News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 456     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Carsharing Grows

A report coming to the next meeting of TEYCC proposes some newly designated carshare spaces on-street:

1694093986259.png

Reactions: PL1
A report to the next meeting of Infrastructure and Environment Ctte recommends allowing each carshare company to acquire up to 1,000 free-floating carshare permits. There are the type that allow for extending parking of said vehicles on city streets as opposed to fixed spaces.

This move is being made because companies are currently limited to 500, and this is impacting Communauto which generally has vehicles fully booked each weekend.

Good move; except, the City being what it is, they are not proposing to increase the total number of permits available (capped at 2,000); this should be boosted to at least 3,000 to make a more fulsome difference in private car ownership.

A report to the next meeting of Infrastructure and Environment Ctte recommends allowing each carshare company to acquire up to 1,000 free-floating carshare permits. There are the type that allow for extending parking of said vehicles on city streets as opposed to fixed spaces.

This move is being made because companies are currently limited to 500, and this is impacting Communauto which generally has vehicles fully booked each weekend.

Good move; except, the City being what it is, they are not proposing to increase the total number of permits available (capped at 2,000); this should be boosted to at least 3,000 to make a more fulsome difference in private car ownership.
I mean Communauto is the only operator in Toronto using the permit system so the total cap is generally useless right now anyway. The effective max as it stands today is 500, and this would increase it to 1,000.

Even if a second operator joined the market, they could still operate a full fleet of 1,000.

I wouldn't worry about the total cap unless we started seeing more than 1 operator in the city.

I mean Communauto is the only operator in Toronto using the permit system so the total cap is generally useless right now anyway. The effective max as it stands today is 500, and this would increase it to 1,000.

Even if a second operator joined the market, they could still operate a full fleet of 1,000.

I wouldn't worry about the total cap unless we started seeing more than 1 operator in the city.

I would agree, to a point; but I would add, we had another operator (Car-2-GO) leave the City specifically over the floating permit issue.

I want to induce someone else into the market.

gosh .. with Communatuo is not just weekends.. its about 4-5 days of the week you cannot find a car.. and some parts of the city (ie Beaches) can get extremely difficult trying to get a car. I've given up and buying a car in the near future.. I feel 1000 permits still wont be enough, iirc Communauto has over 3,700 free-floating permits in Montreal, and as I understand they still have issues with everything getting booked on weekends in Montreal too.

gosh .. with Communatuo is not just weekends.. its about 4-5 days of the week you cannot find a car.. and some parts of the city (ie Beaches) can get extremely difficult trying to get a car. I've given up and buying a car in the near future.. I feel 1000 permits still wont be enough, iirc Communauto has over 3,700 free-floating permits in Montreal, and as I understand they still have issues with everything getting booked on weekends in Montreal too.
Please consider sharing your experience with City Staff and/or the committee; and include that observation about Montreal too!

Staff Contacts:

1697654017461.png

Committee Contact (to get an email submission on the agenda):

1697654099822.png

Or Committee Members:

1697654128639.png

I won't put everyone's contact info, but suggest that Councillors McKelvie and Saxe would be your best bets.

Last edited:
Communauto is heavily prevalent in the Montreal inner core. I am in Montreal this week again, on the plateau, and there are two local depots, one down the street and one about a five minute walk. Local users tell me that is common for the city and are not so sure about the suburbs. Part of the attraction is easy and close access.

Looking at the app now, locations are predominantly the main island between Dorval and Route 25 and then the St Lawrence and the Praires River. Once you cross into the South Shore or north to Saint Martin/Pont Viau/Laval, locations are very few and well spread out. (Although Longueil would have 25 to 30)

If Montreal is an indication of success, this model is driven by the city, not the suburbs. (And I cannot quite tell from the app how many of those suburban locations are near transit)

So, the item to expand the number of floating careshare permits was before Ctte today.

Cllr. Saxe moved to increase the number to 1,800 permits for any one company, but the motion lost.

I think this tells us where Communauto feels its demand level is approaching.

The Councillor then made a second motion which did carry:

1698252334758.png

The item, as amended, carried.

.. is that not kinda a middle finger to communauto ? No you cant increase your fleet .. and oh yeah please remember convert your existing fleet to a EV ! 🤦‍♂️

.. is that not kinda a middle finger to communauto ? No you cant increase your fleet .. and oh yeah please remember convert your existing fleet to a EV ! 🤦‍♂️

They are being given permission to go from 500 permits to 1000

Saxe was trying to get them 1,800

The issue is really that the overall permit number is too low; and that's a function of staff worrying about getting an earful from Councillors who will get an earful from those with permit parking who can't find a space yet there are 3 carshare vehicles on their street.

Of course, the above thinking is backwards, if they would allow 5,000 permits and anyone one company 2,500, you would see reduction in demand for permit parking.

If you raised the cost of permits to fair market value as well, you would probably see permit demand off by a solid 25%.

But lack of courage/ambition is a problem.

Big, big policy change recommended in a report to the next meeting of Infrastructure and Environment.

The City is proposing to:

Eliminate any cap on the total number of flexible carsharing vehicles (currently capped at 2,000 flex permits)

Eliminate the cap on any one company's total permits (currently capped at 1,000)

Plus, they propose to exempt carshare vehicles w/said permits from the 3-hour parking limit and other like rules such that the program can be extended the burbs and streets w/o permit parking.

Just Yay!

Last edited:

Back