffic" fiction comes from.

Demolishing the piece of Gardiner east of the DVP was an entirely different situation. If anything it improved traffic flow - at least in the PM peak period, as there was a bottleneck getting of the Gardiner onto Lakeshore at the Leslie ramp.

In addition, the idea of creating an 10-lane Lakeshore Blvd seems bizarre - it would create a huge barrier between the lake and the rest of the city.

It would however, according to Waterfront Toronto's report - significantly increase vehicle travel times from the Carlaw/Lakeshore area to the Gardiner/Spadina area. I don't know where this "little effect on traffic" fiction comes from.

Demolishing the piece of Gardiner east of the DVP was an entirely different situation. If anything it improved traffic flow - at least in the PM peak period, as there was a bottleneck getting of the Gardiner onto Lakeshore at the Leslie ramp.

In addition, the idea of creating an 10-lane Lakeshore Blvd seems bizarre - it would create a huge barrier between the lake and the rest of the city.

I have to agree that demolishing this piece of the Gardiner doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. It's also not 'absolutely essential', as far as I've heard or seen, to any other part of the Waterfront reconstruction. East Bayfront and LDL don't depend on this coming down -- which part of the overall plan needs this part of the Gardiner to come down?

Your cynicism is blinding you. Read again....

This is for the demolition of the Gardiner from Jarvis. Miller dropped the idea of replacing the entire raised Gardiner Expressway and focused on the portion that is absolutely vital for the Waterfront project. Not only is it doable, but there's already a precedent. The Gardiner was previously demolished east of the DVP with no effect on traffic. The East of Jarvis demolition would reroute DVP bound traffic along the rail corridor and local traffic on to Lakeshore, moving the expressway off the valuable waterfront property it currently sits on.

Ah, okay I thought you were referring to the entire downtown section. Still having said that it seems like too much right now with everything else going on. I think we should focus on the southern waterfront and not worry about this for some time. I know this isn't actually possible because of the pan am games. But if things are done in a way such that eventually, if the garidner is brought down (maybe 10/20 years from now) things will flow well. Again, by focusing on the part closest to the lake it makes it a lesser issue for now.

Boardwalk construction

Does anyone know when or if the boardwalk portion of the completed section of the Sugar Beach/Sherbourne Common waterside promenade is to start? The summary of the WT meeting in Febuary made it sound like it is on hold.

Back