News   Aug 08, 2024
 553     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 497     0 

Carlton Cinema is shutting down... and opening back up again

Well, misleading in indicating it was knocked down in 1981 (er, 1973)

The copy under the photo has been altered since I read & posted the link on Monday around noon. It was originally captioned something like "The Carlton Theatre in 1965. The theatre showed its last film Dec. 6, 2009." Further, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" was released in 1963, not 1965.

There are conflicting claims as to whether the last screening at the Odeon Carlton was in 1973 or 1974, not that it really matters much now. I always thought that we saw The Poseidon Adventure there in 1974 so when I looked up the release date yesterday I was surprised to learn it was in 1972.

Thanks for the fix! I took the link from twitter, but didn't check it when I posted it :/ I guess the title of the thread can also be updated...

Excellent news! Though I may be biased, as that's the easiest cinema to get too for me!

Me too. Well, I'm halfway between the Varsity & Carlton Cinemas.

I sure hope that they manage to improve on what was there, even though they have limited ceiling heights. Hopefully the same or similar programming will be reinstated too.

Fantastic news, this made my day!

Although I do not live in the core, and even though the cinemas are tiny with lousy rakes and an air-conditioning system that has been problematic to say the least, this is still good news, as the Carlton is no ordinary cinema owing to its programming. If Magic Lantern does intend to open it under that banner as opposed to their Rainbow brand, then the promise of it continuing to run it as an art house seems to destined to be fulfilled. Let's hope that Magic Lantern can work real magic with the interiors (although I hold out no hope for shortening that bloody-long trip to the washrooms).

There is a God! Well, no. But let that stretch in logic illustrate my current state of happiness.

Great News from a programming perspective, as the Cumberland and the Royal (and sometimes Bloor) are and were not enough to meet the needs of foreign/small/indy film fans.

That said; structurally as opposed to programming wise, can I please have the Eglinton back? ( I preferred the Uptown, but sigh, it is lost now) I want a movie palace back. (while I'm ranting I hate that the Bloor painted its ceiling black and took out the cool art-deco lighting whey they did the ceiling work a couple years ago)

Back to the Carlton, the rakes (sightlines/slopes for those who don't know the term) are terrible at the Carlton but I doubt there is much that can be done, I have no idea what is above/below the Carlton but I doubt there is much room for alteration and I doubt it would be cost-effective in any event)

But hopefully, they can do more than just give the place a new coat of paint and new seats (both a must); fewer rows of seats would improve the sightlines and leg room; that would be nice.........and even just a tiny increase screen size would be great too.

I would assume that they are going to correct the general air of shabbiness that has sat over this place for years now. I strongly suspect that not much can be done about the slope of the floors, or the long walk to the washroom, but, oh well ...

What a joy to see another place in the city tol play something other than "current releases" or second runs of same.

Back